cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay policy on 1942 German Flag (in 1942 Rand McNally booklet: World Flags)

I want to sell this booklet which I think is legal on eBay.

However, if allowed, I would show the German and American Flags which were different back then.

But I might get in trouble showing a pic of the page with the German flag since it has a black swastika in a white circle on a red flag.

I also have a German band saw from 1939 that has an embossed metal tag showing the cutting speeds for various metals including gold (!)

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ebay policy on 1942 German Flag (in 1942 Rand McNally booklet: World Flags)

Were there other "different" flags (in 1942) that you could show, and skip the one with the swastika?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Some stuff with a swastika can be list and some can't 

What is the policy?

Listings or content that promote, perpetuate or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination, including on the grounds of race, ethnicity, color, religion, disability, national origin, sex, gender and gender identity or sexual orientation, aren't allowed. This includes but is not limited to the following:

• Slurs or epithets of any kind
  • Slavery items, including reproductions, such as tags, shackles, documents, bills of sale, etc.
  • Items with racist, anti-Semitic, or otherwise demeaning portrayals, for example through caricatures or other exaggerated features, including figurines, cartoons, housewares, historical advertisements, and golliwogs
  • Black Americana items that are discriminatory
  • Confederate battle flag and related items with its image
  • Historical Holocaust-related and Nazi-related items, including reproductions
  • Any item that is anti-Semitic or any item from after 1933 that bears a swastika
  • Media identified as Nazi propaganda
  • Listings that imply or promote support of, membership in, or funding of a terrorist organization

The following items may be listed:

• Media such as historical photos, magazines, books and art, provided that such material doesn't perpetuate or glorify violence, intolerance or racial stereotyping
  • Items related to the Civil Rights Movement
  • Stamps, letters, and envelopes displaying Nazi postmarks
  • Currency issued by the Nazi Germany government, including military scripts
  • Historically accurate WWII military model kits that have Nazi symbols
  • Historical and religious items that bear a swastika if they are made before 1933 and are not related to Nazism
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Just never show the swastika, ever. I blur it out even when it is 100 percent legitimate. I blur it out on book titles, I blur it out on period accurate WWII miniatures and model kits.  I blur it on everything.

Showing it isn't going to make it sell.

There are already a half dozen copies of the book on ebay and zero sales this year and only 1 sale last year. Looking at the one sale last year they cleared all of $3.25 on the sale.

This isn't an item worth overthinking or risking any account trouble over.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I agree with all the other's, why pick the only flag that may trigger a take down - 195 flags to choose from - pick 2

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

No, there are no sales of it.  And there is one listed.  Where are you getting your information?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@tomatbay wrote:

No, there are no sales of it.  And there is one listed.  Where are you getting your information?

@tomatbay 

Terapeak. >> Terapeak Product Research - eBay Seller Hub

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the opinions.

I definitely will not sell it on eBay because the buyer, upon realizing what the German flag is, can turn me in for violating eBay policy.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the Terapeak.  No idea it existed given the SOLD feature.

As far as that price, it was a single big auction.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@tomatbay wrote:

I am getting the number listed from ebay search. Photo attached and the number sold from Terapeak. 1 sold last year, they undercharged the shipping and I thus ran the fee calculator to see what they actually cleared which was $3.25. Yes it was an auction listing, not sure why that mattered.flags.png

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

As listed as a book of world flags it should be ok.  Don't show any of the " problem " flags however.  

Deutschland uber alles    should be avoided.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

IMO anything which can be construed by some sensitive ignoramus as violating the policy posted by @solidguitar1961 can be reported to Ebay, probably will be reported to Ebay and probably be taken down by Ebay whether it glorifies or not.

Ebay is going to over-enforce the policy not risk under-enforcing.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Good Grief, I'm an idiot - I found the Terapeak and didn't look to see if I could expand the time range.  Wow!  THREE YEAR HISTORY AVAILABLE!  This is huge!  At least an hour of my limited life remaining will be wasted this evening playing with this one!

Again, even so more thank you so much LOL

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Changing mind.  Since seeing a number have sold, I may put on eBay.  

My objective is to find a home for it.  It's 1942 and deserves to survive.  Might throw it on CL for a local sale.

NOTE:  have to again see how to sell eBay Local Pickup only with cash payment.  It's irritating that you have to a "word dance" to get around the "have to take Paypal" thing.  And then there is the now you do something with your cell phone when you pick it up....   Way, way too complicated....

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Should be fine, we've sold items that included swastika's before, as long as they were historical information and not glorifying it. Just don't put it in the pictures if you can avoid it. The bots aren't very smart.

Just don't sell it in Germany...

No need to do Local Pickup only, but if you do, don't even attempt to try to take PayPal or Cash only.  You have to accept all of eBay's payment options per policy.  The thing you do on your phone is just enter or scan a code, which is for your benefit as much as the buyer, it protects you from incorrect Item Not Received claims.  It's simple too, if you have signed into the app.  No reason to stress about that part.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply