cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Buyers

Hello,

2 questions.

How do I block shipping to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico (shipping cost) ?

I've had 2 different people buy an item this month then, it turns out they are fake. I just sold an item to someone who opened their account yesterday. This will possibly be the 3rd time. Is there a way to block buyers that have no purchasing or selling history. 

Thanks,

Rich

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fake Buyers

@ricro3742 

Is there a way to block buyers that have no purchasing or selling history?

No.  

If you want it to stop...

Avoid auction style listings with best offers and list all your items at a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required checked off.  Sport bidders and non - paying bidders steer clear of these listings as they must pay instantly.

I stop listing auction style years ago and now when I have a sale, I always get paid.

Honestly I wouldn't advise blocking any states or US territories.  Sales are slow enough with out turning away a potential customer, no matter where they are.  Their money is green and it spends too. 

Happy Selling. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Fake Buyers

I don't know why you'd want to block those locations, but you can. On the listing form under 'Shipping details', look for 'Exclude shipping locations'. Tick there and when the page reloads, look for 'Domestic' and tick 'Alaska/Hawaii' and 'US Protectorates'. Save and close... then 'Update your listing'.

There is no way to block '0' buyers. As a matter of fact, I welcome them to shop with me... I've never had a problem!

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

@ricro3742 

Is there a way to block buyers that have no purchasing or selling history?

No.  

If you want it to stop...

Avoid auction style listings with best offers and list all your items at a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required checked off.  Sport bidders and non - paying bidders steer clear of these listings as they must pay instantly.

I stop listing auction style years ago and now when I have a sale, I always get paid.

Honestly I wouldn't advise blocking any states or US territories.  Sales are slow enough with out turning away a potential customer, no matter where they are.  Their money is green and it spends too. 

Happy Selling. 

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

Should I avoid buying from you because you have no sales history to speak of? So, no, there is no block available to sellers for low to zero buyers. 

What do you consider a "fake buyer"? I took a look at your Completed listings and did not see anything that would necessarily make you a target of scammers. What exactly is happening? Non-paying buyers after the auction?

To block Hawaii and Alaska and US Protectorates, visit your shipping preferences to set up your exclusions. The link below has info on how to do this.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options?id=4089

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

No, you cannot block buyers with no purchase history or selling history.

No, you cannot block Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico (shipping cost). These states (districts) are a part of the United States. FWIW -- Shipping costs are paid by the buyer, so there's that .............so why not let them buy, a sale is a sale.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

Actually, you can  block shipping to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico, as many have posted. Why the OP would want to is definitely a head-scratcher, though.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

@ricro3742 wrote:

How do I block shipping to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico (shipping cost) ?

You're using Calculated Shipping, from what I see in a glance at your current listings, so why does it matter if the buyer is in Hawaii, Alaska or any US possession? The buyer will be paying the proper Shipping cost regardless of their location.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

@ricro3742 A little advice that will help you as a seller. You've already had several sales, but you haven't left any feedback for any of your buyers. Just like you don't want to sell to someone with low FB, many don't want to purchase from a seller with little to no FB. People are giving you their money for your items, the least you can do is leave a positive comment with a thank you- it will help you out as a seller. When a buyer receives feedback from a seller, it gives them more reason to reciprocate. You need to build up your feedback if you wish to continue to sell online. it will only benefit you in the end. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

And you know what ? As I finished typing that and hit Reply ... I was the only one answering.

After I posted, there were 5.

Still, why would he/she want to block those states !?!?

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

All buyers & sellers start out with  zero buying and selling history & you did too.

Like others have stated I like wise had  zero problems withe a zero FB buyer but  had a few issues with a3 & 4  digit buyer.   I solved all my non payment issues when I went to fixed price listings w/an Immediate Payment Required feature

Auctions  are  pretty much passe IMO.- folks want it  now if not sooner

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

Yes you can block Alaska , Puerto Rico and Hawaii in your shipping preferences . You are also supposed to be able to block anyone with less than 5 feedback from being able to purchase but that feature does not work. Its a sad thing but dont expect much help from this community. You asked a simple question and instead of getting a simple answer you were hit by multiple flamethrowers toasting you for asking it in the first place. 

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

@analog215 wrote:

Yes you can block Alaska , Puerto Rico and Hawaii in your shipping preferences. You are also supposed to be able to block anyone with less than 5 feedback from being able to purchase but that feature does not work. Its a sad thing but dont expect much help from this community. You asked a simple question and instead of getting a simple answer you were hit by multiple flamethrowers toasting you for asking it in the first place. 

That was never a feature. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

@analog215 wrote:

... You are also supposed to be able to block anyone with less than 5 feedback from being able to purchase but that feature does not work...

Yes, it does work. 

You can set that as a buyer requirement but ONLY as a sub-set to "Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought "X" of my items in the last 10 days.

IF you have checked that and set the numbers, only then can you use "Only set this requirement to block buyers with a feedback score "X".

You cannot set the feedback score by itself.

See how the feedback score requirement is indented, beneath the "currently winning" requirement, to show that it is secondary, available only when the primary option is chosen.

Screenshot from 2022-09-28 16-58-08.png

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

Yes it was and it still is but it doesnt work. Go to your Block Bidders page. Its on the page that asks if you want to block communications with bidders that you have blocked. It also asks if you want to block buyers with 5 or less feedback from buying from you . I would post of picture of it if I could but......SORRY BUD.....THE FEATURE IS THERE.....it just does not work and ebay cant explain to me why. 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Fake Buyers

@analog215 wrote:

<snip> Its a sad thing but dont expect much help from this community. You asked a simple question and instead of getting a simple answer you were hit by multiple flamethrowers toasting you for asking it in the first place. 

Wow, at the time you posted this there were only six actual replies to the OP. Messages 2-3-4-5-7 and 10. The others were replies directed to another poster or unrelated to OP's original question. Just which ones of those six replies (since you said multiple) were flammable? 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply