cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally! ebay launches first marketing campaign in three years! Today's AdAge ---

"ebay targets Gen Z with first brand campaign in three years"

That's the Headline from AdAge Dec 19, 2022 (unfortunately, behind a PayWall, and I don't have a subscription)

According to the article, ebay is "reintroducing itself to younger consumers as a trusted source for luxury goods." The campaign's catchphrase seems to be

"In a world full of fakes, how do you avoid buying fake items?” a voiceover asks, with the message “Never get f*ked over again."

devon@ebay     Any chance you could post the actual ad video here? 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Finally! ebay launches first marketing campaign in three years! Today's AdAge ---

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

"In a world full of fakes, how do you avoid buying fake items?” a voiceover asks, with the message “Never get f*ked over again."

Wow! Pretty blatant. Rather juvenile.  🤔 JMO

Thanks for posting and always being considerate to update all here.

Happy Holidays!

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Just FYI - I took a peek behind the paywall and the * is an A....avoid getting faked over. 🙄 

Definitely agree about it being juvenile and it's also disappointing this "brand" ad is once again only aimed at the verticals...I guess that should answer any questions anyone still had about whether or not eBay still considers the many other things sold on this site every day to be part of their "brand."

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

How crude. 

We all know what that F word is.

I guess apparently that appeals to younger consumers, ugh.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

@valueaddedresource @hollysfinds 

Yes, the word is "faked"

The title of the campaign itself is "everyone deserves real", and it debuted today on streaming platforms and online video.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Sounds like a fake marketing campaign to me.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

Sure it is, ok.

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

If I was ever in the market for a fake or counterfeit item, eBay would be my first place to visit.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

eBay has made many marketing efforts in the last three years. I'm not sure what "first brand campaign" means, but there was a HUGE eBay campaign for Motors over the past year featuring J Shia (remember the Amphicar ad?)

And here's an ecommercebytes article about a new marketing campaign in 2021:
https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/6/1624825466.html

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

eBay has made many marketing efforts in the last three years. I'm not sure what "first brand campaign" means, but there was a HUGE eBay campaign for Motors over the past year featuring J Shia (remember the Amphicar ad?)

@luckythewinner "brand campaign" typically means an ad promoting the whole brand vs a single product or product line - think back to the find IT on eBay campaign that was so popular years ago.

In marketing speak you might say "brand campaign puts your company's story and message in front of an audience, with the goal of increasing brand awareness and improving brand equity"

That being said, I'm not sure this qualifies as a brand campaign for the same reasons I wouldn't consider those Motors ads a brand campaign - unless eBay really does want us to take away from this message that the eBay brand is now only about the select vertical categories they've been pushing - not the many other items that can be found on the platform.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@luckythewinner "brand campaign" typically means an ad promoting the whole brand vs a single product or product line - think back to the find IT on eBay campaign that was so popular years ago.

In marketing speak you might say "brand campaign puts your company's story and message in front of an audience, with the goal of increasing brand awareness and improving brand equity"

That being said, I'm not sure this qualifies as a brand campaign for the same reasons I wouldn't consider those Motors ads a brand campaign - unless eBay really does want us to take away from this message that the eBay brand is now only about the select vertical categories they've been pushing - not the many other items that can be found on the platform.

The OP's title to this post said "Finally! ebay launches first marketing campaign in three years".

That is why I tried to avoid definitions and simply point out a couple examples of where that eBay has been marketing itself over the past three years.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

If eBay has had any actual marketing campaigns since the IT campaign - they should fire whoever was responsible especially the person who designed this "avoid getting faked" ditty.   If one is targeting the Gen Z buyer - luxury goods does not come to mind. 

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

The OP's title to this post said "Finally! ebay launches first marketing campaign in three years".

That is why I tried to avoid definitions and simply point out a couple examples of where that eBay has been marketing itself over the past three years.

@luckythewinner  - @my-cottage-books-and-antiques was simply quoting the headline of the article in question.

"That's the Headline from AdAge Dec 19, 2022 (unfortunately, behind a PayWall, and I don't have a subscription)"

https://adage.com/article/marketing-news-strategy/ebay-targets-gen-z-first-brand-campaign-three-year... 

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

Whether The Word Is Faked Or The Other, It sure Implies The Other!, & That Is Pretty Rude & Crude For Advertising!

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

This can't be a real advertising campaign! Hope eBay goes after the person who posted, and the website provider. 

PayWall meaning: 

1. (on a website) an arrangement whereby access is restricted to users who have paid to subscribe to the site.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply