cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Listings Holiday Promotions?

Every year for many, many years eBay has given me one or two special promotions of free listings, usually 500 or 700, right around the holidays.  I've gotten so used to it that I'd start preparing listings ahead of time in expectation.
No special promotions this year?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Free Listings Holiday Promotions?

Thank you. 

As a side note, why are people on these forums so judgy?  I come in and ask a question and several people, instead of answering, want to know what's wrong with ME.
It's kind of sad.  I'd think this would be a friendly forum, not a place where people jump on other people.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I have over 100 listings sitting in my  Draft folder.  I have over 500 listings sitting in my Unsold folder, many of which will expire and disappear soon.  No, I don't blow through all 200 listings on the first day of every month.  No, it doesn't make financial sense for me to buy a store or pay listing fees.  No, my items aren't junk or overpriced, they're good items looking for a home and sometimes need more than one try before a buyer comes along who wants them.  If I can do the listings, I make many sales.  Then eBay makes money, I make money, and the buyers get neat items they like.  If I paid for a store (or paid listing fees) I'd have less money at the end than at the beginning.  And... I don't know... I'm just a regular guy with some boxes of comics I sell in my spare time, mostly to raise money to buy other comics for my collection.  I'm not Walmart-AmazonCo with a gigantic business.  I do have more than 200 items though.  And, no, I haven't used all 200 yet.
To the person who pointed that out... are you suggesting if I blow through my 200 items at the beginning of the month eBay will see that and give me a free listings promotion?

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

to luckythewinner and pburn
Thanks.   I didn't know this was an option.  I thought it was against the rules.
Now that I know I'll create some new accounts.  I can manage my inventory by listing specific types of items in separate accounts. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

“As a side note, why are people on these forums so judgy?  I come in and ask a question and several people, instead of answering, want to know what's wrong with ME.
It's kind of sad.  I'd think this would be a friendly forum, not a place where people jump on other people.”

Hi, the forum attracts a wide variance of personalities. Sorry if you felt jumped on. That’s not a good feeling, i know.

There are some great posters here who genuinely just want to assist others, so it helps sometimes to ignore the “jumpers” and focus on the helpful members.

Hang in there and please come back anytime. Your voice is valuable. Happy holidays, and good luck with your sales!

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

If all your accounts feed the same Paypal /Managed Payments account, then you keep track of sales from there, not from eBay itself.

The only tricky bits are finding which accounts you need to leave feedback on, which is not compulsory, and marking items shipped, which can be done from PP/MP.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

No, I don't blow through all 200 listings on the first day of every month.

Since it is generally accepted that we do better with newly listed and about to close items, it makes sense to list a few items every day.

If you have six items listing every day and six items closing, you have found two active Searches.

And as items sell, since I gather each listing is more or less unique, you can pull one out from the Unsolds.

Those Unsolds last 90 days---- and now the arithmetic is too hard for my dysnumeric brain-- but you can probably hold onto them longer if you have six being listed and replaced every day.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Of course I'd be starting over when it comes to feedback score

Yes, and it is harder to maintain Top Rated Sellers across all of them.

I list different item types on each account - albums on one account, 45s on another, posters and flyers on a third account, books, on a fourth, etc. That helps me know which account the sale was on without even thinking about it.

Another downside to be aware of is that buyers who want items on different accounts cannot combine purchases. Not really an issue for me, though.

I'd have more work keeping track of all the accounts logging in and out

Agreed - that is a bit of a pain.

Is that allowed under the rules?

I wouldn't suggest it unless it was allowed.

Multiple Accounts Policy

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-policies/multiple-accounts-policy?id=4232

"There are many reasons why users would choose to have more than one eBay account. For example, users who like to buy and sell may want separate accounts for each activity. Other users who maintain businesses on eBay may prefer to manage separate accounts for different product lines.

Whether you have one account or more, eBay expects users to manage each of their accounts effectively in order to meet the highest buyer and seller standards. These standards and rules regarding performance, risk, and best practices are applicable for each account and help ensure a safe and positive experience on eBay."

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Thank you so much!  I've created a second account and started listing.  When I have 200 listings completed there I can start a third.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

One other issue, I don't know if you have to deal with this: 
I do calculated shipping and allow combined shipping.  Doing a combined invoice might be a challenge across multiple accounts if someone wants to buy from both of my accounts.  Is this something you have to deal with?
Thanks again,
Charlie

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@rushcomics wrote:

One other issue, I don't know if you have to deal with this: 
I do calculated shipping and allow combined shipping.  Doing a combined invoice might be a challenge across multiple accounts if someone wants to buy from both of my accounts.  Is this something you have to deal with?

I mentioned this in my post. You are pretty much out of luck; you cannot combine shipping across multiple accounts. It is also risky to combine shipments, because you cannot enter the same tracking number on two different accounts. 

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

You also mentioned that the chances of this are pretty minimal. Especially if the different stores carry different product lines. (Bibles and lingerie/ hammers and earrings)

How often on a buying spree do you buy items from several sellers and expect to pay them all with one payment?

Actually, I have a further question about multiple accounts. With PP I have all my accounts feeding one Paypal account.

Can I do the same when I am finally forced to switch to Managed Payments?

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

You also mentioned that the chances of this are pretty minimal. 

I never said "the chances of this were pretty minimal". 

I said "Not really an issue for me, though." (emphasis added). 

Not the same thing at all. 

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Actually, I have a further question about multiple accounts. With PP I have all my accounts feeding one Paypal account.

Can I do the same when I am finally forced to switch to Managed Payments?

I have six eBay accounts that are connected to the same checking account. I have successfully received payouts from all of them. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

I also have more than one selling account here, highly recommend it. I have one for items that do not run under a tracking number so I cannot get TRS status but I don't care. On that one I sell stamps, military patches, things like that.

This account is another line of items (mostly stone and crystal carvings plus some odds and ends), all go tracking.

I have heard but cannot confirm that new selling accounts get a bump in search engine placement, anyone know if that still seems to be the case? I haven't made another account in a couple of years.

Make more accounts! It's is AOK with eBay 🙂

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

when I looked on 12-3, the OP had nothing listed!

there is a problem with people using multiple I.D.'s!

What names, bank accounts, & SSN are they using? Family members? Deceased family members? 

eBay need to clean it up, but I know it is not a quick fix.

take care

Message 30 of 31
latest reply