cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embargoed goods violation on listing map of Cuba

Listed an 1800's antique map of Cuba and I keep getting a listing violation saying  its an embargoed goods violation. listing immediately gets ended. what's going on here?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Cannot use the word Cuba...in title or description...embargoed good...cannot sell in the USA...other countries can.

Maybe other words like Caribbean would work in the future.

Probably not a good idea to re-list though.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Maps of Cuba don't fall into the embargoed goods policy (unless they're FROM Cuba, I guess). This process is so automated that I wonder if it has anything to do with your title words? The system isn't too smart.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Weird cause I've always listed Cuba for a map in title as do 1000s of other sellers

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

What is your listing title?

In what category are you listing?

Did you fill out the country/region of manufacture item specific?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

The same title that Ive used hundreds of times

1899 Map Cuba Jamaica Haiti ORIGINAL, 

Map is listed in the antique maps category. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I have had a vintage menu from a Cuban restaurant in Tampa blocked for the same reason.

The bot has an IQ of 25. The bot cannot be overridden in a manner which will remain overridden.

Your map is not going to be listed on Ebay for more than a day or two, if it succeeds in getting listed,

My advice is to stop wasting your time and go with the glow.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

There are over 130,00 items with Cuba in the title on Ebay, weird stuff

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I sell stamps...you cannot use the word "Cuba"...plain and simple.

This is for USA sellers only.

How do sellers get around it...they use the words "Caribbean, Cub(not adding an "a" and so on.

Some get around it doing 3 and 5 day auctions.

The big sellers don't get caught.

It's usually another seller who got you the violation.

I have been around the block a few times about this.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I would suggest trying Map OF Cuba, however you already said you had several takedowns and I don't want you to risk a temporary suspension. Instead I'll suggest contacting customer service to appeal the violations. Also, see what this page tells you, if anything: https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp/policy

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

There is not specific for country of manufacture in that category. Closest thing is publisher. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

what's going on here?

Ebay's grand wisdom of bot automation.

You are unlikely to find a good way around it and if you listed after it being pulled you are in the danger zone should you list it again...even if it is perfectly fine to do so by ebay policy.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

You are unlikely to find a good way around it and if you listed after it being pulled you are in the danger zone should you list it again...even if it is perfectly fine to do so by ebay policy.

Yep. I think the best the OP can hope for is to appeal the violations so at least their account is in better health.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

how do I appeal it? never had to do it before?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

how do I appeal it? never had to do it before?

Check the link I posted above. See if there's an option there to appeal. If not, contact CS - preferably through one of their social channels.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 23
latest reply