cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

So eBay has completely let me down.

A rundown, eBay refunded the buyer on December 26th when I opened my last thread where my PayPal went negative. My appeal was denied despite sufficient evidence and even a police report against the buyer. 

A couple days ago the buyer opened another case on PAYPAL and then last night ebay DEBITED ME AGAIN(!!)??! To refund the buyer. 

basically the buyer got two refunds and now wants a third one.

CA80BEF5-1AB3-4687-80A1-93524787BE2E.jpeg

Original transaction refunded on December 26th caused my paypal account to go negative 

chargeback from buyer filed on saturday

and a refund to the buyer (again) from eBay last night

AND to top it all off now eBay is telling me I can’t sell anything anymore. Even though the buyer was the one trying to scam me. Now the buyer has TWO REFUNDS

AND MY BAG

and obviously they got greedy and wanted a third one from PayPal. Yet I am the one who is being punished unfairly. I have NEVER had any case opened against me (or even opened any kind of case against someone) in 10 years of buying and occasionally selling on eBay. 

So I basically lost nearly $8000 and a $6000 bag. 

I called PayPal and they told me it’s an eBay problem, I called eBay and they told me it’s a PayPal problem.

Completely unfair despite no history of claims and disputes opened against me, yet the buyer had abused this system before and eBay ADMITTED that! 
but they said there’s nothing they can do.

This can not be legal.

So what are my options here? I am livid. 

Message 1 of 473
latest reply
472 REPLIES 472

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

@shoppingisfun.x wrote:

I’m not sure if eBay will provide documents for a missing contents claim but I’ll try to get some information from them if I can do that 

This can't possibly have anything to do with the buyer claiming they didn't receive what they ordered.  The refund was given on an INR claim.

If the buyer were to have told Ebay something was missing or wrong with the purse, Ebay would have then had the buyer open an INAD.  

This is strictly about the delivery of this item.  Nothing more.  Any other things we can guess the buyer may have started claiming about the item would be irrelevant.  

Besides if the buyer started claiming something was wrong with the item, that would be to admit they HAD the item.  Hence it WAS delivered !!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 181 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

@shoppingisfun.x wrote:

The CC company told him they were going to credit the balance back while they investigate the charge, since he explained the entire situation with eBay to the CC company and the CC company marked it as a fraudulent charge. 
So right now they’re just investigating on their end, but the CC rep told us to not worry about it right now. They’re also not going after eBay or PayPal for this charge 

in general since this kind of activity is not common in the account (I don’t spend $4000 regularly) they’ll just credit it back from their own pocket since it was a fraudulent charge on their end.

That is what we commonly refer to as a Chargeback.  So at some point PP will be in contact with you.  BTW this only temporarily relieves you of the responsibility to pay this amount on your dad's CC.  If the process finds that the charge was fine, it will appear back on the statement, even if you close the card and that amount will be owed.

PP is likely to fight you on this.

Message 182 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

@eleanor*rigby wrote:
Except, while seller may have been debited twice, we haven't seen any evidence the buyer was credited twice, have we?

So it matters if the other $4,000 went somewhere else?  Wherever that might that be??  So since we don't know for sure that the buyer got the second $4,000 the OP should just do what exactly?  What would you be doing if this was your $8,000?

Message 183 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

This whole situation makes me sick and I want to thank you for all you efforts to assist the OP. 

My suggestion would be to keep 'details' limited here for the public to see.   There may be 'lurkers' or 'new members' that could and will use this opportunity to damage this seller even more.

I believe that eBay has mud on their face because of how they have handled all the details.

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 184 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

On the phone, if I had understood correctly they told my dad they weren’t going after PayPal or eBay. So I’m not sure if they’re charging back because I’ve never actually done a chargeback before

but I’ll keep an eye on my PP account!

we also forwarded the charges my bank account to the CC company 

Message 185 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

@shoppingisfun.x wrote:

On the phone, if I had understood correctly they told my dad they weren’t going after PayPal or eBay. So I’m not sure if they’re charging back because I’ve never actually done a chargeback before

but I’ll keep an eye on my PP account!

we also forwarded the charges my bank account to the CC company 

Its a chargeback.  That is how they handle these things.  The debt is NOT forgiven.  They are just investigating.  It could end up that it will still be owed if you lose the chargeback.

Message 186 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

@iaintdoingit wrote:

This whole situation makes me sick and I want to thank you for all you efforts to assist the OP. 

My suggestion would be to keep 'details' limited here for the public to see.   There may be 'lurkers' or 'new members' that could and will use this opportunity to damage this seller even more.

I believe that eBay has mud on their face because of how they have handled all the details.

@iaintdoingit 

Very kind of you to say.  IDK what the heck is going on here.  But I've seen enough to tell me it is a hot mess.  As a seller is scare the heck out of me.  IDK who is right and who is wrong, but I do not something is clearly not right.  To say it is a puzzle would be an understatement.

Message 187 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

Have you ever seen a double sided puzzle?  That what this is!  Mind blowing -- just mind blowing.

Message 188 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

Message 189 is an example of a new poster that just signed up to 'contribute' to this thread in a damaging way.

Message 189 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

Keep your chin up OP...it will hopefully all get sorted out. Night all.
Message 190 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

"Yes please! If any one has experience with filing these kind of claims please let me know! 
but I also don’t want to get in trouble for filing a false claim since from what it seems like the buyer did get the item."

I would be very careful about filing a "missing contents" claim with USPS unless you have solid documentation that the buyer is claiming the box arrived in this condition after being mis-delivered.  This was only a suggestion to try this IF it is confirmed that the buyer made this claim. 

The other thing I want to note is that brian.t who responded in this thread clearly said "The OPs situation has been reviewed in full detail and the correct action was taken." which to me, and everyone else posting here, says that we are missing a very important detail in all of this.   What I can't understand is why they would not share that detail with the OP.  At this point, all we're doing is guessing what happened because it's disconcerting that this could happen as it's being described to us.

By the way, is anyone else having trouble inserting quotes from the post we're responding to?  My "insert quote" button has been missing for the last few days. 

Message 191 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

@csbbct wrote:

The other thing I want to note is that brian.t who responded in this thread clearly said "The OPs situation has been reviewed in full detail and the correct action was taken." which to me, and everyone else posting here, says that we are missing a very important detail in all of this.   What I can't understand is why they would not share that detail with the OP.  At this point, all we're doing is guessing what happened because it's disconcerting that this could happen as it's being described to us.

I have to agree about this. Unfortunately, the OP has been so upset by the whole thing, that the information in her posts has been fragmentary, and some important information has never been provided. It would appear that some messages about the original case were missed by the OP when they happened, and have not been tracked down or shared with us. 

It appears that OP was double-charged for the refund, but what happened to the two charges is not clear. I believe the buyer has a refund, but probably just one. The other charge is somewhere, a credit on a balance somewhere, but whether it's in one of the OP's family's accounts, or eBay's, we don't know. The situation  is understandably confusing because the OP's family's accounts belong to several family members, and presumably there is limited access to them to verify balances and charges.

I don't believe the buyer has gotten a double refund. The original refund was processed as an e-check, which means the buyer would not get it until it cleared (which apparently happened on Jan 4). OP's information shows that the e-check did not clear for at least 9-10 days (Dec 26 to Jan 4) which is the time point when an e-check normally fails for NSF, and PayPal gives up on it. Also, the buyer did not start the chargeback until Jan 4, so it was started before they received the refund when the e-check finally cleared (Jan 4) or from the CC charge (Jan 5). I'm sure that PayPal will get the chargeback thrown out.

I believe that the double-charge happened because the first refund did not go through properly. It would appear that the e-check was first thought to have failed to clear, then went through after all.  This is what needs to be straightened out now.  

-------------------------------------------------------

@csbbct wrote:

By the way, is anyone else having trouble inserting quotes from the post we're responding to?  My "insert quote" button has been missing for the last few days. 

The Quote feature is now an icon, instead of a button. You can also click on the 3 dots, to find other features, some new, some that were available before.

image.png

Message 192 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

"By the way, is anyone else having trouble inserting quotes from the post we're responding to? My "insert quote" button has been missing for the last few days. "

I've never seen that button, I've always just used cut and paste.
Message 193 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

You learn something new every day...thanks for the info!
Message 194 of 473
latest reply

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

The fact that you are not allowed to sell anymore, makes me wonder about the authenticity of the bag?  I know there were questions about this on the last thread, but those posts got deleted by the mods.

Message 195 of 473
latest reply