cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time auctioning an expensive item. Can anyone help me conform that these are scammers?

Two buyers messaged me about my item lately and I want to know if they’re trying to scam me.

- This guy asked about the price I listed and I told him about it. Then he said that he is willing to pay for it plus $300 in shipping, (assuming that’s next day shipping he’s  talking about?) and to request money to his email using the item number as note.

- 2nd guy says that he’s willing to pay for it plus $150 in shipping.  Then he kindly asks for me to send PayPal money request to his email and the money will be sent right now.  He then messaged me his email.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

First time auctioning an expensive item. Can anyone help me conform that these are scammers?

Yes. Both scams. Why pay more than you're asking? And then the user "kindly asks..."; yeah, right. They don't need your PayPal at all, ever. Good catch... block both users.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes, your instincts are sharp... they are indeed scammers.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Two buyers messaged me about my item lately and I want to know if they’re trying to scam me.

@briabernin_0 

Yes.  No doubt about it.  NONE.  Since they are not winning bidders or had an offer accepted by you, there is no place to report them.  You would have to use the call back or chat to contact customer service.   Many feel that is a time waster since even if they get booted they will be back in a few minutes with a new ID.  Most will just ignore and block if they can't be reported on site. 

It is unfortunate the newer sellers are plagued with these "text me scammer" criminals along with their first cousins the "change of address scammers".  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Let the auction go thru.  If they bid, cancel their bids.  Do not reply to them, and as others have said block them

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@briabernin_0 

• There's no reason for anyone to ask for your phone number or for you to text them.
  • There's no reason for anyone to pay outside of ebay
  • Why would an honest buyer offer to pay more money than you are selling the item for? 

I recommend you list your items for fixed prices (buy it now) and have IPR (immediate payment required). That way, the sale won't go through until payment has been made and recorded. 

Anyone who tells you that they paid but it's not showing in your ebay account is lying to you. 

Newbies are scammer magnets so be aware. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Hate to say this to you but I'm going to...

Do not list anything that you are not willing to lose.  There are so many ways to scam people out of valuable things online.  Just think about it and maybe you are okay with it.  I think that most transactions do go well but one can never guarantee it.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Both of those are scam attempts.  Clues:  Buyers who ask you to do things and go outside eBay.  Reason: New seller with a relatively expensive item.

Don't respond in any fashion.  Block both immediately.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Scam Scam, Scam...Want these types to go away? Buy it now fixed price, NO best offer options and make sure you check off immediate payment required.

I stopped doing auctions years ago and now when I have a sale I get paid.

Good luck and Happy Selling!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@briabernin_0 wrote:

- This guy asked about the price I listed and I told him about it. Then he said that he is willing to pay for it plus $300 in shipping, (assuming that’s next day shipping he’s  talking about?) and to request money to his email using the item number as note.

- 2nd guy says that he’s willing to pay for it plus $150 in shipping.  Then he kindly asks for me to send PayPal money request to his email and the money will be sent right now.  He then messaged me his email.

Low feedback seller: high dollar item:

More can go wrong with this than you know.

These folks are trying to get to to contact them off of eBay to send you fake payment notice to get free stuff: also they to get you to purchase gift cards as such is supposedly a gift for some one. Again a SCAM.

Now if you acualy sell this item: i. well a buyer only has to claim item not as described and you will have a return and refund situation.

You may or may not get your item back..

More to read:

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/stay_safe.html 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

"Let the auction go thru."

Did you read what has happened so far? 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

eBay is just about the last place I would try to sell an expensive laptop, especially as a new seller, listing it as an auction.

If you go thru with this sale, be prepared to lose the laptop, & the shipping fee.

I'd end the auction, pay the fee since the item has bids already, & sell it somewhere that you can get cash in hand when the buyer gets your laptop.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

you are new.

you are a target for scam! Do not offer international shipping or going through a freight forwarder. 

Best to list as pick up only at your local police station and buyer pays after testing / inspecting. Contact your local police station to check out their process and hours. 

When listing as pick up only, you pretty much clear out the scammers. They are lazy people who take advantage of everything like on-line sales, claiming disability, they can't pay bills and buy food, so they also work the scam locally in their community. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Scaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmms

Message 15 of 15
latest reply