cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a request for discounts

Lately I have been getting requests asking me to discount some items if they buy multiples.

Is there a way to send an invoice in advance to a customer for multiple listings combined?

If not, what is the best way to tackle something like this?

Until now I have been telling them to

(1) send me the list of items in a message, then

(2) i reply with a discounted price and

(3) they should buy it at full price and I will refund the difference.

This has worked so far but I find it a bit tedious and the customer can lose interest.

Any ideas on how to handle this in a better way?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@nyvaluecomics 

Set up multiple item discounts through Promotions Manager.

Discounts will be automatic when they use "Add to cart".

You can use "Volume Pricing" if you want to do it on a listing by listing basis, or you can set up multiple "Order Discounts" for different amounts per extra item if you want the discounts to span your whole store or just a few multiple items that normally get purchased together.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/promotions-manager?id=4094

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks - I am aware of that feature but I dont think it helps me (unless I misunderstood yor reply).

I usually don't give discounts, as my pricing strategy is to give the best price from the start.

But I do make exceptions and that is where Id like a feature as described in my question.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You could always just tell them you're not a wholesaler. = )

I'll give a break on shipping, but you don't get to ask for a discount at the checkout in a retail store just because you're buying more than one. Don't know why they think it should happen here.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@nyvaluecomics wrote:

Thanks - I am aware of that feature but I dont think it helps me (unless I misunderstood yor reply).

I usually don't give discounts, as my pricing strategy is to give the best price from the start.

But I do make exceptions and that is where Id like a feature as described in my question.

I do not know of any such feature, but I certainly don't know everything.  I have done what you described in your OP. 

I have several buyers that purchase regularly and we have established a routine.  They send me a list of what they want to purchase, I go in and change the price on those items (not a markdown), send them a message when I have finished changing the prices...boom, bang, done all sold.  Communication is everything with this scenario.  I try to make sure that my buyer is ready when I do do the price change.  Sometimes it is just not easy to make the sale, make the buyer happy and have a profit for yourself.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you have multiples of an item, then the markdown in the shopping cart makes sense.

If all your items are OOAK , as mine are, then making a listing of all the items for the customer is possible.

Cut and paste the descriptions of everything into the description, and enter at least one picture of each item. (I have a desktop file of my scans, so this is pretty easy.)

Then enter the agreed price and shipping.

And this is the tricky bit, the title is the customer's eBay ID. And that's all, not private no exclusive. Just a title no one would Search.

Make it Fixed Price. Close the included items.

Give the customer a deadline-- say 48 hours.

If he doesn't buy, end the special listing and put him on your Blocked Bidder List as a time waster.

Relist from your Unsold List at your leisure.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

What I do is just ask what items they want and then I split up total amount, for example if I am going to charge $100 for 4 items, I just have the buyer send an offer of 25 for each item and I accept. Everyone happy and it is easy, and no refunding.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

All helpful solutions that  i currently do -including the unique listing, thanks.

I think I know what it was, I used to have my listings unchecked for "immediate paypal payment", so in the awaiting payment section you have the option to give a further discount. But then I changed everything to immediate payment because people werent paying right away. Does that make sense people?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@nyvaluecomics 

You could also just send the buyer an offer on each of the items that they want.

Figure out the complete discount

Have the buyer send you a message on each of the items

Use "Send buyer an offer" through messaging for the amount agreed upon before hand.

The option to send the buyer an offer only exists on the first message that they send you.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 9 of 9
latest reply