cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone else is having a Black Friday kind of sale

Why isn't Ebay pushing one? Walmart got one, Amazon got one...heck everyone got one, but Ebay is as silent as a tomb. Sales have been down 10%, 5% of sellers have left, and there is no fight at all.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Everyone else is having a Black Friday kind of sale

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I think ebay actually had one of those early "Black Friday" sales last week....I'm sure they are basically just recycling their Daily Deals type sellers, and I don't know how much advertising they did beyond their usual Daily Deals push....

I've asked on Weekly Chat and elsewhere for ebay to let us in their Q4 marketing plans, but....no real reply.  if they've got any big marketing campaign planned, it's still under wraps. The crafty site (whose 4 letter name also begins with e and ends with y) has already released a bunch of Holiday videos....just go to their YouTube channel if you want to watch them.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  yep, eBay rushed out a "me too" tag along early Black Friday sale after everyone else did it, but you're correct it was basically just a link to their Daily Deals section and mostly pushing discounts on certified refurbished items.

I did see coverage about it in USA Today, but it was in the Reviewed section and looked like sponsored content to me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/reviewed/2021/10/18/ebay-black-friday-2021-sale/8499355002/

Hopefully they have something else (better) planned for the actual Black Friday sale?

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Ebay can't have a sale on my items. Ebay is a host for sellers to sell, you do realize they don't sell anything right? 

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@chapeau-noir ebay can run Holiday specials the same way they run Daily Deals---these are all basically individual contracts with sellers for a certain item to be offered at a certain price, with the seller guaranteeing he has x number of units, etc.  As to ebay funded coupons, they might do it, but I agree, I wouldn't count on it, because that's one of the things Wenig did that brought in "low value buyers" instead of "high value buyers" ...basically, the current CEO felt such coupons had a poor return on investment. I think if they do any coupons it will be much more targeted than the old sitewide coupons. 

Of course, they could maybe do more to promote sellers who run , say, coded coupon sales on Black Friday, especially if the sellers meet a certain minimum percentage, something like that. But will they? Who knows? I've been asking for weeks for ebay to provide us with at least some information about their Q4 Marketing plans, and all I get is...crickets. My guess is, if you want to benefit from whatever marketing ebay is planning, pivot to selling high end sneakers, watches, luxury handbags or trading cards. Maybe parts and accessories or certified refurbished stuff.....that ought to do it LOL

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Maybe they're too busy 'reimagining' to do something so pedestrian as sponsoring a Black Friday sale. Coded coupons are a great idea because they'd be flexible and determined by individual sellers.  Etsy used to do something like that but I have no idea if they're continuing to do it.

But looks like it's all sneakers all day. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

It's a Venn Diagram situation, but I suspect the overlap is considerable although not a perfect circle.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

From long experience in retail, both online and Real World, I think eBay is smart not to push discount sales.

It's been my experience that discounts lead to the same number of sales, but lower profits.

Most retailers are discounting out of season or pre-season goods, or make special buys of lower value items for the sales.

Since eBay sellers are often sourcing their products from out of season, end lots, refurbished items to begin with, it doesn't seem feasible.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@clemowbooks wrote:

From long experience in retail, both online and Real World, I think eBay is smart not to push discount sales.

It's been my experience that discounts lead to the same number of sales, but lower profits.

Most retailers are discounting out of season or pre-season goods, or make special buys of lower value items for the sales.

Since eBay sellers are often sourcing their products from out of season, end lots, refurbished items to begin with, it doesn't seem feasible.

That's probably true - my sales on Etsy boomed during special sales when we could offer coupons, but that's generally a different (or used to be a different) product selection.  Such a sale would bring more attention to eBay, though, which might benefit those sellers who can discount.  There must be some way to goose this place.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

I notice eBay is now encouraging sellers to offer discount coupons, but I haven't looked into what that would mean.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply