cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time selling on ebay, just need some help with payment.

My laptop has been bought by someone in Canada, and they say they have paid for it already. When I check my sold items it says payment has been initiated and is being processed by Paypal. Am I good to ship the item now, or do I wait? I just want to be sure that I don't get scammed. Here is the email i got from service@intl.paypal.com 

https://i.imgur.com/ajINOsy.png

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: First time selling on ebay, just need some help with payment.

@ymeagainlord wrote:
@erache_10

You have NOT been paid. That website is a scam address. No such thing as intl.paypal.com

Yes there is. The intl prefix is a subgroup of the paypal.com domain.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Google that addy and you'll find a lot of reports of scams.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

lot of reports of scams.

A report of a scam is not a scam.

Innocent until proven guilty.

We see members freaking out because their overseas customer is using a freight forwarder. And posting hysterical reviews to the website of the forwarder.

We see members who don't understand that a seller can have 500 negs and still be an excellent seller, because he also has 500, 000 positive FB.

We see members who believe they are being scammed because Paypal is Holding thier payments because they are newbies with no track record.

We see members who scream 'scam' when a buyer is unhappy with the quality of their purchase.

A difference of opinion is not a scam.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@erache_10 wrote:

I don't see anything in my transaction page so I'm assuming this is not legit, but how come ebay says  payment was initiated when I don't have anything saying that in my paypal account?

Because the e-mail from ebay is probably not actually from ebay. It is probably created by the person scamming you, made to look like it was from ebay.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
@erache_10

You have NOT been paid. That website is a scam address. No such thing as intl.paypal.com

Yes there is. The intl prefix is a subgroup of the paypal.com domain.

That is true, but if it's a spoofed email then that's not the actual email address used to send the email.  You would have to look at the full headers.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

A difference of opinion is not a scam. 

Agreed, and the fact is that intl.paypal.com is a valid domain address of PayPal.com. This discussion by a PayPal moderator on the PayPal Community Board goes into more detail about it, and what you should expect to see in a valid email from that domain:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/Is-this-you-service-intl-paypal-com/m-p/7027...

(...and before someone else starts shrieking that "paypal-community.com" isn't a real PayPal address either: yes, it is. Feel free to do a WHOIS lookup on it yourself...)

Having said all that, however, it's still possible to forge headers on an email from somewhere else to make it look like it came from intl.paypal.com when it really didn't. That's the reason why you should log into your PayPal account yourself to see whether you have really been paid (even the PayPal moderator is encouraging you to do that), and whether the payment has now cleared and you're OK to ship. Under some conditions PayPal themselves may have a hold on your funds, which is why the email that started this thread is talking about making sure that your tracking is uploaded, because a Delivered status will shorten the hold time on funds. (That's not the same as the scam email that tells you that you have to upload tracking before the funds will be deposited in your account. We're not looking at one of those scam emails here.)

The email shown in this thread appears to have PayPal's standard wording throughout, and the blacked-out portions are presumably the seller's full name and related info that only PayPal would know. The key is to check the account yourself, and if the OP wants to post the actual email headers here, those would indicate whether the message originated from within the PayPal domain.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply