cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay monitoring emails & suggesting I wasn't truthful with a buyer

I'm selling some sports trading cards that my ex- left behind over 20 years ago. I haven't collected cards since 1996, so I'm rusty on how some sets were sold in Series I & II. 

I misidentified a complete Series I set as a complete set.  Buyer notified me via "my messages" and I sent a message, saying, "Sorry, shows my lack of knowledge of basketball series 1 & 2. How much do you want as a refund?"

Ebay monitor sent buyer a message, saying, "I think this guy is not truthful" with the transcript of the two messages above!

I realize they want to avoid fraud & deception, but I have 100% positive feedback, & have been selling off & on since 2000.  Has anyone else had a similar experience? I've double checked my current listings to make sure a incomplete set is clearly marked, but I really didn't know that there was 2 series to the set I sent this buyer. 

I offered him half of the purchase price if he wanted to keep the cards, but he suggested he was going to return them for a refund. Shipping them back will cost him more than half of his $10 purchase.

Thanks for letting me vent. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Ebay monitoring emails & suggesting I wasn't truthful with a buyer

@selumom- I agree with @crazystuff4sale ,  I think it is the buyer saying he thinks you are "not truthful"

IF the items cost was $10, just refund it and get this over.

Sending a shipping label and paying for shipping and going back and forth is not productive. Especially since you have admitted you made a mistake.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

When he returns the cards, I will refund his money. 

My issue was the email that appeared to be from eBay, but the group seems to believe that the buyer or chatGPT wrote that response.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for your responses. I sent him a message trying to explain how he starts the return process. 

I don't use this forum often.  Is there a way to close comments or do I delete the thread?  

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Actually just stop responding.

These threads are often useful to others with similar questions who are less willing to ask.

Even though the only stupid questions are the ones that were not asked.

The discussion may wander on for a while. Don't concern yourself unless you are still interested.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@selumom wrote:

My issue was the email that appeared to be from eBay, but the group seems to believe that the buyer or chatGPT wrote that response.

There's no ChatGPT involvement here. After looking at those screenshots, what I think happened is that your buyer thought he was forwarding your latest email to someone else (possibly someone else who had been looking at your listings) but instead accidentally sent it back to you instead. It might also have been a reply from someone else addressed to him, but landing in your messages instead, but I think there would have been an additional set of message headers for that which I do not see in those screenshots.

In any event, there is no concept of an "eBay monitor" who personally reviews messages between users. They do have automated screening that looks out for certain language or contact info that could signal a looming scam or off-eBay transaction, but nothing human that looks at messages to call someone a liar.

If the buyer has filed a Not As Described dispute (the "snad" that you were asking about earlier, originally an acronym for Significantly Not As Described), then you will need to respond to it before the deadline, either to refund the buyer and let him keep the merchandise, or to request that he ship the items back before you will refund, in which case a Return label can be sent to him via eBay.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi,  Sorry about your situation. 

If your buyer paid for each order separately, they can return the one that is messed up. 

You will have to pay the return postage.  

Good customer service. 

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 21 of 21
latest reply