cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced Best Offer

Can someone please explain to me why Ebay randomly changes unselling listings from Buy Now to Best Offer, there's a specific reason why the prices are set like that are. Is anyone else having this problem? It has happened to a couple ads recently and today I received an offer on a $55 item for $5 (talk about slap in the face). Is there a hidden feature that changes listings? 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Forced Best Offer

This is something that Ebay has lately started doing. Apparently they are adding them when sellers are fairly low in recent selling feedback and the price of the item is above some threshhold. Nearly everyone on the boards agrees with you and this is a terrible change.

I thought the new BINs had an autodecline set at 50% off BIN price so I'm not sure why you got an offer for 10%

You can remove the Best Offer if you go through the advanced listing form but there's no guarantee it won't appear again.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

This is something that Ebay has lately started doing. Apparently they are adding them when sellers are fairly low in recent selling feedback and the price of the item is above some threshhold. Nearly everyone on the boards agrees with you and this is a terrible change.

I thought the new BINs had an autodecline set at 50% off BIN price so I'm not sure why you got an offer for 10%

You can remove the Best Offer if you go through the advanced listing form but there's no guarantee it won't appear again.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Yeah I changed it back as soon as I declined that offer. I just wasn't sure if this was a universal problem or what but thank you for the response.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

This is an extremely obnoxious move on eBay's part for both buyers and sellers. From a seller's standpoint, I have a couple items that are listed at the absolute lowest price possible without me just giving them away. Because of this new practice in which eBay revises listings without the seller's permission, I now have to go in and revise these items to remove the best-offer option that eBay forced on me, or respond to offers that I can't accept and didn't choose to receive, either one of which is an annoyance and a total waste of time.

The more inconvenience like this that eBay inflcts on sellers, the less likely they are to list low-price items. As a buyer, I enjoy finding cheap deals on eBay and would hate for sellers to stop listing these items because of the hassle of having to revise listings or decline offers on items that are already priced at their lowest possible price.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

I want to voice my opinion as well that this is a very obnoxious change. I changed it back in advanced editing as soon as I got the email saying eBay changed it, and I hope it doesnt keep reverting back. I list vintage computer equipment, it doesn't sell fast no, but I know what I'm doing with my pricing and will lower the price when I'm ready...

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

With best offer, you have to toggle the auto-decline manually. It defaults to 50% but you can set it to whatever you want.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@maseratiofpittsburgh wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why Ebay randomly changes unselling listings from Buy Now to Best Offer.

Bolded portion explains it. Nothing more to say except Ebay wants you to sell things, and they want to make $$.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

This is starting to make me hate ebay. I just took down all my listings they changed until they end this terrible practice.
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I will probably take all mine down too.  I have been selling on Ebay since 2007 or so and this is just not right.   Forcing people to accept offers.  What if the highest offer is 1.00 and you are asking 30.00 does this mean I have to accept a lousy buck for my item because I didnt get any bids and someone offered me a dollar.  It really appears Ebay is actually attempting to run off the non commercial type listers and just deal with the stores.    So disgusting.  I  will be looking for another auction to join this is just wrong.  

Bob Hennessey 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Ebay has never been one to allow common sense to get in the way of their stupidity.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Basically it is merely another of eBay's ill conceived schemes to fix what was not broken until they tried to improve it.  Something like a "New Coke" strategy.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I have this happen every time I create a listing. So I fill out all of the info for the listing and I uncheck the "auction" setting that Ebay usually has automatically unchecked. I set the Buy It Now price and then I click the little drop-down arrow right below that to access the "Best Offer" area and usually Ebay automatically has that checked for some ridiculously low amount. So I uncheck that and submit the changes and sometimes I have to go back for a SECOND time and uncheck the "Best Offer" because sometimes clicking "List It" will actually add the Best Offer setting back (particularly if I'm on my cell phone listing something in mobile mode). Just double-check it. I always go back after I post my listing and immediately click it to view it in the way that a buyer would see it and make sure that everything is right and that there is no "Best Offer" option available. They're sneaky.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

I 100% agree.  This is such a pain!  I list my items at my lowest price and eBay goes in and changes my listings to accept Best Offers.  I called twice and voiced my opinion on this.  Hoping if enough sellers express their disappointment with this, they will stop.  If I wanted to deal with the “Best Offer” option, I would use Auction.  The fix?  I open my listings a few times every day and go into each individual item they have changed and change it back.  Also, I really loved the old eBay app.  The new one stinks (can’t access listing time or rearrange photos), and now this Best Offer thing.  Hoping they will stop soon.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

That offer shouldn't even qualify AS an offer!  

Ebay has said that they see more conversion with a Best Offer, thus more sales.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Is there a hidden feature that changes listings? 

If you use the Quick Listing tool, that is the default.  But I understand that if a listing doesn't sell in a certain period of time, the system will automatically add it.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply