cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay theft through FVF No transparent threshold between high and very high.

Well they did it.  I am now considered "very high"  My peers are listed as 4.5 percent and I'm at 6.5 percent.  So what gives?  What percentage would I need to reach to exit "very high" status?  Oh I guess ebay won't allow me to know this and I'll bet I could get to 4.6 percent and it would still be very high!  HAh!!!  How do these people sleep at night?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@epartshighway wrote:

What percentage would I need to reach to exit "very high" status?  Oh I guess ebay won't allow me to know this and I'll bet I could get to 4.6 percent and it would still be very high!

IMHO one goal of these penalty fees is to encourage sellers with too many returns to leave the site.

And you are probably correct; eBay has no incentive to publish the exact benchmark. Because if they did, then unscrupulous sellers would know exactly how many shill transactions would be needed to get below it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I agree with you up until your final point.  No seller wants to have returns open.  Therefore a buyer somehow premeditating the amount of returns to get a month is ridiculously far fetched.  And lastly, ebay needs to spend a little less time worrying about conspiracy theories (which this is and is also just an excuse to not tell you the benchmark) and spend a little more time figuring out ways to actually protect their income which comes from sellers.  No sellers= no money for ebay. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@epartshighway wrote:

Well they did it.  I am now considered "very high"  My peers are listed as 4.5 percent and I'm at 6.5 percent.  So what gives?  What percentage would I need to reach to exit "very high" status? 

I do not think there is a set percentage?  It is based on your peer group which can changed virtually daily based on the attributes that defines a peer group.  Here is how eBay defines your peer group  -  Your peers are sellers who list

• on the same listing site as yours,
  • sell items in the same category
  • and have similar listing attributes such as item price, estimated delivery dates,
  • item condition, and return policy.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@epartshighway wrote:

No sellers= no money for ebay. 

Believe me this, you're not doing yourself any favors by adopting the mindset of the seller in the superior position.

I've seen many sellers do it, they start to think they're paying the bills so ebay should cater  and bow to them!!!

They won't, and it only hurts those sellers who think that they ever would.

Even if it's just wishful thinking, this is a dangerous mindset to play with.

Think of Toys'r Us, Sears, these are businesses where the sellers lingered long after the last buyer was gone.

Years after the last buyer spent any real money there, YEARS...

5, 8, 10 or more, the stores stayed deserted day after day, week after week, month after month and they may have gotten one solitary buyer here or there, maybe... 

YEARS of that and still they stayed open pretending or hoping that maybe one day... I think the last time I stepped foot in a Sears was well over 10 years ago, probably closer to 15 maybe even 20 or more yet they still have a store here and there.  I know for a fact it was in the 90's the last time I went into a Toys'R US and their store was deserted then...

Kmart is another, we're talking slow agonizing deaths.

Ebay would be no different.

If you still doubt it just look at all the threads wondering where sales have gone.

Don't kid yourself.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@tonf-21 wrote:

@epartshighway wrote:

No sellers= no money for ebay. 

Believe me this, you're not doing yourself any favors by adopting the mindset of the seller in the superior position.

To expand on this point ...

It is probably true that "no sellers = no money".  But it is probably also true that "fewer sellers = same money".

When eBay loses a seller, in most cases other sellers will pick up the slack. That seller's potential customers would simply buy a similar item from a similar seller at a similar price.

The only time eBay loses money when they lose a seller is when that seller's items are so unique or extraordinary that their customers would leave eBay empty-handed rather than buy something else from someone else.

And I think that if the vast majority of most sellers were honest, they would admit their items are not that unique or extraordinary.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Are there any sellers on here that have fallen into the "high" category?  I have yet to hear of one! 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

>>Are there any sellers on here that have fallen into the "high" category? I have yet to hear of one! 

Cheech_and_Chong_I_Think_We're_Parked_Man.jpg

What was the question? grin

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@epartshighway wrote:

and spend a little more time figuring out ways to actually protect their income which comes from sellers.

I think that is exactly what eBay is doing.  Here is why I think that: 

(a) The dollar volume of buying on eBay has grown about 13% ($84b to $95b) in the last two years, while over that same time the number of listings has grown by 50% (800 million to 1.2 billion). Thus IMHO eBay clearly values buyers more than sellers because they are harder to come by. 

(b) eBay has statistics available from millions of buyers and billions of transactions. I suspect they have done some  analysis, and discovered that the more returns a buyer experiences, the more likely he is to stop buying here. 

(c) Clearly there are going to be some returns that make buyers unhappy and turn them off from eBay, and clearly there are also some returns that don't.  

So how does eBay keep buyers happy? They have two choices:

(1) They could spend a lot of time, money, and effort analyzing each return and classifying it as a "good" return (one where the buyer is still happy and willing to buy here) or as a "bad" return (one where the buyer is unhappy and less likely to buy here) and only punish the sellers with "bad" returns. 

... or ...

(2) They could simply discourage - or get rid of - any seller who generates too many returns. 

Since eBay already has too many sellers for the current volume of buying, it seems pretty clear to me that they have chosen option (2).

In other words, eBay does not care why a seller has lots of returns, they simply care that a seller has too many returns. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply