cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift Card Fraud

So I went to sell two gift cards on eBay. They sold and shortly after I received payment and the a  message.   In the message they told me they sent payment and instead of mailing the gift cards would I please just photograph the back and the front with the pin number and send it back to them via message. No need to ship.    Me being stupid it sounded great. I did so. 90 days later they claim they’ve never received them.   Come to find out the person who purchased them and the person who message me we’re two different people. Apparently scammers watch gift cards and when they finally sell they send messages to the seller. And if they guess right in the real seller has already sent payment, you believe it’s the Lidget seller and you oblige the request.    EBay and PayPal will not help in the situation,  I am out $270,  I owe my PayPal account it’s going to collections I think I may stop selling on eBay.    Stupid me. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Gift Card Fraud

So... No can't say nice things
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

Yes expensive lesson learned.

Gift cards are scam magnets.  And scammers troll the sold listings hoping they can trick a seller into redirecting the item to them.

You always send snail mail with tracking to the address listed on the paypal account.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply