cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting more sales and veiws

How do you all get more views and sales without it costing so much to promote an item?  Does anyone know any tricks? Discounts or any secrets lol. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Work on your titles and descriptions, your best tools. 

Look to see how similar sold items were described. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

You are selling so many things...stick to one topic.

And maybe point out errors with an arrow....saw no errors in a stamp and coin up for errors for sale.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Improve your photos - they're dark and it's hard to see what you're selling, and a lot of clutter in the background isn't great for external search engines, either. You want YOUR item to pop on a search page and catch the eye. I know it takes some fiddling to get the right light, but a piece of poster board and a decent overhead lamp works wonders without costing much.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Sell $5 bills for $1- you will get Millions of View and Millions of Sales. 

Otherwise- it's just like the other 1,000,000,000+  (1 Billion+) OTHER listings... you just need to

a.) PAY to be seen

b.) Be the LOWEST price of that item

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

As others have pointed out, your pictures are dark and full of clutter. For example, the tie you have listed looks like it is on a baby blanket with animal pictures. This does not make you look like a serious seller. Plus, you should have the brand name of the tie listed in the title and the specifics. The picture with the Clark’s sandals shows some random junk in the background. Personally, I do not like to see hands in the pictures and I really don’t like to see clothing or other objects laid on the floor for pictures. The paper money you have listed will be a hard sell unless you mention all the countries. I would split them up and sell by each country. Your Bradford Exchange plates are overpriced. I am not crazy about using a washing machine either as your staging area. I would have at least used a white sheet to cover the washing machine. Summary-lighten up you pictures and stage the items better and you will get more views.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The more desirable your items, the more views and sales you will get.

I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I've always thought that it's best to optimise the listings as much as possible (that includes studying some basic SEO, improving photo quality, better descriptions and good selling practices) before bothering with promotions. Unless one is in a ridiculously over-saturated category like I am, one may never even need to promote.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Presentation means a LOT.

You want to take clear, nice pictures.  When I go looking for things, one of the things that will make me skip an item is horrible pictures, too few, not enough detail, etc.

You can have up to 24 pictures in a single listing, and 12 per item in a variation listing.  So don't be camera stingy.  But don't take 7 pictures of one side of an item.  Many of us here probably have good examples of what you should do in our own listings.

Take the photos in this listing for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375316322199

• There are 3 pictures only.
  • All of them have "stuff" around in the background and beside the item etc.
  • Not turned straight so you can easily read it.

These are things that would turn me off from buying that card.  Why??   Because did they properly handle it? These can be damaged by static for example.

From the 3 pictures I can deduce that the seller didn't take very careful handling of the card into account.

Then here is an example of one that is done with more consideration:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186287752800

Yes, its a card that I sold recently.  But you get the idea.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Frankly all your prices (and shipping) are sky-high for what the items are. And "error" coins (unauthenticated) with a no-returns policy don't exactly beg for views.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@love1973k 

Having a variety of stuff is a good thing.  Buyers like variety.  

Before venturing into promoted listings or any of the things that cost more money, I would strongly suggest that you review each of your listings for what can be improved.  I see a variety of things that may help you increase your sales.

What I usually suggest to new sellers is to always think like a buyer when you are creating a listing.  What words would you use to search for the item?  What do you want to know about the product?

Some of your titles are way too short.  You are leaving the most valuable space a seller has empty.  For example "Vintage Tie".   No color, pattern type, material or any details at all.  Heck even in the description for this tie you don't give any of that info.

Some of your descriptions are really lacking as well.  Some pictures are really good and others not so much.

I would just sit back, relax and go through listings one by one and see what you can do to make it more inviting for a buyer.  Don't leave unanswered questions about what the item is.  You need to verbally describe it in detail.  And make sure to state clearly ANY flaws, no matter how small.  Do not depend on your pictures to be your description.  You need to have a good detailed description too.

If you have any questions, please ask.  Maybe on a specific listing, some suggestions to improve it.  We are here to help you succeed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

You need to do everything stated above and improve you listings so that when they are seen, they have the best chance of selling.
AND THEN.... You just have to "wait your turn".  That's the best way I know how to describe it. 
It's as if every seller, or every item is on some sort of rotation-vs-search result placement. 
Nothing much you can do about that, just keep listing items.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The suggestions for improving your listings are right on.

But even with improved listings you, like I, offer a lot of stuff with limited demand.

Cutting prices would probably not help for most of them.

The best way to make more money is to list a lot more items.

This means being very frugal when you buy, having the space to store them, and a system for finding them when they are sold.

I am not a believer in many of the ways some sellers think Ebay manipulates the search results, but I do believe that if they do manipulate the search results, more listings will allow for more of your listings to be "hot".

Selling on Ebay with merchandise which does not have broad appeal means having to wait for a buyer who wants the item, and not doing anything that scares him/she away

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Agree with all suggestions above and add my own.  List consistently.  Like 5 items a day, start a draft bank if you can't list on certain days, such as the weekends, so that you can have listings to draw from.       .

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I would also take a look at your shipping rates as they seem very off to me.  Being so much higher than competitors listings will turn a buyer off of you immediately.  Are you checking comps as well?  If not, that's a definite must.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply