cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending an item with bids

Buyer has made a very good offer for an item with two bids.  I fear the bidding will never go as high as the offer.  I can't add a Buy-It-Now because it has bids.  I would like to end the auction and change the item to a B-I-N.   Is it do-able under the circumstances?   I'm willing to risk losing the bidders as customers.  

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Ending an item with bids

@cobweb* wrote:

I'm willing to risk losing the bidders as customers.  

Sounds like a good plan to prompt

ebay buyers to consider shopping elsewhere. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

You should have started the auction with the amount you wanted for the item. You could have put a BIN on it too.

Just let the auction play out and you may get even more than what someone has offered. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@cobweb* wrote:

Is it do-able under the circumstances?   I'm willing to risk losing the bidders as customers. 

NO. In fact Ebay and buyers hate when sellers do that. Ebay will charge you a FVF for ending it as a penalty.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@cobweb* wrote:

Buyer has made a very good offer for an item with two bids.  I fear the bidding will never go as high as the offer.  I can't add a Buy-It-Now because it has bids.  I would like to end the auction and change the item to a B-I-N.   Is it do-able under the circumstances?   I'm willing to risk losing the bidders as customers.  

Tell this person to put in a bid equal to his offer to you. He might get it cheaper, he might get it for that price or he might get outbid and you sell it for more (and he doesn't pay more than what he wanted). Since you put it  up for auction you are obviously okay with it selling for less than his offer...

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks... good input. Gonna tell they guy to put his bid in and see what happens.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I would strongly advise against doing it.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@cobweb* wrote:

When someone makes an offer this close to the start of an auction for a desirable item, it usually means they know it will go much higher than their offer and they want to get it cheap, quick, before the seller realizes the real market value.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@cobweb* wrote:

When someone makes an offer this close to the start of an auction for a desirable item, it usually means they know it will go much higher than their offer and they want to get it cheap, quick, before the seller realizes the real market value.

That is so true.  ^^^^^^^^^

Years ago I listed a pair of vintage shoes in an auction - within an hour I had about half a dozen offers to BIN from $100 up to $400 - which I thought was a little high, but I told them thanks but since there was other interest (bids and the other offers) I'll let the listing run to it's end.  The shoes sold for $750.  And most of the people making the offers never bid because they knew the shoes would go for more than what they wanted to pay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Just last month I put something up for sale that was outside my normal knowledge base.  Knew it was valuable, just not how high it would go.

Within an hour of listing it had a couple bids and an email offer of $250. 

It sold for almost $1500.  Yes, I let the auction run to completion.  And paid my rent for 2 months.  Groceries too. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I  agree with the ones that say let the auction run its course. you might be surprised.  you already have 15 watchers on it.

Most early offers come from people that are trying to get it for a steal of a price hoping the seller accepts it knowing it will probably bring more than that if the auction is left to run its course. 

After it is over, please come back and let us know what the offer was and what it actually sold for auction style. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I so hope someone explained selling to you.  LET THE BIDS RUN.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

Just last month I put something up for sale that was outside my normal knowledge base.  Knew it was valuable, just not how high it would go.

Within an hour of listing it had a couple bids and an email offer of $250. 

It sold for almost $1500.  Yes, I let the auction run to completion.  And paid my rent for 2 months.  Groceries too. 

After fees that wouldn't even cover one month of my rent 😞

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Well the op didn't like the advise here and canceled the auction and sold it for a bin price. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Well hopefully it will work out and not be a scam for that amount.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply