cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Gift with purchase

Any sellers giving a free surprise gift with purchase?  (not buy 1 get 1, buy 3 get 1 etc.)   

If so, do you advertise that you're giving a free surprise gift with purchase in the listing title or description? 

Do you state what the free gift is or send it as a surprise? Are sellers allowed to give surprise gifts?

Has it encouraged sales or repeat buyers?

I used to do this regularly when a buyer made multiple purchases.  The free gift was always appropriate for what the buyer purchased.  It seemed to increase my repeat buyers. I stopped a few years ago when one buyer left me a neg feedback stating her free gift was not big enough. (eBay removed that feedback).

A buyer purchased multiple serving pieces from me for her daughter's bridal shower a couple of months ago and I sent along a similar gift for the bride.  They loved it and sent me a thank you.

Another buyer recently purchased multiple items and I sent her an appropriate gift.  Received positive feedback for the items.  Now I'm wondering whether she liked the gift or not.  (I didn't expect to be thanked but it would have been nice to know). 

I realize the buyer can keep the free gift if they decide to return the purchased item.  Not an issue for me as it was a gift.

Any thoughts on giving free surprise gifts with purchase?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Free Gift with purchase

I include free surprise gifts all the time. Latest one was sent simply because the customer buying didn't haggle me or bombard me with lowball offers first. He simply paid what I was asking therefore I sent him Double! I sent along a Thank you note explaining why I did what I did. 

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Free Gift with purchase

I have sometimes included a description line (or a photo with text) for AUCTIONS (only), saying "To the winning bidder: If you pay fast I will throw in surprise bonus goodies".  -It definitely WORKS, but the problem is a couple of times I forgot to do it.  Matter of fact I JUST did that with my 2 recent auctions, so I had to ship out little goodie bags today, about $4 each for shipping, and let those 2 buyers know that's what their second tracking numbers are for.  So embarrassing, ha!!!  

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Free Gift with purchase

One thing if you don't do it every time .... those who do receive extras will often thank you for it in feedback, and that's possibly a risk of ticking off those who see that and don't get anything extra.  

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Free Gift with purchase

@gurlcat wrote:

One thing if you don't do it every time .... those who do receive extras will often thank you for it in feedback, and that's possibly a risk of ticking off those who see that and don't get anything extra.  

You would think that (most) customers would be smart enough not to do that ... but they still do.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Free Gift with purchase

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply