cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Buyers on eBay - SELLERS SHOULD READ

Reflagging this post from 2020 as it's 2022 and the exact same address is being used by fraudulent buyers and credit card thieves. It's costing me tons of money in relisting and ad fees. Ebay hasn't been responsive to multiple complaints that I've lodged and the fraud account is still active... Ebay needs to start policing the platform for people who are robbing innocent people and hurting sellers who have to cancel, relist, or pay for return shipping. 

**SEE POST BELOW FROM 2020**

So, I have endured a string of dozens of purchases from new accounts that are clearly fraudulent accounts.  All accounts were only a day or two old, all bought one or two .99 cent items and several new accounts are using the same first name with all different user IDs.  The biggest give away was that all the accounts save one, were to have the item(s) purchased be shipped to a remote location in Oregon - 

13822 NE Airport Way
Portland ,  OR 97251-9614

I looked up this address, it claims to be a business called "ReShip".   I checked the BBB for information on this company and the BBB had only this information taken from the BBB website - 

Licensing:

On 12/16/2016 BBB confirmed that ReShip.com had not obtained a necessary license from Oregon Secretary of State. BBB encourages you to contact the following agency or agencies to confirm this information - ID # 5039862200

Furthermore, all the accounts had names that DID NOT correspond to the name on the Paypal payment.   As a seasoned eBay seller, it was clear that all the accounts were fake and were more than likely using stolen credit card numbers and purchasing small value items to "test" if a stolen credit card works.  

ALL the buyers had a similar string of gibberish after the first name under the shipping address

BSFMZZMZ

and others had this one 

-  NST610

I would not be surprised if others show up or have shown up elsewhere.  I want to hear from other eBay sellers if they are experiencing similar issues.  I cannot find any way to report a fraudulent "buyer" account, eBay does not have that option anywhere that I can find.  They only offer the ability to report fake "seller" accounts and spoof emails.  This does not help one bit when you are constantly having to cancel and block fake buyer accounts.  It starts to waste precious time having to do all this and have no way to report it or stop it.  eBay needs to get off its gold plated rear end and do something!  They should be able to spot patterns of fraudulent accounts.  All these accounts have similar things in common with all different names.  They are being created to "test" purchase to see if stolen credit cards work and it needs to stop ASAP eBay!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fraudulent Buyers on eBay - SELLERS SHOULD READ

I've cancelled many a Freight Forwarding order I felt was iffy due to low feedback or high dollar item.  I cancel with the reason something is wrong with the buyer's address.  Have had no repercussions. 

This remains an issue eBay needs to address.   Years ago the specific wording gave sellers the ability to block buyers living in a country you don't ship to.  It was changed to have a shipping address in a country you don't ship to creating the freight forwarding loophole.  

International packages are more susceptible to damage as they have the opportunity to be open by the forwarding services and customs agents.   There is also the currency exchange fee.  I'm not in the GSP so my pricing does not include this possibility.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

We ship to a Freight Forwarder in Oregon all the time.

No issues, especially lately - every day several to a FF.  Am guessing due to the international social unrest/conflict(s), etc.

The gibberish is the buyer account identifier.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

That's not a string of gibberish.   It's an identifier to the freight forwarder for where the pkg goes.   I have no issues w/FF's.  Though for sure there are some scammers that use them, but the majority of their customers are not scammers. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I've shipped to buyers (mostly Chinese) many times that use that particular forwarder. One of many located in Oregon because it is a Sales Tax free State. In the east the forwarders have now mostly moved to Delaware for the same reason.

Great customers, many buy in bulk and come back for more.

While some of the people using forwarders may be up to no good these forwarders have thousands if not tens of thousands of customers doesn't mean that most, many are scamming, probably just a tiny minority just like selling to US buyers.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

SAME thing happened to me, same ship-to address. Don't listen to nay-sayers, go with your gut instinct. If you Google this address, you will see many, many reports of scams and fraud. Paypal is horrible, idc what anyone tries to say. I know what I've been through with them. It's time to start reporting this to the Feds, and your state's attorney general. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I've cancelled many a Freight Forwarding order I felt was iffy due to low feedback or high dollar item.  I cancel with the reason something is wrong with the buyer's address.  Have had no repercussions. 

This remains an issue eBay needs to address.   Years ago the specific wording gave sellers the ability to block buyers living in a country you don't ship to.  It was changed to have a shipping address in a country you don't ship to creating the freight forwarding loophole.  

International packages are more susceptible to damage as they have the opportunity to be open by the forwarding services and customs agents.   There is also the currency exchange fee.  I'm not in the GSP so my pricing does not include this possibility.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This address is a freight forwarder. The freight forwarder is not a fraud, but some of the users of that service are frauds.

The same could be said about the USPS. The USPS is not a fraud, but some of the users of that service are  frauds.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

they probably are not scamming you for 99 cents theres much bigger and better prey out there

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank you!  I just posted a question regarding a similar (if not exact) issue. I had a package returned as not being deliverable.  "Buyer"  that opened account on same day as order, purchased an inexpensive item.  I couldn't figure out what the scam was but the credit card test makes sense. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Someone is using this address on my Ebay account & Stoneberry credit.

I now have these accounts locked so they can not use them so if they do try to make orders on any of these account/s they will be canceled . So whoever is doing this is just wasting their time I have no need for a Bulova Corporate Exclusive Classic watch or an Apple iPhone X 256GB Unlocked GSM Smartphone 

Also want to add that I do not keep person information listed if this happens either so the laugh is on you 

Not my first rodeo  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@bgiglio85 

This is an old thread from 2022.  OP doesn't appear to be selling anymore, so I doubt they'll reply & they selected the best answer. 

Should you have any questions or concerns it is always a good idea to start your own thread to get the help and advice for your specific issue. 

Happy Selling

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply