cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud / Scammer

Here's a new one I just got today. Mother-of-the bride needs a jewelry piece right away. Willing to pay for expedited shipping. By the time I got to the message tonight and responded, I clicked on their ebay page only to find the account was deleted. I would say in this instance, a bit of delay in responding to a message served in preventing me from falling victim to yet another scammer. They're rampant on Ebay. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fraud / Scammer

I appreciate you and your support.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Fraud / Scammer

@unionpax 

Thank goodness the acct is NARU and the headache of a scam purchase avoided.

Unfortunately, every site has fraud and stuff like this.  Better sales await!  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

I never understand why a buyer thinks their lack of  planning is the seller's emergency.

Bullet dodged

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

That may or may not be from a legit problem with the buyer.  On December 3rd Ebay closed some buyer and seller accounts due to a glitch without cause.  They say they now have them all cleaned up, but you never know.  

Since your buyer was completely a new member on Dec. 7th, it is impossible to tell if they closed it because they wanted to, or because Ebay had a problem with the buyer or because there was a glitch.  

Just saying there may be more to this story.  Just because they asked questions and/or are new does not make them a bad seller out to scam you.  It can be dangerous for you to make such assumptions.

You don't have any feedback as a seller yet.  I bet you would hate it if other members made assumptions about you because of that!!!  We all started someplace, without exception.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

@mam98031 

You are right that too many posters cry "scam" without considering other possibilities.

But jewelry?

That the "mother of the bride" needs urgently?

And will pay extra to receive fast?

I'm calling shenanigans.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

Unless it was a ''shot gun'' wedding ? Get it ? In my reply I posted ''Dodged a bullet'' LOL

Yeah, I may need to take a break..............

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@mam98031 

You are right that too many posters cry "scam" without considering other possibilities.

But jewelry?

That the "mother of the bride" needs urgently?

And will pay extra to receive fast?

I'm calling shenanigans.

Why?  They didn't purchase the item?  They only asked questions and then disappeared.  I can't count that high as to how many times that happened to me over the years.  By new buyers, casual buyers and seasoned buyers.  I don't however remember one closing their account, but that may be likely because I rarely if ever look.

Besides wedding plans are often fast moving things.  Especially when you are on a time crunch.  They may have simply gone a different direction.

But let us be REALLY clear here.  There CAN NOT be a SCAM unless there is something in it for the person performing / conducting the SCAM.  What happened here was no scam, the seller is only out a few minutes of their time.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

I would say in this instance, a bit of delay in responding to a message served in preventing me from falling victim to yet another scammer. 

@unionpax 

And Harry Potter would say, "Mischief managed!"

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

@unionpax wrote:

I would say in this instance, a bit of delay in responding to a message served in preventing me from falling victim to yet another scammer. They're rampant on Ebay. 

Simply declining to alter your shipping terms would also have prevented this transaction. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I would say in this instance, a bit of delay in responding to a message served in preventing me from falling victim to yet another scammer. 

@unionpax 

And Harry Potter would say, "Mischief managed!"

I am really surprised that so many are LEAPING to this conclusion.  The buyer asked about getting Expedited shipping AND said they were WILLING to pay for it.  What in that statement leads you to believe the buyer was trying to get something over on the seller.

During the time that it took the OP to answer they buyer's email, the buyer's account was closed for a completely UNKNOWN reason to anyone here.  Yes some are ASSUMING again it must be for some nefarious reason.  WHY?

None of these assumptions make any sense to be.  If I were the seller I would have been VERY happy that the buyer emailed me and asked me the question.  So many don't, then purchase the item and demand an upgraded shipping without paying for it.  This buyer was NOT doing that.  I'm simply amazed at these comments.  This buyer did NOTHING to give anyone the impression they wanted to steal from the OP.  it is all in your imaginations and not based in anything the buyer actually did.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

Better safe, than sorry. I would say be vigilant. I am a new seller to ebay but with a legal background in online cyber bullying, and other online related scams, it's more common than one would imagine. I researched 2 prior sellers and both came up on the ebay scam buyer list with both having mail fraud alert on them. Trust your instincts and research every single address. Like I said, I saved myself from a loss of two items, one was a high end item.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

I appreciate you and your support.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

Thank you everyone. You are all are just amazing and offered tremendous help. I agree with all of your comments. You all offered very intelligent and insightful help into the situation and gave me some valuable information that served to educate me. I am truly appreciative of all of you and the time you took to respond and give your input based on your knowledge and experience. I can't express enough of my gratitude to you all.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

@unionpax wrote:

Better safe, than sorry. I would say be vigilant. I am a new seller to ebay but with a legal background in online cyber bullying, and other online related scams, it's more common than one would imagine. I researched 2 prior sellers and both came up on the ebay scam buyer list with both having mail fraud alert on them. Trust your instincts and research every single address. Like I said, I saved myself from a loss of two items, one was a high end item.

So you are of the opinion if a buyer asks you if you would be willing to ship via an expedited method that they were willing to pay for as well, they are a scammer?

This is simply silly.  I encourage my buyers to ask questions before purchasing.  It can resolve things and avoid problems.  While you may have some fantastic legal background.  I have 20+ years on the ground dealing with these kinds of transactions and lots of them.

I'm glad you were able to resolve your own issue.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Fraud / Scammer

I canceled FOUR orders recently- one two months ago and the other three within the last few days.  When an item of jewelry sells in minutes I am grateful.  This was the first scam.  I printed the label on a Friday.  Since it was Friday, I didn't need to journey immediately to our local USPS to drop the pkg.  eBay notified me quickly that the Buyer was NOT a registered user.  eBay advised me NOT to ship.  Fine.  This was around Sept 10 2021.  I waited two months to relist the item.  Again, it sold in minutes- different Buyer- same general geographic area around Portland OR.  I talked to eBay again.  Again, they advised me to cancel so I did.  I relisted again, this time within days of the canceled transaction.  Item sold in minutes again- different Buyer- same general geographic area.  Another cancel.  Today, I received payment for another jewelry item, different Buyer, same general geographic area.  Talked to eBay again.  Address was for Allstate Insurance.  I clicked to view their site.  No way Allstate would put up such a pathetic web site.  eBay advised me to cancel again, which I did this afternoon.  All these Buyers had positive feedback and NO negative feedback.  One of the Buyers had documented payment issues per eBay but no way for a Seller to know that from feedback.  All the Buyers had an oriental version of their user ID along with their Anglicised version.  When a Monet item sells within minutes of the listing (33,000 jewelry items for sale now), and then it happens again with a different Buyer, and then again and yet a fourth time, Feds need to get involved.  eBay told me that the multiple cancelations would not reflect negatively on me.  I want to believe, but my sales have recently dropped to zero.  eBay needs to do something- I want to say stop screwing with the Search results by downgrading.  Since I can't prove my position, I can't say it- even though I just did.

I'm glad that I don't normally sell jewelry.  It hasn't been much fun for me so far.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply