cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Poor Sales

From what I have heard from a number of sellers on eBay is that sales are way down. When sales should be booming for the holiday season.

Many sellers cannot survive on these poor sales numbers.

eBay is the main source of income for many sellers. 

I don't know what is going on, but sales are down.

Ebay's current policy of having ads on each of my listing pages, takes sales away from me. That is a practice that should NOT be done. These are my listing pages not some other sellers.

I am seeing at least 30 ads from other sellers right above my description, where the potential buyer sees their ads before they read my description.

Then there are at least 25 more ads at the bottom of my listing page.

This activity must END, as it is killing my reputation on ebay. My buyers are going elsewhere to buy the same items I am selling.

Ebay needs to fix this.
Keep listing pages free from advertising from other sellers.
That's what is going on and it needs to stop.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Extremely Poor Sales

I doubt the ads are going to go away - eBay gets paid to put ads out there, to drive customers to other sellers who are using advanced eBay services, and to do the same for outside organizations who also pay for the privilege.  Totally removing the ads is DOA - the revenue would have to be made up somewhere, and you know it's not going to be C-level and upper management salary cuts or perk limitations.  It's going to be either new fees for "services" eBay provides sellers, or just a simple increase in the fees already being collected.

That said, it would be nice if eBay would reconsider where and how many of those ads they cram into every page on the site.  I especially dislike the ones placed withing the purchase/payment process -- there is NO reason for eBay to be telling a buying customer that they can get their purchase cheaper elsewhere AS THEY ARE MAKING THEIR PAYMENT.  And it would be less irritating all around if the ads were for related products - ie: things that can make the customer's purchase more useful/beneficial/easier to use.

This is something that gets talked about a lot, both inside (I'm sure) and outside eBay.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I very much enjoy when my ads appear on my own listing pages. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@postype wrote:

From what I have heard from a number of sellers on eBay is that sales are way down. When sales should be booming for the holiday season.

Many sellers cannot survive on these poor sales numbers.

eBay is the main source of income for many sellers. 

I don't know what is going on... it needs to stop.

If anyone painted themself into the corner by allowing ebay to be their main source of income while watching the obvious paths the company has been taking over the last 10 to 15 years(especially the last 3 to 4), that would be on them - They should have seen whatever is happening coming from a mile away - As much as I like to lay blame on ebay for most things, you cant blame em' for that... or for that matter, for anyone who chose to take part in the promoted listings program... If you did either of these, in my opinion, you got what you were always gonna get...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

What you sell defines whether it is likely to become a holiday gift.

Long-tail collectibles are not likely to become a holiday gift - especially those that are not returnable.

When I make a sale that is intended to be a holiday gift, I expect problems, and I get most of my requests for returns for holiday gifts.

I have not seen a fall bump in my long-tail collectibles this year, and I suspect those who are paying outrageous prices for those ads have not either.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

When I see a seller selling something that is the same item to my item....I lower my price.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It might be killing your sales, but Ebay is making money from the sellers willing to pay more money to place their ads there.

Ebay doesn't care if a seller makes any money, as long as they are making money somewhere.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@rosachs wrote:

And it would be less irritating all around if the ads were for related products -

That's true.

I was looking at a listing for a pair of jeans a few months ago and in the 20 or 30 promoted listings on that page, there was not one ad for any type of clothing.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

My sales have been down for a while now.  I need to find a new avenue.  Not sure where to go and it takes time to learn a new platform.  Anyone out there with some good ideas?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

What you sell defines whether it is likely to become a holiday gift.

Long-tail collectibles are not likely to become a holiday gift - especially those that are not returnable.

Indeed. I sell both new and used items, but around this time of the year 99.9% of my sales are of new items as people are looking for Christmas gifts.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@the_lion_and_the_dog wrote:

My sales have been down for a while now.  I need to find a new avenue.  Not sure where to go and it takes time to learn a new platform.  Anyone out there with some good ideas?

We can't make recommendations, but this is easily researched on your own so you can find the right fit for you and the items you like to sell.

Learning a new venue doesn't take that long.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Change your revenue source why put all your eggs in one basket. The first rule of all business is never put all your eggs in one basket the second rule is always have an exit strategy... exit strategy doesn't mean your going to break even or win ever it means your going to get with out a total loss. Also remember a gallon of Gasoline under the current administration is making it hard for people to choose between go to work to earn less then what they did 4 years ago and pay 1/3 more to live. You can pay ebay to promote! 🤣 Rolling laughing . You can change your profit ration to compensate! Or OR oR you could just understand because we sell similar items that there just not in style right now and unfortunately the person who's going to suffer are the people who won't give the Ceo of eBay his bonus. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

I very much enjoy when my ads appear on my own listing pages. 

When I see that I think about buying the item for myself to save on shipping costs.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 13
latest reply