cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake bid gauging

Good Morning all,

So recently in the past few months I have noticed buyers bidding on my sports cards not paying ,and placing ridiculous bids on the cards making other buyers not willing to place bids of there own.

I also noticed the bidders are creating fake accounts which usually are made the same day or the day before with 0 feedback or they are working with other fake accounts and just throwing bids out there to discourage others from bidding , I have reported this to ebay since November , but have gone an extra mile and noticed that the fake accounts seem all to be working togehter ! This morning I had a card on auction and it jumped from $13 to $202 in seconds and the top bidder just created that account today and the second bidder had a similiar user id with the same kind of name . You can tell its one person price gauging the card! This is a user with 2 separate accounts trying to make it look good for themsleves but they arent to bright ,I looked into it deeper and saw the second highest bidder only had 20 feedbacks his last 2 were negatives and it seems that the second bidder has worked with another ebayer and it looks as if they are trying to gauge the market . Seems like there are 4 particular users that I see in the same feedbacks , One thing I saw on another card on my auction is this user has 2 feedbacks and when I looked into the 2 sales of positive feedback they are no where to be found , that user on the second card just created an account 2 days ago , how does that user get 2 positive feedbacks in just 2 days with no trace of any sale, now I think it is more problematic because the actual user giving that feedback has an account for years selling sports cards etc etc and it looks as if the problem stems from him / her and that user is creating multiple fake accounts to screw the card market up !!  Again it was reported to ebay this morning but it is becoming a real frustration of just pure **bleep** lately . Sport card sellers trying to gauge the card pricing using fake account to make fake bids , pushing others from making honest bids and so on, Is there any advice out there that can be shared? I know I have blocked several user id's already and changed the buyer requirements in my ebay and ebay said they reported all the different user id's and will see if there all connected and if so ebay will suspend all the accounts for fraudulent activity. So ebay suspends accounts and then the users use a different form of ID or payment information and the cycle continues .. Very annoying indeed but any help or ides would be helpful ! Sincerely Very frustrated ebay seller !!!

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Fake bid gauging

@teb2007:

"fake accounts seem all to be working togehter !"

They likely are.

This has been a issue for a long time.

Fake buyers can build feedback from buying non existent or $.01 items from other fake buyers/sellers.

It is a giant scheme involving 20/50/100 user id's together. Overseas users.

I am sure it is harder to do than it used to be but it still occurs.

I am not sure why they are messing with you,

Some is "gaming" the system, or complex disruptive behavior.

In the end some want to abuse the rules to steal merchandise or identities, gift card schemes etc.

Sorry you are dealing with it.

I see what you are talking about.

I would watch in the end, they may contact you to do the deal outside of ebay, send gift cards, etc.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Fake bid gauging

Yuppp it's absolutely gross and ruins it for everyone

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

Fake bid gauging

"So recently in the past few months I have noticed buyers bidding on my sports cards not paying ,and placing ridiculous bids on the cards making other buyers not willing to place bids of there own."

I'm unsure as to how this is happening?  How are the other buyers finding out how much some other bidder bid on the item?  

When they are the first bidder on a listing for $10.00 and the bidder bids 14.76, the listing will show one bidder @ $10.00.  No where will it not that their high bid is 14.76.  When the next bidder comes through, they won't be able to knock out the 1st bidder until they exceed bidding 14.76.  And so on.  But the maximum about that a buyer bids is not shown to other buyers, so what you say above should not be happening.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 36
latest reply

Fake bid gauging

It’s Ebay themselves doing it, that’s how they know. I just bought a pocket knife. I bid $50 and then it was beat by a a few bucks by a user with name that showed as “1***1”. It is a very special knife so I raised my max bid all the way to $180 and it showed current bid was $61 when I wen to sleep. Auction ends in the middle of the night at 3am. I see another user bid $25 at a time all the way to $175 within an hoir of auction close and then stopped. His user name showed as “1***2”. I won the auction but just a few dollars shy of my max bid. Item number 145326688680 if you can find it. Ebay has every insentive in the world to do something like this. 

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

Fake bid gauging

Old thread 1/2022

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Fake bid gauging

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 36 of 36
latest reply