cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time seller HORROR story

I decided to sell a high valued item on eBay for the first time. This is how it went horribly wrong, and eBay couldn't do anything but shoulder shrug... 

- Last week I put a snowcone machine up for sale. A buyer found me, and we came to an agreement on price. 
- I shipped product to buyer.
- The model ended up not being what the buyer wanted, he believed I put incorrect information in my description. I called and talked to a man named Shawn. He told me what I had done incorrectly (totally my fault on how I listed it). He told me that in this case "ebay would make me refund the money". I said I understand and we hung up.
- I went and refunded the money, believing this was also beginning the returning process.
- 3 days go by, I contact buyer to ask about return information. 
- Called ebay to ask about the return process because this was all new to me, and Katelyn explained there is a return and a refund process. Shawn failed to explain to me the difference in this, and actually made me feel like I had to refund the money to get my product back. 
I contacted buyer, he ended up donating my machine after he got the automated message from ebay that he can keep my machine since I refunded the money before the return.
- I called ebay AGAIN today to figure out what my options are. 
- Shayley answered all my questions, was empathic towards my story and said she would try to get me coupon for my customer experience. 

- I just got an email for her saying eBay has denied my coupon... MY COUPON WAS DENIED...
- The silly pieces of paper we all get in the mail on a regular basis, was denied.

The only possibly thing to keep me coming back to eBay as a customer was that coupon.
Happily I will never ever sell or buy on eBay EVER AGAIN.

I am upset because the first employee failed to explain to me the return and the refund process. If that was explained, I'd have my machine in hand and I would be able to relist the item. All I wanted was my product back, I know it was my mistake that caused the return but Shawn's full explaination would've changed everything. 
Katelyn and Shayley were both fantastic employees and explained everything. I appreciate their customer service and empathy towards the situation. 

Totally screwed now.
Thanks for nothing eBay.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Sounds to me like there's a good chance the buyer knew exactly what they were doing. 

Sucks you got screwed in the process. Never refund the money before you have the item back in your possession. 

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

I am truly sorry to hear this happened to you...second horror story in 2 days.

What's frustrating to hear is that you found the boards AFTER this mess.

Had you come here first the members would have advised you how to handle this return & to NEVER refund before you have the item back.

Unfortunately calling eBay was your second mistake...their advice is usually fatal for an inexperienced seller.

Your first was to list that expensive item as a new seller.

Again sorry to hear you took such a large loss.

I certainly can't advise you to take a road trip like I did when a buyer sent back a frame instead of a $600 print.

I very much doubt the buyer donated your machine.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

This may seem harsh, but too many people sell on ebay for the first time without doing their homework about how ebay works and what problems a new seller might encounter.   I read the boards and talked to other ebay sellers about potential pitfalls before I ever listed my first item.   And I sold a number of cheap easy-to-ship items to get experience before listing more expensive or fragile items. When I first started selling on ebay - there was no ebay customer service at all other than the sller/buyer boards.  

There is now a Help section on ebay which outlines ebay policies and commonly asked questions.  No one should sell on ebay without reading all the fine print. 

Having run customer service departments,  I know that it takes at least 6 months to train a good customer service rep, and even then communication between the customer and the rep doesn't always go smoothly.  Sometimes the rep doesn't understand what the customer is saying or the customer leaves out information, and sometimes the customer doesn't know what questions to ask to resolve an issue.    In general,  customer service reps often have a very short job life span so getting an experienced one often doesn't happen - it's a frustrating job. 

Too bad you didn't find this board and come here for advice before calling ebay.  

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

I certainly can't advise you to take a road trip like I did when a buyer sent back a frame instead of a $600 print.

----------------------------------------------------------

No you didn't. Did you get your print back?
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

@ohnathan wrote:

I contacted buyer, he ended up donating my machine after he got the automated message from ebay that he can keep my machine since I refunded the money before the return.

Oh, please.

With that much money at stake, I'd be exploring ways to follow up in person to recover that machine, unless it's on the opposite side of the country or something.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

" I read the boards and talked to other ebay sellers about potential pitfalls before I ever listed my first item. "

I did exactly the same...for 12 months before I listed an item.

Unfortunately eBay only promotes how EASY it is to List,Ship,Get Paid without emphazing what can go wrong...especially if you call CS for "advice",

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

"No you didn't. Did you get your print back?"

I'm 6ft 5 & 285...I was the runt of the litter compared to the 2 off duty members of the constabulary that came with me...we combined the excursion with a fishing trip.

Yes I did & yes I did...first time I've shared this story but it is just so sad to hear of sellers being scammed in this way.

Again I am by no means advising anyone to take such a drastic step but  this happened shortly after another buyer sent back an item after picking the eyes out of it & reducing the value of a $400 item to half that amount...I accepted that as I carry cookie jar insurance...but the print scam was too much to ignore when the buyer claimed the frame was damaged & sent back a different frame sans print.

They should not have hung it on the wall in plain sight where it could be seen when they opened the door...my companions did the rest.

No charges but they may think twice about trying the same scam again.

The fishing trip cost me a couple of K...boy those guys can drink...but it was worth every penny to see the look on the guy's dial.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@*help_no_brakes*

It may not be advisable, but I like your style!

I would also have liked to see the "look" on the scammer's face.

Way to go!

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

ohnathan wrote:

I decided to sell a high valued item on eBay for the first time.
Thanks for nothing eBay.

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to you.  Sadly too, you are not the first who has gone into *selling on eBay* without first pouring over the How To's, the What Not To Do's, and the Not Advised For Newbie Sellers.  The policies and steps to take in case of problems are all spelled out here, but most often not read until after trouble has found the new seller... and it's too late. 

And as far as Customer Reps...  they aren't teachers, guides, mentors, or even very knowledgeable when it comes to directing eBay members with problems, so (as you found out) you certainly can't count on them telling you fully how to proceed in your business.  There ARE steps to take, but you need to take them in the proper order, in a timely manner, and correctly touch all the bases to protect yourself. 

Sorry too that you didn't get your *coupon* from eBay, but somehow I don't think I'd have counted on eBay swallowing the loss on my error here.  It would be nice if others would take the losses for us when we make mistakes, but it doesn't work that way very often.  In most cases, regardless of what we got ourselves into that was scary or costly or whatever.. we are pretty much expected to take that loss on.. ourselves.

And if you ever DO decide to use this world-wide buy/sell site again in the future, I do hope you will come to these Discussion Boards and do a lot of reading before just jumping in, and also that you will study the Site Map which is filled with It All, when it comes to all the rules and regulations and procedures that govern the use of this site.

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

@ohnathan wrote:

I decided to sell a high valued item on eBay for the first time.

I got that far before I knew this was going to be a disaster.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

So sorry this happened to you.  Unfortunately, scammers do hunt out new sellers and ebays policies enable these scammers.  The Customer Service Rep told you an incorrect policy or procedure and this is becoming very common.  Going forward, if you do sell again, come to the community with your questions because there are so many experienced sellers that have far more knowledge than the ebay CS Reps.   

Also i would report the buyer.  Ebay is tracking scammers.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

If that was explained, I'd have my machine in hand and I would be able to relist the item. 

It is very likely that you would have received an empty box - and then eBay would have forced you to refund anyway.  

I decided to sell a high valued item on eBay for the first time

Your fundamental problem lies with this - the very first sentence you wrote.  Most seller here will advise you to never sell anything you cannot afford to lose - and pay to ship to the person stealing it. 

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

message the buyer and advise him if you do not get your machine back you will call his local police department and file a theft report AND you will be contacting the USPS Inspector General and file a theft report. And tell him you will Report him to Ebay, let him know he will be on their radar incase he try pulling this stunt with someone else.  this may get him to return it because we all know he still has it. Sorry about your situation. I would lok up his postal zip code, get the POLICE DEPARTMENTS telephone number and include it in your message that way he knows you mean business!

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

message the buyer and advise him if you do not get your machine back you will call his local police department and file a theft report AND you will be contacting the USPS Inspector General and file a theft report. And tell him you will Report him to Ebay, let him know he will be on their radar incase he try pulling this stunt with someone else.  this may get him to return it because we all know he still has it. Sorry about your situation. I would lok up his postal zip code, get the POLICE DEPARTMENTS telephone number and include it in your message that way he knows you mean business!

The police will do nothing. The buyer followed eBay's instructions that they could keep the item along with the refund. eBay gave the buyer permission to do whatever they wanted with the machine. 

I'm sure there must be something in the user agreement for sellers when they start listing that says they are agreeing to policies like that.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply