cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every do a major overhaul on your eBay store?

So basically the problem stems from my shipper closing their branches near my house and work, so that I might have to switch back to mailing in Canada with Canada Post. (I'm doing cost analysis on this to figure out what I need to do with my listings to make that happen).

I'm using a software called SixBit and didn't use any shipping presets. I learnt about those earlier in the week and am applying that to all listings. I'm also recategorizing my items, not that anything really wrong with the current categories, however if I'm shipping with Canada Post, prices will change, and promos will have to be rewritten on things like combined shipping. So organizing a new category structure will make it easier. I also organized my listings in SixBit in a way that I could manage them better. (For instance subcategorizing types of items to make it easy to make mass changes to a specific product).

So reorganizing the database and the eBay store are the two main tasks, and I've been at it for a week. While the system takes time to sync changes I can ship orders in the background, so it's not like I'm out of service, I just can't make new listings right now.

My very last steps in this change is to update my shipping location back to Canada (if I'm shipping everything from Canada, without my shipper I'll not be using USPS anymore). And putting together new combined shipping promos so shipping can be cheap on single coins, but not cheap on coin sets (which wasn't a huge problem with USPS shipping, but there's a steep rate increase going over a pound with Canada Post, or should I say, going over 500 grams).

As part of my cost analysis, I went on eBay.ca and pretended I was going to purchase labels for all of April's listings to see how much more it costs to ship from Canada. I learnt that single coins and small things it makes almost no difference in price. But with postcards, it's way more expensive to ship those to the US from Canada. For first day covers, it's even steeper the increase in postage for up to 3oz from Canada to US. For international mail, there's very little change needed.

I also learnt where I'm going to spend significantly more on postage is the big parcels that go out a couple times a month (currently in a flat rate medium priority box, one guy won almost all my auctions last Sunday and got a big priority box of items, another token buyer purchases almost all my tokens every week plus extra stuff I have that I'm not listing, and it's super steep to mail his packages from Canada). So these are things to consider.

However at the same time, the drive to use USPS still is 3 hours per trip (two trips per week, and $25 in fuel per trip), and that's two nights a week I'm not able to do listings and work on my store. That misery of driving to mail packages starts on Thursday next week.

If you've gotten some experience with serious revamping of your store, please share what you did and what you learnt. I figured while I'm at it, I'll do everything that needs to be done. I've put it off long enough, so now it's time to spend the time in fixing things. It will make it better for me in the future.

C.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@sin-n-dex 

Quite the undertaking you have on your plate. That drive though.....  brutal.

I made the 3 hour round trip into mid cities in DFW yesterday to pick up items to list. Fortunately I only do that once or twice per month.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute concerning the store revamp. Sounds like, as usual, you have a solid grasp on your task.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@sin-n-dex 

Quite the undertaking you have on your plate. That drive though.....  brutal.

I made the 3 hour round trip into mid cities in DFW yesterday to pick up items to list. Fortunately I only do that once or twice per month.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute concerning the store revamp. Sounds like, as usual, you have a solid grasp on your task.

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually have an update. A poster from the forum told me about another shipping service like Chit Chats and they're near my work (not as close as Chit Chats was, but I can pass by on my way home from work). So that problem was resolved.

And last night I finished recategorizing all the items in the store, applying consistent shipping to everything, and putting promos up based on category. (Formerly I just had it divided by continent for all types of items, but I've broken it down to keep all the banknotes, coins, tokens, stamps, etc, together, and then subdivided by region).

However while recategorizing the store I wasn't doing listings or sending offers or anything that would help sales... so it's been a slow week this week.

C.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

"I actually have an update. A poster from the forum told me about another shipping service like Chit Chats and they're near my work (not as close as Chit Chats was, but I can pass by on my way home from work). So that problem was resolved."

That is a major league win if it cuts out that 3 hour turn around.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

"I actually have an update. A poster from the forum told me about another shipping service like Chit Chats and they're near my work (not as close as Chit Chats was, but I can pass by on my way home from work). So that problem was resolved."

That is a major league win if it cuts out that 3 hour turn around.

It's literally 10 min out of my way... In the end I arrive home maybe 20-30 minutes later (because the stop puts me in rush hour traffic some more). I was arriving home 3 hours late with that extra drive.

Anyway with not many sales this week, I'm glad I didn't have to do the drive, that would have been a waste. There's only been a few sales a day (well maybe more than a few sales, but only a few orders, people buy multiple items).

Anyway it's ended well, and with the store newly designed, when Monday rolls around I can go back to my regular tasks again.

C.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Canada Post is raising prices on Monday.

There is a link on the dotCA seller's Board- from a member not eBay

Message 6 of 6
latest reply