cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Class Postage eBay discount?

Where is the eBay discount on First Class Postage?  

Today, 1/18/16, USPS raised the first class postage to $2.60, but there is no discount from eBay for printing postage through eBay like there used to be.

Almost all of my items are 3 oz, which I used to pay $2.04 to ship; today (1/18) it is now $2.60 through eBay!!!  I know postage rates were increase but a jump of $0.56 per item is about 27%.  

I sell jewelry and some of my items will cost more to ship than the actual cost of the item...that's a sure way to put customers off and buy overseas where they can afford to offer free shipping.   Charging $2.60 for postage will put me out of business in a few months!

You'd think eBay would be on top of this postage hike and have the discount in place to implement when USPS raised their postage.  

I'll be researching other online shipping companies for a discounted rate.

Any suggestions on where to look for a discounted First Class Shipping rate?   

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

I had same thing happen. $2.04 is now $2.60. No eBay discount at all. I spoke to cust. service yesterday and was told eBay is negotiating with USPS for pricing discounts.

Message 2 of 71
latest reply

@fancyfindsandtreasures wrote:

Today, 1/18/16, USPS raised the first class postage to $2.60, but there is no discount from eBay for printing postage through eBay like there used to be.

Almost all of my items are 3 oz, which I used to pay $2.04 to ship; today (1/18) it is now $2.60 through eBay!!!  I know postage rates were increase but a jump of $0.56 per item is about 27%.  

I sell jewelry and some of my items will cost more to ship than the actual cost of the item...that's a sure way to put customers off and buy overseas where they can afford to offer free shipping.   Charging $2.60 for postage will put me out of business in a few months!

You'd think eBay would be on top of this postage hike and have the discount in place to implement when USPS raised their postage.  

There is no "ebay discout" in first class packages anymore. At least not at this time. The new usps price list has been circulating on this board for months. What is nice about first class now is that it goes up to 15.99 ounces rather than just 13 ounces.   But in your case the 3 ounce package now costs 2.60

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 3 of 71
latest reply

I also ran into that this morning. Sigh. Apparently First Class doesn't hit a discount until 8 ounces or so but it's $2.60 all the way up to that. Also, the weight limit went from 13 to 16 ounces. I sell a lot of individual lipstick so it really sucks for me Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 71
latest reply

$2.60 is the discounted ebay rate for 1-8 oz.

Message 5 of 71
latest reply

The "Ebay discount" was puffery. 

The discount was nothing more than the % difference between the counter purchase rates vs the online commercial prices.  The discount was available to all commercial online FC postage purchases regardless of where you bought it.

USPS raised their commercial rates but did not raise their counter rates.  The anomaly is the 3 ounce package.  You will continue to see a % discount on all other FC rates.  2 of the rates actually went down.   8 ounces went down from $2.71 to $2.60 and 13 ounces went down from $3.63 to $3.50

First Class Package 2016.jpg

- Suzanne -
Message 6 of 71
latest reply

"Where is the eBay discount on First Class Postage?"

Ebay never had a discount(except the trs discount), they just let you beleive there was one. . It was the same price as it was for buying online at usps.  

Message 7 of 71
latest reply

@uncle-papaw wrote:

$2.60 is the discounted ebay rate for 1-8 oz.

That's not an "ebay discount"  --  that price is available online no matter where you print the label.  Ebay has no additional discount.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 8 of 71
latest reply

The discounted (commercial base) rate IS $2.60 for online prepaid postage.

The retail rates, which did not increase, are:

1-3 oz. = $2.54

4 oz. = $2.74

5 oz. = 2.94

6 oz. = 3.14

7 oz. = 3.34

8 oz. = 3.54

It happens that 1-3 oz. at retail $2.54 is actually cheaper than the online rate.  You can get that price by affixing stamps or paying retail at the PO counter.  You save $6.00 for every 100 1-3 oz.packages.

But the online savings are significant for packages weighing 4-8 oz. and certainly for heavier packages up to 15.999 oz.  Retail customers still have a limit os 13 oz.

One way to optimize the per-unit expense is to combine orders into a single package.  You can probably get 2 or 3 lipsticks into a bubble mailer and still stay at 3 oz. or less.  Great for combining multiple orders without having to figure special rates, right?

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 9 of 71
latest reply

@fuzzface50 wrote:

"Where is the eBay discount on First Class Postage?"

Ebay never had a discount(except the trs discount), they just let you beleive there was one. . It was the same price as it was for buying online at usps.  

Actually even TRS sellers NEVER received a discount from ebay on First Class Packages, little lone regular sellers!

Ebay just tried to make sellers think they received a discount shipping through ebay,becuase ebay makes money on every label printed through their system...

The reality is for FCP you could get the same rates from anyone that sold online labels!

Message 10 of 71
latest reply

I mail items averaging 3 oz, and have been paying $2.04. The increase in postage to $2.60 means an annual increase in postage costs from $1,377 to $1,755. Very often,

USPS First Class mail is SLOOOW.. even when going short distances. It has been faster for me to mail an envelope to CA from PA, coast to coast, than to my neighboring state, NJ. If they are going to raise rates, they better raise the service bar higher. Hopefully, other carriers will begin offering options for lightweight envelopes that compete with USPS, and offer better and faster delivery times. It should not take a first class envelope 6 days to go from E. Pennsylvania one hour away to Jersey City, NJ, for example. Pony Express could have done it in a day... Rant over.

Message 11 of 71
latest reply

If 50 cents is enough to do you in - I would think that your product is probably a waste of your time even if there were no postage rate increase.  I am not trying to be a jerk, but if I were in that position, I think I would investigate a new business model.

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

@1oceanblvd wrote:

If 50 cents is enough to do you in - I would think that your product is probably a waste of your time even if there were no postage rate increase.  I am not trying to be a jerk, but if I were in that position, I think I would investigate a new business model.

WOW just WOW!

There are a lot of light weight 1-3 ounce items sold on ebay... and yes a  $0.56 increase ($2.04 to $2.60)  on shipping each those items will affect A LOT of sellers,ADVERSELY!

Message 13 of 71
latest reply

Agree! I sold 700 items at that weight and that is a BIG increase in postage. That is over a 20% increase- $2.04 to $2.60..who gets a 20% increase???
Message 14 of 71
latest reply

The USPS postage increase is music to eBay's ears.  EBay gets an extra nickel on each item shipped (10% final value fee on shipping).  A nickel may not seem like much, but with millions of items sold on eBay and shipped with USPS, those nickels add up to a pretty penny.  LOL!

Message 15 of 71
latest reply