cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain Firearms Policy

I posted a muzzle brake for sale that was removed for breaking eBay's assault weapons policy.  It is a part that can be applied to any .223 rifle.  It did not mention assault weapons.    It does not appear on eBay's list of prohibited items.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/firearms-weapons-knives-policy?id=427...

The representative told me that it was removed, because it was a silencer.  I explained what a silencer is, and that it was not a silencer.  He eventually concluded that it was because the part number had "556" in it.  I'm not sure how that violates eBay's policies; moreover, a compensator with part number 30 in it (for .30 cal) was also removed.

I am mostly just confused at this point.  Can someone articulate a reason, referencing some part of eBay's policy, why this was removed?

My current understanding seems to be that if a part can be applied to an assault weapon, even if it can also be applied to a non-assault weapon, it is prohibited.  However, scopes are allowed, and hundreds of other muzzle brakes are currently being sold, so this can't be it.  Does it really just come down to: "the policy is whatever a moderator feels like?"  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Explain Firearms Policy

Explain firearms policy

eBay doesn't want to be seen as banning all firearms accessories, but they don't want you selling them here either 😂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Explain Firearms Policy

@forsaleinsl   

This isn't an explanation of the policy but an explanation of why the listing was removed. 

This is what happens.... a BOT or a member reported your listing.

It's then removed by ebay staff who err on the side of caution.

Once an item is removed do NOT relist it even if a CS agent says you can because the BOTS will still be flagging your account now.  

You will need to sell the item somewhere else.  If you relist you could be suspended.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

Your last statement fits the situation.

Interpretation of the policy can be  risky when you sell such.

Best if they toast a listing to not relist.

One will say you can: and you get reported, or the bot finds you: you may end up not selling on eBay at all.

And certain terms and numbers are searched for the bots and listing auto removed.  Hence why the rep said some number might have been the reason.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

In another post, you said:

@forsaleinsl wrote:

I recently posted a compensator for sale that fits any .223 or 5.56 rifle with a  5/8-24 thread pitch.  ... included in the posting text: "The item is classified by BAFTE as a compensator, not a flash suppressor, read more at <link>".  ...

Don't mention or show anything in your listing that is not allowed to be listed on eBay.

Muzzle brakes and compensators operate similar to flash suppressors, even if there are nuances to their functions or uses that make a difference to a gun enthusiast. I saw one website where the author, a former marine, stated that the "flash-hider" on the guns they used was officially referred to as a "compensator".

The difference between them may be open to interpretation, and eBay sometimes changes their interpretation on policies like this. Ultimately, eBay's interpretation is the only one that matters in these situations.

On a side note, links to off-eBay websites are not allowed.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

Your item was probably reported by a competitor. There are a couple of hundred still listed, that mention 5.56 and .223 and many more in 7.62 x 39.  Like previous posters have said, don't even try to relist it. And, you can waste time reporting the others if you want, but I've found, from experience, that eBay tends to ignore reports if it is a high volume seller.  Been there done that, not worth the hassle.

Explain Firearms Policy

Explain firearms policy

eBay doesn't want to be seen as banning all firearms accessories, but they don't want you selling them here either 😂

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

I notice that when it comes users posting about eBay holding funds or executing other actions that lack transparency (and sometimes legality), there' always an apologist user who rushes in to defend them. o_0 

"Don't mention or show anything in your listing that is not allowed to be listed on eBay."

I didn't.  I complied with their written policy, but they didn't.

"Muzzle brakes and compensators operate similar to flash suppressors, even if there are nuances to their functions or uses that make a difference to a gun enthusiasts."

You are incorrect.  This is not a matter of opinion for the gun enthusiast; they are two different classifications of devices, with different effects and different functions.  This has led to one being regulated under state law, while the other is not.   Muzzle brakes and compensators increase sound and light report, while controlling muzzle rise; flash hiders decrease light report.    The hearsay from "a Marine" on the website" you "saw", does not change this.  Personal ignorance and the inability to distinguish two different things does not mean they are the same. 

"The difference between them may be open to interpretation...

Again, they are two different classes of device.  They are either one thing, or they are not.  I included a letter from the ATF stating that it is not, so I am not sure how there's room for any interpretation on this.  Objective fact does exist.

"and eBay sometimes changes their interpretation on policies like this. 

It sounds like you're saying that the written policy doesn't matter at all, which it apparently doesn't

"Ultimately, eBay's interpretation is the only one that matters in these situations."

This is the hard truth, and the one thing we do agree on.  Perhaps it would be better for eBay's policy to be, "we make this up as we go," or "you can sell firearm-related items only if you're a  high volume seller."  They don't do that because it makes them sound like a really cruddy company, which they are. 

"On a side note, links to off-eBay websites are not allowed."

My post was removed for violating a non-existent and inconsistently applied policy.  Stay focused, don't distract. 😉

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

For anyone else with this problem, I'm posting a screenshot (with seller/product information redacted), of a muzzle brake that has sold over 30 times.  It contains all of the properties that the representative said mine was removed for, including the number "556".

The effective policy is this: "We don't like you selling gun-related items on our site.   The written policy means nothing-we can and will flag anything as an assault weapon device to suppress listings, unless you are a high volume seller.  Our anti-firearms morals have a price 🙂 . "

Just for anyone's education.  I sold all 3 devices yesterday on AL, by the way.  Skip the red tape.   Time to let this account go back into hibernation for another two years.   Every time I forget why I  stopped using ebay, they quickly remind me.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

Because this site is OWNED by eBay, they can basically say anything they want. If they state "Our policy for selling gun parts changes every day. Tune in for today's latest policy.", then that is what you better do. Whether their policy toward your situation is right or wrong, you had better adhere to it, lousy as it may be. If you don't, you'll be history.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Explain Firearms Policy

Looney mentality, is a screw a firearm? or sights, even a  trigger. It’s a cohesive collection of parts, assembled which makes a firearm. A muzzle break is not a firearm. It’s a WOKE mentality pandemic going on here, and its dream to remove all aspects of guns away from the people EBay is just part of it, and they know it. I wonder why? Hahaha.    

Message 10 of 10
latest reply