cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback extortion?

Does this qualify as feedback extortion?  

Buyer bought item with global shipping, requested return my listings say 'no returns' reason given was 'changed mind'.  I declined the return and got this

"I note that you have generally very good feedback. i don't want to ruin it but I would expect some sort of help."

Today I got the negative

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Feedback extortion?

Sorry under ebay's strict rules, this doesn't count as feedback extortion. Ebay's reason is because their statement is too vague in their eyes.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Feedback extortion?

Sorry under ebay's strict rules, this doesn't count as feedback extortion. Ebay's reason is because their statement is too vague in their eyes.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

Boo 😞 It wasn't vague in my eyes.  

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

Yes, extortion. Warning you (after you just followed your terms of no returns) that he didn`t want to ruin you feedback, but he will if you don`t compensate him.

Call eBay, they should be able to help, as it is the buyer abusing both Money Back Guarantee and Feedback Extortion policies. 

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

Boo 😞 It wasn't vague in my eyes.  

Yea, I totally hear ya. Ebay really needs to get their eyes checked. Sorry. What you can try is to continue to talk to the buyer if you want to waste some time and try to get them to admit that they left you the negative because you didn't honor their return request. You might have more ammo there to get the feedback removed, but just know you might get yet another CS rep with bad eyesight that won't remove it (but I feel if you get that documentation you'll find an agent to remove it).

I don't condone nor condemn this method.

You can try just calling like @beautifulbeauty2012  suggested. I just remember my track record for calling ebay and removing feedback with a buyer message like that... and I always just got agents saying it's too vague. But then again I haven't called for feedback extortion in a long time. Did ebay loosen their grip in regards to these since then?

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

You can try just calling like @beautifulbeauty2012  suggested. I just remember my track record for calling ebay and removing feedback with a buyer message like that... and I always just got agents saying it's too vague. But then again I haven't called for feedback extortion in a long time. Did ebay loosen their grip in regards to these since then?

CS still has the same guidelines with FB, this is extortion, so it should be removed. 

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

Can I please place you on hold for less than two minutes?

25 minutes later --- too bad

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

Got two negs today.  Both for stupid stuff.  I knew 100% wasn't going to last long, I think I was 100% for about 4 months.  

One was this fb extortion, **bleep** and the other...

This guy buys a brand new sealed dvd.  It works fine on his dvd player but skips on his playstation.  Requested return as defective and left negative. 

I can appeal later and hopefully get someone at ebay with common sense.  If the brand new item works on one player but not the video game, then it works.  Refund minus shipping both directions and % because it is no longer the same condition as shipped.   He wanted refund without return.

99.6% and falling lol 503 feedback over 12 months 501 positive

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

Just my humble opinion ... i would call that extortion and i would say that feedback should be removable.

Good luck!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

25 minutes later --- too bad

It is the policy, unfortunately, agents have to follow it. When I told that there is no need to get back to me, I was fine doing other things while they were working, I was told, that that they have to check on a buyer per rules and procedures. So it is not reps fault.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

Yes, his intentions may be obvious but he obviously knows how to word it to just stay on ebay's good side.  If someone mentions the word feedback, that should be a red flag to ebay.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

Does this qualify as feedback extortion?  

Buyer bought item with global shipping, requested return my listings say 'no returns' reason given was 'changed mind'.  I declined the return and got this

"I note that you have generally very good feedback. i don't want to ruin it but I would expect some sort of help."

Today I got the negative

On another account? Or were they removed?

posting ID only
Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

I can still remember my best line ever heard from an unhappy buyer

no beating around the bush at all...………....right to the point which I do admire

"I am going  to leave you a negative, I would like a partial refund"

well he did not get a partial and I got my negative

I have to say I think it is the lack of a quid pro quo... think about it

the words if...……..unless...……...I want you to,  were never mentioned at all

the CSR said it stays

I can definitely see the CRS`s point about him not demanding anything...….he asked politely

I will not disparage my ebay friends & family
I will not disparage my great family name
ARK + DOVE
john & sara..... W.F. lost city of Providence
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

@peter-green wrote:

I can still remember my best line ever heard from an unhappy buyer

no beating around the bush at all...………....right to the point which I do admire

"I am going  to leave you a negative, I would like a partial refund"

well he did not get a partial and I got my negative

I have to say I think it is the lack of a quid pro quo... think about it

the words if...……..unless...……...I want you to,  were never mentioned at all

the CSR said it stays

I can definitely see the CRS`s point about him not demanding anything...….he asked politely

Yes, sadly that exact statement will not qualify as extortion under ebay's bogus "if/then" rule. Your buyer sympathetic ebay rep will argue that the buyer is simply telling you they are leaving you a negative. They are technically not saying they are leaving a negative because you won't give them a partial. Nor are they saying they will leave you a negative if you continue to not give them the partial.

Very sad and lame. It's as if ebay just learned the English language and just takes each word at face value. Kinda reminds me of Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy... haha.

591e60a246ab4.jpeg

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Feedback extortion?

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Yes, his intentions may be obvious but he obviously knows how to word it to just stay on ebay's good side.  If someone mentions the word feedback, that should be a red flag to ebay.

We can read between the lines, and CS as well. It is what it is - extortion.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply