cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expected delivery dates need to be updated

Ebay really needs to update the estimated delivery dates. 

Customers are baffled at how slow the mail is moving, and packages that used to take 2-3 days are now taking 8-20 days.  Sellers get questions from buyers about whether the items have actually been mailed, and it's only a matter of time before speedy expectations are met with "item not received" requests for refunds.

General warnings about slow mail aren't helping.  Buyers still point to the estimated date featured in the listing and confirmed by the post office's tracking record.  We need to adjust the expectations.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You're absolutely right. Delivery estimates that are based on historic averages are going to be way off.  

Within the past hour, I have read Community posts about (1) USPS closing the sorting center in Denver that services the entire states of CO and WY; and (2) a post by a buyer who lives on the east coast, who is wondering why his purchase from a seller in CO got a scan in Washington State.

I live on the east coast, too, and I've been watching the tracking on a purchase I made on May 11 from a seller in Texas. So far, it has gotten 4 scans at facilities in TX but apparently hasn't left that state yet.  The USPS estimated delivery date of May 26, for a First Class package that was accepted on May 12, at least seems plausible at this point. But that's a full 2 weeks, for a service that would normally take about 3 days.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

I had to do a forced refund close to $150 b/c of slow delivery from Chicago to Brooklyn.

Now the package is in that Brooklyn post office about to get delivered. I've emailed the customer, but she does not answer.

What an expensive experience for me. Check out the tracking>

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@stuff4divas   Maybe it's not too late to file a package intercept.  It costs about $10 and you're charged only if it succeeds.

https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Just for the record USPS is not the only carrier that is late.  On another site we  ordered an item estimated deliver  date May 7 shipping via FedEx.  The item has been in our  "neighborhood" (about 40 miles away) for  about 10 days.  Still no notification of being out for delivery.

Have bought 3 items recently shipping via USPS via FCP no problems - 1 on item the other two 2 days early.  All shipped for a good  distance from Georgia - like Missouri, Minnesota and Azizona

My take on this is there is no way eBay can reasonably or accurately ESTIMATE an extended ESTIMATED deliver date.  IMO the best thing they can do is attach to each purchase confirmation a notification is that an extended delivery time beyond the normal expected date provided can be expected due to issues caused by the COVID-19  outbreak please be patient as long as seller ships (as in scanned in) within their stated handling time.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

Thank you!

Actually, I already did this and paid $14.65 but received a confirmation saying it is not guaranteed and is non refundable whether it works or not 😞

I've been calling the Brooklyn office since they opened, about 30 calls so far, no answer 😞

I emailed the buyer again, no answer 😞

The only thing left is prayer 🙏 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote: ... I already did this and paid $14.65 but received a confirmation saying it is not guaranteed and is non refundable whether it works or not 

Hmm, the page that I linked to above says, "If the shipment is intercepted, your credit card will be charged the $14.65 Package Intercept fee plus any applicable postage."  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

The attached is, in part, a letter from USPS Consumers Affairs Dept

"The Postal Service will make every effort to find the mail item and redirect as requested, however the service is not guaranteed and regrettably, refunds are not available."  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

THey DO BADLY. Ebay is just giving away my money and my items. People expect there items there in 5 days beacuse thats what ebay sets the eta. In the past 3 months ZERO PACKAGES DELIVERED IN THAT AMOUNT OF TIME 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I had to do the same thing and I even explained to the customer it’s your county, (Broward co, FL) that’s closed off. Since I’m also making and donating face masks I had put a couple in her order just to be nice. So I had to refund her money and she got her item a couple days later and free masks. Arggg

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@pridegal113 

did you contact her and ask to either send the package back or you will send her a PayPal invoice?

FYI- the intercept a package that I paid $14.65 for actually worked!! The post office sent me a notice and they're sending the pkg back.

Also, my buyer replied to my message yesterday and said she would just refuse the package as requested by me should the package appear at her door, plus she was very apologetic about not being more patient.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

The receiving post office has acknowledged my intercept 💃 

And you are correct about what it says online about not being charged if not successful, even tho I was messaged differently from the USPS Consumers Affairs Dept. I'll be sure to message them back asking for clarification.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! 😉

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Hi,

Whenever I sell am item, no matter where I sell them. I write the customer a note & state that the mail is having delays. Then my back is covered. Even here which ever account I sell from E-bay sees I write to them & state this, so negative feedback can be removed then. Always CYA! I ship 3 items a day at least & never had an issue with feedback on any of my sites.

Maybe this helps. Good luck all & remember to stay safe 🙏💖😊

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The  post offices are getting slammed. Including small towns. UPS and Fedex are dropping off packages and is paying the Postal Offices to deliver them.  So the workers are overwhelmed. It will take longer to deliver and E-bay did notify that deliveries will be take longer ,they have raised my delivery dates up 10 days.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply