cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone’s filtering by eBay Guaranteed Delivery. Reach more buyers by opting in

Who is "everyone"?

I sure don't, but then again I'm not "everyone". . .

Do YOU filter your search by "Guaranteed Delivery"?

The title is a message I received from eBay

"Now they see you. Now they don’t."

Message 1 of 95
latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Everyone’s filtering by eBay Guaranteed Delivery. Reach more buyers by opting in

@byrd69er wrote:
I'll never understand the paranoia of buyers and their need to check a tracking number, and eBay's insistence that it be uploaded within a certain time. The item will get there when it gets there. Looking at the tracking status isn't going to make it arrive any faster.

Oh...and good luck if you try to get the USPS to use their tracking numbering system to find a parcel that has an arrival issue. Ain't gonna happen.

Ah ha!  I can tell that you have never taken a tin of cookies to your post office crew at Christmas time!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 61 of 95
latest reply

The number of "everyone's" using the Guaranteed Delivery filter may increase depending on air play as I just saw an eBay TV commercial touting this new service ~ Guaranteed 3 day delivery!  It was on Bravo!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 62 of 95
latest reply

At the post office, "guaranteed delivery" means that if you pay for 2-day shipping and it gets there in 3 days, your shipping fee can be credited back to you.

on eBay, I get the feeling that "guaranteed delivery" means it will be there in 2 days, no matter what. No carrier offers that.. not for anywhere near affordable anyway.

Message 63 of 95
latest reply

Haven't seen the ad for 3 Day, but it's 8-to-5 that the word "WE" won't be seen or heard.
Message 64 of 95
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

The number of "everyone's" using the Guaranteed Delivery filter may increase depending on air play as I just saw an eBay TV commercial touting this new service ~ Guaranteed 3 day delivery!  It was on Bravo!

I saw the ad last night on TV - appropriately during 'Scandal'.

I laughed.

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@z50com  I saw that message too in my inbox, opened it then deleted it ... from the beginning we learned that the Garaunteed Delivery was a "me too" offering because of other online sales venues.

I already offer both Parcel Select and Priority Mail on collectibles ... care to wager howmany people pick Priority Mail over the lower cost - cheaper - less expensive Parcel select ... ahhhh, let me repeat the keypoints "lower cost - cheaper - less expensive"... nothing in there about quicker so in the end, its all about money.

Now, what has occured this year it seems is that for most shipping zones my cost to ship Priority with the eBay discount is equal to or within 50 cents less that what the Buyer sees for Parcel Select ... so in most cases, because Priority has the built in Insurance (that I've never had to use) PLUS the package will beat the delivery estimate hands down, I ship Priority. 

In closing, I will say that sure, there are times when a Buyer wants or has to have some ASAP ... but I would think most of them would message a Seller and ask if a specific delivery time period is possible ... like has happened here once or twice out of over 1000 sales ...

I too offer a choice of Parcel Select or Priority services....

Maybe only 1 out of every 20 (5%) actually choose the faster Priority service, even when the costs are nearly the same.

Problem is Ebay never asks us our input on important issues....we sellers know what our buyers want.

If ebay just consulted sellers as business partners should, they could save themselves a lot of problems.  

Message 66 of 95
latest reply

Apparently, an ebay MBA is worth it's weight in...stock.
They don't need no stinkin' input...
Message 67 of 95
latest reply

OK, now that everyone has dumped on the program, I have a few comments.

Most every one of you would be just fine if you opted into the "Ship within your Handling time" option, because you are all good, honest sellers who abide by your own rules.  And you set a handling time you know you can achieve.  Despite the title of the program, you are NOT guaranteeing a delivery date if you ship within your handling time.  You can be successful at that level if you want to be. 

And you can be sure that 10 days to two days before Christmas, buyers WILL be searching by Guaranteed Delivery. 

How many times do you see sellers come here with issues caused by a buyer who didn't get his item fast enough?  Happens frequently.  YOU may be perfectly happy waiting a while for a delivery, but not everyone is.  One of the reasons people buy on Amazon is because of the fast delivery. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 68 of 95
latest reply

1) There's no guarantee that GD is a game changer.
2) If an item is "late", who gets blamed?...not ebay, but the poor sap seller.
ebay is a "venue", not a shipper. If you choose to believe that an entity that never touches an item can guarantee it's delivery by a date certain, maybe a late shipment is in your future.
Message 69 of 95
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

Most every one of you would be just fine if you opted into the "Ship within your Handling time" option, because you are all good, honest sellers who abide by your own rules.  And you set a handling time you know you can achieve.  Despite the title of the program, you are NOT guaranteeing a delivery date if you ship within your handling time.  You can be successful at that level if you want to be. 

And you can be sure that 10 days to two days before Christmas, buyers WILL be searching by Guaranteed Delivery. 

How many times do you see sellers come here with issues caused by a buyer who didn't get his item fast enough?  Happens frequently.  YOU may be perfectly happy waiting a while for a delivery, but not everyone is.  One of the reasons people buy on Amazon is because of the fast delivery. 

I usually select the slow delivery from Amazon because that gives me either a 5.00 credit towards the Pantry items, or 1.00 towards media items. Only problem with that is that they use UPS SurePost, which is worse(if possible) than Fed Ex SmartPost.

But yes, most use Amazon because they ship 2nd day - and they can, because they get a huge discount thru Fed Ex.

But when ebay starts to eat a lot of shipping charges, how long do you think this part of the GD program is going to last? And any bets that 10 to 2 days before Christmas that selection will go away, or somehow not shown on anyones listings other than ones that offer next or secone day?

Doesn't affect me, because I only sell via auction here.

And in your situation - with where you live - I wonder how well that would work out? Maybe a lot of buyers would get their shipping free! Isn't the other part of it that they can instead choose to return it, and ebay pays for the return back?

@myboardid wrote:

99% of those who complain about not geting their item fast enough is doing just that...complaining with merit.

I'm sure there are legitimate cases where an item is delivered past it's estimated due date, but in my experience it's usually just someone who is naturally impatient to begin with. (it usually starts with a message at 10pm on the day they paid)..."Did you ship my item out yet"

My point is, for some it will Never be fast enough...

Message 71 of 95
latest reply

At least for Christmas deliveries...if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Delivery people will be logging 16 hour days the week of Christmas...and will likely have leftover packages for the next run.
Unless you give yourself 3 days leeway, your whining will be met with a shrug.
Message 72 of 95
latest reply

"Everyone’s filtering by eBay Guaranteed Delivery."

They wish

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 73 of 95
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

99% of those who complain about not getting their item fast enough is doing just that...complaining WITHOUT merit.

TYPO 

Message 74 of 95
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

And now eBay has opened themselves up to mass lawsuits from opportunistic buyers who will take them to task every time a package is a day late.  After all, eBay guarantees that they deliver in three days tops (is probably what the mindset of the average viewer would likely be), and just one missing of the guaranteed date would be grounds in their eyes for vehement claims of false advertising.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 75 of 95
latest reply