cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebayers ------ Scam Alert!!!!!

Hello. I am just new to Ebay Selling but been a member since 2015.  I thought some Ebay sellers are the only ones who can scam people by listing authentic ones then sending the fake ones, selling things not as described etcs.   I dealt with them numerous times, regardless of how many feedbacks they have.

I started selling and recently,  somebody offered a good price for one of my listings and messaged me to help him pay since he is new ( he has 1 feedback ) he said it was a  valentine gift for his girlfriend and asked me a favour if I can also include a $300 steam card or amazon gift card he will pay me extra for the trouble too.  So I sent him a revised paypal receipt after talking to Ebay CS to make sure I am not violating any. His alibi was he could not send money with the link I sent thru txt and asked me my  email so he can just send it directly to my paypal acct.

After 2 - 3 minutes, received an email saying that there is " MONEY RECEIVED  complete with transaction ID, Paypal logo, Paypal platform etc.  It really seems like a legit email from Paypal that the buyer paid me.  

Good thing I checked my actual Paypal and there is no transaction at that day, I even called Paypal ( long wait) to inquire about the Transaction ID because the buyer is kinda rushing. But there is none.....

So I told the guy that it hasn't appeared yet and as soon as it appeared regardless if the funds are being held, I will send it right away.....

It was a 3 day pressure on me and threatening a negative feedback and all that.

Funds never appear...........

I am so thankful Ebay and Paypal are on my side on this one, helped go thru reporting process and everything.

I hope this helps both sellers and buyers.....

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The scammers are out in full force!  I have read SO many threads on this and other scams today.  You checked it out...how many fell for it?  Sad.  Did you open up an unpaid case?  Block the 'buyer'?

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Glad you didn't fall for that very common scam attempt.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Very old scam, glad you were savvy enough to check your Paypal account before shipping.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

These scammers are in another Country and are only interested in the gift card numbers. Glad you did not fall for it, many new sellers do.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If it's not in Paypal -- it doesn't exist.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@luxx_int wrote:

So I sent him a revised paypal receipt after talking to Ebay CS to make sure I am not violating any.

I have a hard time believing that eBay customer support advise you to violate eBay policy and avoid eBay fees by invoicing a buyer directly through PayPal. 

How did you make contact with this "eBay CS" that you told you to do this?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@clemowbooks Unless you are in managed payments and then eBay says it is ok to ship. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I reported the buyer and forwarded all communications to them for investigation.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

She made put sold merchandise and included Ebay Item number.  I went to seller hub and always hit more help , they will be the ones contacting you with the tel # on file

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It is a red flag when someone wants to text or email a seller instead of staying in eBay Messages. It is a red flag when the buyer wants to bypass eBay and pay a seller “directly to PayPal”. It is a big red flag when a buyer suggests a seller add a gift card to the transaction.

It is a violation of eBay policy to exchange contact information in eBay Messages prior to a sale. It is a policy violation to take any part of the transaction off eBay. 

It is just mind boggling that an eBay customer service rep didnt know enough to advise the OP that he was being scammed and was also breaking eBay rules on top of it.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@luxx_int wrote:

So I sent him a revised paypal receipt after talking to Ebay CS to make sure I am not violating any.

I have a hard time believing that eBay customer support advise you to violate eBay policy and avoid eBay fees by invoicing a buyer directly through PayPal. 

How did you make contact with this "eBay CS" that you told you to do this?

I think we'd all like to know this, seeing as there are more and more recommendations from "ebay CS" that doesn't fly.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I just received the first attempt on my 401K....so thieves will try everything, to gain access to YOUR financial information, not only for gift cards.

KrazzyKats

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

OMG SMH scary! Thanks tho On the heads up at least. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply