cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback

Ebay has a very poorly constructed feedback system. They allow buyers to give sellers negivate feedback back which allows a buyers to retaliate against sellers and leaves a seller with a very poor image. This has happened to me and alot of other sellers. The buyer only has good feedback which means nothing. I think to bring balance to this system Ebay needs eliminate public feedback and only allow buyers and sellers to report bad behavior to Eaby. If anyone breaks rules than Ebay should decided what to do to correct this bad behavior.
I thank Ebay has lost a lot of good sellers by having this bad policy.....

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Feedback

Did you refuse to ship as the buyer implies?

And if you didn't ship why would they have to ask ebay for a refund?

The current system has been in place for over 9 years now and while unbalanced buyers need to see how a seller is doing before deciding whether to buy or not.

A negative feedback vs. an overall number of positive transactions will make me buy nonetheless, even if the percentage is far from perfect, especially if the item is not new, but I need to be able to form an opinion and what you seem to suggest would make it impossible

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@gsdire24So sorry this happened to you, but hiding feedback as @chiaretta says, would not allow buyers to properly vet their sellers by feedback comments that attest to the seller's performance.  Many times a bad transaction can be avoided if you see a history of an issue in the seller's feedback comments.  The seller's response is equally important, do they address the problem or blame the buyer.  It can give a sense of how the seller may treat them in like circumstances.  A professional response that takes responsibility or explains the situation will do much to not deter future business from trusting the seller.  I hope you will take these things into consideration in deciding a proper response, if any.

If you did not ship as @chiaretta states, that is the one of the most important buyer concerns.  They have searched for an item, evaluated price, vetted the seller and the listing, considered cost, and their needs, they bid/buy and pay, then they get a refund and no item.  They have wasted their time and have nothing to show for it.  If they wanted a refund, they just wouldn't have bought in the first place.  They put their trust in ebay and their seller, and it is now eroded by a negative experience.  Imagine how you would feel if you went through all that and got a refund.  I think you would be upset, too.  Anyone would, it is only natural.  It makes sense.  

Again, sorry this happened to you.   Good Luck.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Ran out of edit time, sorry.

Whether you issue a refund or ebay forces you to issue one, it does not make it a pleasant experience for the buyer.  Some think that they did all they could because they issued a refund and so all is well.  The buyer has been made whole, but they are not happy.  If they wanted their money, they would not have bought in the first place.  Not taking responsibility or resolving the situation can also increase the buyer's frustration, thus the feedback.

You also get a serious seller defect for OOS (out of stock, or damaged).  You get one for cases closed without seller resolution.  This is when a buyer opens a case and you do not respond or resolve it.  Ebay does not want to step in, they want the seller to resolve the issue with the buyer.  A few of these defects and you can lose your selling privileges.

You may or may not have been aware of this; I am so sorry but hopefully this info will help you avoid problems.  Good Luck.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@gsdire24 wrote:

Ebay has a very poorly constructed feedback system. They allow buyers to give sellers negivate feedback back which allows a buyers to retaliate against sellers and leaves a seller with a very poor image. This has happened to me and alot of other sellers. The buyer only has good feedback which means nothing. I think to bring balance to this system Ebay needs eliminate public feedback and only allow buyers and sellers to report bad behavior to Eaby. If anyone breaks rules than Ebay should decided what to do to correct this bad behavior.
I thank Ebay has lost a lot of good sellers by having this bad policy.....

Yes, and buyers LOVE it and will attack any suggestion that it should be the same for both.  Back when we really were a community and we were all "members", it was that way.

Then eBay decided to make it a them against us site and divided us into two waring groups.  Sellers were forced to adopt "Thumpers" Rule, you know, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all", making ALL Buyer feedback suspect.  And making Sellers afraid to give feedback first until they know that a buyer has received the item and are satisfied.  Something you ONLY know when the Buyer gives you feedback.

It's been this way for years and despite endless post and complaints, it looks like that's the way it will always be.

So, if you are having a problem with buyer feedback, I recommend that you wait until you get feedback before you give it.

It's you only protection as you will get none from eBay.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply