cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebays Suggested shipping calculation

Hi, I’m new here and wanted to learn a little more about The suggested shipping calculations Ebay makes for you.
So, if your creating your listing with the ebay app & you get all the way down to shipping, Ebay already has a suggestion shipping option with estimated calculations for your item. If you click on anything else it always suggests that it’s best to use their estimated option in which Ebay has calculated for me. 
I do not have scales but I definitely have a measuring tape so I can get the accurate  dimensions myself but for the ounces/pounds, I have to rely on Ebay. If for some reason they estimated the cost too low, am I going to be charged the extra for Ebays mess up on up on their estimated shipping calculations?? I just made my first sale today and  of course I’m worried about this. TIA🌻

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It's a suggestion and an estimate, personally I would never use it. Any shortage on the shipping charged is on you 100%.

If you are planning on selling on a regular or semi-regular basis you really need a scale, you can buy a decent scale right here on eBay for less than $25. One or two errors in your guess by you or by eBay's suggestion could cost you the same amount and you still don't have a scale.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Well, the calculator asks for dimensions plus weight... you can't blame eBay if you can't weigh it.

With your two 1 oz. bottles, considering ample packaging is added... your $3.80 isn't that far off... you won't lose much, if any, if it's shipping to the states. Remember that you're charged FVFs on shipping and you are out-of-pocket the shipping supplies. I'd say on a sale like that one, your buyer wouldn't have minded paying $5.00.

Done that way, you'll have $4.50 in your pocket before you ship and probably enough to cover it.

It's a learning curve, selling on eBay. You've done fine... keep it up!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Are you printing your shipping labels online?  If you wish to sell, then you really need to have a scale in order to properly enter the shipping information when you list and you must enter it correctly when you print a label.  Otherwise, you risk losing money.  I never ever have taken ebay's suggestions, and yes, you are on the hook if they are inaccurate.   I actually never even see them on the listing form I use.  I always enter my own information.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@rachsm15 wrote: ...

I do not have scales but I definitely have a measuring tape so I can get the accurate  dimensions myself but for the ounces/pounds, I have to rely on Ebay. If for some reason they estimated the cost too low, am I going to be charged the extra for Ebays mess up on up on their estimated shipping calculations?? ... 🌻

If you do not charge the buyer enough, that is your own fault and you will have to absorb the extra postage cost.  You should buy a scale rather than relying on eBay's estimates.  eBay cannot possibly know the actual weight of every item, especially when the seller's packaging can vary.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I always wonder how sellers of large items like guitars figure out a flat rate shipping charge, at least for the U.S. Duh, we have 50 states, and shipping to AK and HI is not cheap. Even in CONUS, you can miss including the furthest zone from your house, and get whacked on postage charges. Therefore, try to block some states to protect against surprise shipping costs, and tell buyer to contact you for offers with correctly calculated shipping fees. 

Also, consider studying alternative forms of shipping insurance than the standard policies offered by the carriers. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@snipe-bidder wrote:

I always wonder how sellers of large items like guitars figure out a flat rate shipping charge, at least for the U.S. Duh, we have 50 states, and shipping to AK and HI is not cheap. Even in CONUS, you can miss including the furthest zone from your house, and get whacked on postage charges. Therefore, try to block some states to protect against surprise shipping costs, and tell buyer to contact you for offers with correctly calculated shipping fees. 

Also, consider studying alternative forms of shipping insurance than the standard policies offered by the carriers. 

Don't use flat rate.  Enter the dimensions and packed weight and let the calculator figure the correct postage for the zip code of the buyer at the time of purchase.  That way you don't overcharge nearby buyers or lose money elsewhere.   Having buyers contact for shipping charges isn't the proper thing ever.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

How to weigh an object without a scale.

Step 1. Place the pencil under the 6-inch mark on the ruler with the pencil perpendicular to the ruler.

Step 2. Tape each of the two squares of cardboard to the ends of the ruler so the ruler maintains its balance on the pencil without tipping one direction or the other.

Step 3. Place the item you want to weigh on one of the two pieces of cardboard, causing the ruler to tip to that side.

Step 4. Stack coins on the other cardboard until the ruler returns to balance. If you add a coin and the balance tips too far to the coins side, replace a larger coin with a smaller one.

Step 5. Add the weights of the coins placed on the balance to find the weight in grams of the item. Use 2.5 grams for each penny, 2.3 grams per dime, 5.0 grams per nickel and 5.7 grams per quarter.

Things You'll Need
12-inch flat wooden ruler
Pencil
2 pieces of cardboard, 3 inches square
Tape
U.S. coins (pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters)
Item for measuring

OR you can buy a nice entry level 25lbs. digital scale at the post office for about $30.00. 

What's your time worth?

What's your sanity worth?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That's a fine technique for lower weights, but USPS First Class postage is the same up to 4 ounces (113 grams), which would be equal to about 45 pennies, 50 dimes, or 20 quarters.... 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Buy a scale.

Don't trust anything else.

I notice my reliable StarFrit kitchen scale which weighs up to five kilos is available at Canadian Tire this week for $14.99.

starfrit scale.png

It also weighs in Imperial measures.

Postal rates can soar on a gram difference in weight, so never never guess.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@rachsm15 - 

@rachsm15 wrote:

Hi, I’m new here <snip>
I do not have scales but I definitely have a measuring tape <snip>

When I first started selling online, it was only doll clothing and some ephemera, so I only used first class shipping. I didn't need a scale then. Once I started selling items over 14 oz, I tried to "figure out" the weight myself. I even used my bathroom scale by weighing myself then holding the item and looking at the difference. Yeah, that's what I did for about one month. 

Once I got that first error and realized how much more I had to pay in shipping, due to my ignorance, I quickly went on Amazon and found a new scale for $20. I still use it to this day. Not once have I ever had an error on shipping charges. Not once have I ever had to make up the difference for my error. All because I finally spent $20 bucks and purchased a scale. I'm looking at my scale as I write this. 

Go out and purchase yourself a $20 scale and start selling. You'll really have fun and make some extra money. Go buy the scale. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply