cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gallery view shows only 5 words now! Is this new?

Since ebay is so antiquated they still don't have email, I'll have to post everything publicly and hope their engineers read English, and read this.

I always use gallery view. The description has been truncated to 5 words, or 4 words if you USE ALL CAPS.  

Is this new? 5 words is useless! For me as a seller, and certainly for buyers! And WHY would ebay not warn us of this, so we could put all important words first?

Cartoons...because pictures speak louder with words.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

This might be more effective if posted on the Technical Issues board. Someone there may even know what's wrong and how to fix it. However, it's most likely that with the spring update, a LOT of stuff is just plain messed up.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yep, I'm just getting about 7 words and a letter or two of the next word, not all caps. That's looking at my own. Looking at yours, most or all is there in gallery view.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Ah, there's a difference. When going to a store and looking at items in gallery view, titles are truncated. When looking at gallery view through "listings," the entire titles are there or nearly all there. Strange.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

That's true, when I look at my own listings I see the whole title, but when I look in general search, it's 5 words. And the picture is super small, too. Maybe it's a glitch, not a new terrible listing plan.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I'm not looking in a store. Just things I have to look up in general to get prices. But I always look at Sold....

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Your listings look completely normal to me. Are you on pc or laptop? Or using the app?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I hope it's a glitch and not a planned change, except they don't reallly do a good job of fixing glitches most of the time. Lately I've begun to think the programmers do more tinkering in the overnight hours, and the things they do perhaps have unintended consequences in other areas. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I was looking at Sold earlier and everything was normal. But I was in List view.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Your listings also look perfectly fine to me in either view. I'm using a pc and Firefox browser.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

They must have fixed it. Both views look okay to me too now.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It's 2 weeks later, and it's still the same.

The only difference is sometimes the picture in gallery is super tiny, and sometimes it's normal.

But only a few words. I should rewrite all the important words to put them in the first 5.

1-gallery search ebay.JPG

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@cartooness

That brings up what I have been asking for a while: when you do "list" within your store rather than gallery, obviously the Bot AI has chosen what they think describes your item. Some are OK, others are gobbly **bleep**.

My question: if I go in and revise my listing text, does it automatically change what the Bots already picked up from my original listing? And my second question: can someone tell me how to re-write my scripts to have the Bots capture what best describes the item? What parameters is eBay using to pick and choose what is put in their 2 line description? I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. Thanks.

I just noticed today, and within "list" not gallery: I have it set to show Brand name off to the side of the item. For those items where eBay had the Brand name listed in their Item Specifics, the Brand name is there. For those where I had to insert the Brand name as it wasn't in the eBay drop down IS, it is NOT there. That now forces me on all listings to be sure to put the Brand in the title (some posters have said to not put the Brand in title, put it in the description).  And my other theory, seller creating their own item specifics into IS does not get viewed in search.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Well, as a test again...I went in and revised the title on my carving knife/fork. Go into store and same information as originally submitted. Maybe I need to wait 24 hours for the change to happen? Doubt it cause I clicked on ebay look at your revision and it is there, but not revised in the Store. This is just nutso.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Sorry, just looked and now the change in title is now there. But I still have a question: what are the Bot parameters used to decide what is in the 2 sentence description when in "lists."??? 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply