cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is now only showing your promoted listings, rather than organic results

My sales used to be 1 out of 10, from promoted listings. Now? Now it's 9 out of 10. I did promoted listed to get an extra boost in sales, and was willing to pay a little extra. Now ebay decided that they want all your money, and will no longer show your organic results, if you have promoted listings. Even if the search only has TWO results, both of which being yours, they STILL will only show promoted listings. Because, as we all know, I totally want to pay extra, to be shown first, ahead of, MYSELF. This is just straight up theft. We already pay ebay money to show our listings. Promoted is supposed to help, and not completely replace, the listings ebay is ALREADY supposed to be showing for us.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Ebay is now only showing your promoted listings, rather than organic results

@leadgard9 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Ok. I didn't know if you knew that if the buyer clicks on the promoted listing first, then buys the organic listing, you pay the promoted seller fvf's. 

Not trying to argue with you. I'm just giving my take on promoted listings, that they are worthless. 

They weren't worthless for me. They helped me out. Just because it hasn't helped you, doesn't mean it's not good for other people.

I have no idea if they would help me because I've never promoted and I never will.

One thing is for sure--there is no way for a seller to measure whether the item would have sold anyway, without promotion. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Re: Ebay is now only showing your promoted listings, rather than organic results

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@leadgard9 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Ok. I didn't know if you knew that if the buyer clicks on the promoted listing first, then buys the organic listing, you pay the promoted seller fvf's. 

Not trying to argue with you. I'm just giving my take on promoted listings, that they are worthless. 

They weren't worthless for me. They helped me out. Just because it hasn't helped you, doesn't mean it's not good for other people.

I have no idea if they would help me because I've never promoted and I never will.

One thing is for sure--there is no way for a seller to measure whether the item would have sold anyway, without promotion. 

and yet you feel absolutely sure, that your point that it's worthless is valid, despite your claim that there is no way for a seller to measure. Yet, I'm wrong, because there is no way for a seller to measure..... So how is it that YOU know it's worthless, but I'M now allowed to believe it's not worthless?

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@leadgard9 wrote:

and yet, you feel absolutely sure, that your point, that it's worthless, is valid, despite your claim that there is no way for a seller to measure. Yet, I'm wrong, because there is no way for a seller to measure..... So how is it that YOU know it's worthless, but I'M now allowed to believe it's not worthless?

I think you may be interpreting my tone incorrectly. I am not against what you personally decide whether to promote, rather just stated that I do not and am not convinced it would benefit me. I have not said you are "wrong". Whatever you decide is best for you, go for it. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@leadgard9 wrote:

and yet, you feel absolutely sure, that your point, that it's worthless, is valid, despite your claim that there is no way for a seller to measure. Yet, I'm wrong, because there is no way for a seller to measure..... So how is it that YOU know it's worthless, but I'M now allowed to believe it's not worthless?

I think you may be interpreting my tone incorrectly. I am not against what you personally decide whether to promote, rather just stated that I do not and am not convinced it would benefit me. I have not said you are "wrong". Whatever you decide is best for you, go for it. 

tones might be misinterpreted, but there isn't really another interpretation of what you said. I mean lol lets be honest here. If you're saying they are worthless, and I have no way of being able to decide if it's actually not worthless, by definition you are saying I'm wrong. No?

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@leadgard9 wrote:

tones might be misinterpreted, but there isn't really another interpretation of what you said. I mean lol lets be honest here. If you're saying they are worthless, and I have no way of being able to decide if it's actually not worthless, by definition you are saying I'm wrong. No?

No, I'm not saying that. I said what I meant, and meant what I said. Only you have used the word "wrong", not me. Totally honest here. Do whatever you think is best for your business. 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@leadgard9 wrote:

No, I'm not saying that. I said what I meant, and meant what I said. Only you have used the word "wrong", not me. Totally honest here. Do whatever you think is best for your business. 

Again, you said promoted listings are worthless, after I said they aren't, and then told me there is no way for me to be able to actually judge otherwise. How are you NOT saying I'm wrong..... You said what you said, but are now telling me I'm wrong about what you meant... Then what DID You mean?

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

It's true there is no way for you or me to measure whether an item would have sold regardless if there had been no promotion.

What you deduct from that fact is up to you. 

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@leadgard9 wrote:

And to add one last point. While my items might be niche, my category is NOT. Unless the buyer is very detailed in their search, they will be flooded with worthless Chinese items, and those sellers rarely use promoted listing. So yes, that alone justifies promoted listings, just to get me above all the worthless search results ebay populates for my potential buyers. I doubt that's an issue you have to deal with, so I can see why you're not able to understand the worth of this.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Quite frankly, I think their 'policy' can be open to various interpretations:

"Starting in September 2019, we’ll no longer show duplicate promoted and non-promoted listings on the search results page. If you are using Promoted Listings, only one of your listings, either promoted or non-promoted will appear in a given set of search results, giving buyers a cleaner, more relevant search experience. We will select which listing to display, based on factors such as listing quality, relevancy to the buyer’s search, and ad rate."

I think the most telling part is the last 3 words.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

It's true there is no way for you or me to measure whether an item would have sold regardless if there had been no promotion.

What you deduct from that fact is up to you. 

lol keep dancing around this. I didn't need to deduce anything from what you said. You said it's worthless. Period. So clearly, YOU are some how able to deduce from that fact, despite not being able to measure, that there is no worth to it.  Why are you so against saying you told me I'm wrong? I really don't understand where that reluctance is coming form.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Quite frankly, I think their 'policy' can be open to various interpretations:

"Starting in September 2019, we’ll no longer show duplicate promoted and non-promoted listings on the search results page. If you are using Promoted Listings, only one of your listings, either promoted or non-promoted will appear in a given set of search results, giving buyers a cleaner, more relevant search experience. We will select which listing to display, based on factors such as listing quality, relevancy to the buyer’s search, and ad rate."

I think the most telling part is the last 3 words.

Yep. And their claim that either promoted or non will appear, is just silly. They will show your promoted listings, almost every time. Why wouldn't they? It's more money for them.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

The Chinese are not an issue I have to deal with usually. They do like to sneak "vintage style" into their titles in order to falsely gain views, miscategorize, and any other way they can think up. Ebay also lets Wayfair post new items in the antique categories by the tens of thousands. 

I don't lack understanding of the issue. I simply hold a different viewpoint for my business. 

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@leadgard9 wrote:

lol keep dancing around this. I didn't need to deduce anything from what you said. You said it's worthless. Period. So clearly, YOU are some how able to deduce from that fact, despite not being able to measure, that there is no worth to it.  Why are you so against saying you told me I'm wrong? I really don't understand where that reluctance is coming form.

I believe it is worthless. You believe differently. Never did I use the word "wrong" only you used it, and you won't be putting words into my mouth.

I can see you like to argue when not provoked to do so. Carry on. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Sorry but you CHOSE to play this rigged game. I and many others chose not to!

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Ok, I need to jump in on this conversation.  I sell electronics for the most part where there is alot of competition for the same item.  I have done research on this using a PC doing ebay searches using key words on my items (most are promoted at 1%).   The search results show my items either organic or sponsored and as we know only one comes up in any given search.  The notion that your organic listing comes up in mobile only and not PC is simply untrue.   I have at least two dozen searches for various items in my niche to back that statement up.  To make an argument that it most if not all listings that come up are sponsored listings on the basis that ebay is trying to take our money is simply not true and misleading.   

Instead of arguing with each other, lets take that same energy and try to figure this out collectively since Ebay (after many phone calls myself) is not giving us all of the information and I suspect their reps don't completely know either since they give different information each time.  

Here are some questions that I still have that maybe we can collectively get to the bottom of...

1) How are ebay buyers using ad blockers really affecting our listings from showing up in search?  

2) I have seen organic listings come up ranking higher on page one that some sponsored listings.  How is this possible if sponsored listings are supposed to come up first in search?

3) What really determines if my organic listing is to be used vs a promoted listing?  

Any information you guys can share to help crack these riddles would benefit all of us.

Jon

Message 30 of 31
latest reply