cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay gone Insane!!! Bans Dr Suess

Ebay has gone insane and we need to hold them accountable!!!  Enough is Enough!!!!  I suggest that every seller not to boycott Ebay but include a message of Disscust in every listing informing our customers of this reprehensible Action that Ebay has taken  Then if Ebay does not retract its lunatic Policies we must then all who feel the way I do Stop using Ebay!!!!

Very Long time seller

jpbil

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ebay gone Insane!!! Bans Dr Suess

What a great newspaper headline.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Actually, I don't believe eBay has gone insane. They are just responding to the actions of the Dr. Seuss organization. Not all Dr. Seuss works are being banned by eBay, only those 5 or 6 books that the Seuss company itself has deemed inappropriate due to hurtful content, and they will not publish these in the future.

Yes, eBay's actions are costing sellers money. I felt irritated as well when eBay banned the selling of opened perfume bottles. That was quite lucrative for me and i hated losing that income. However....

There are other platforms to sell such items on. The sky is not falling.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I just posted my disgust with eBay in becoming just another “woke” idiotic company. I have been a member for years, but I will drop them if needed. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Here's a really good eBay help page that will help you close your account:

Closing your account and deleting your data 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

When no one draws a line in the sand ...

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I love Dr Suess...I do not like (gosh how to say gently) racism.  He was a product of his time, who grew and mellowed over the years.  The publishing company is doing the right thing.  Though I do believe they should have worked with him to re-do the pages and illustrations that were hurtful.

If anyone wants to pursue the 'cancel culture' rhetoric further...lets look at 'ok boomer'.  Or not.

And speaking of authors who should be looked at how about Albert Payson Terhune, famous for the Lad a Dog books.  I loved him as a child but found him incredibly offensive when reread as an adult.  One line was "That's mighty white of you."  Ouch.

Then there was Frances Parkinson Keyes, once America's favorite writer...yikes.

The library in the little town I live in has cookbooks from the forties with the N word....is it Cancel Culture to want them to be removed?  Do we really want ourselves and our children to read that stuff.  This is 2021, not 1955.  Right?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

No your wrong.. You make it sound as if eBay was instructed by the current publisher. The fact is the Dr. Seuss family and publisher have been attacked by the same type of Mobs we have here. Your clearly muddying the waters while taking part in this insane Book Burning.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

"No your wrong.. You make it sound as if eBay was instructed by the current publisher. The fact is the Dr. Seuss family and publisher have been attacked by the same type of Mobs we have here. Your clearly muddying the waters while taking part in this insane Book Burning."

Wrong? Not at all. Different? Yes.

I did not infer that eBay is taking instruction from anyone, including Seuss.  What i am saying is this is their platform and they do as they wish, and always have. I can adapt to it or move on. 

Ebay is not a government entity, or political leader, or a member of any official authority. It is a marketplace and we are here at their consent. Selling on eBay is not a political right that everyone is entitled to. Therefore I don't believe we can call their decision to remove material off their platform as some kind of impediment to our rights as citizens.

I am hardly a book burner simply because i have an opinion that may not line up with others’ thinking.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

All eBay wants is limited censorship to keep them from getting eaten by the Mob. Just what's politically expedient at the time, nothing more. Meanwhile letting the real threats roam freely: Louis Farrakhan, Mein Kanpf, Unabomber’s Manifesto, and so many more.

Yes eBay caved, scared they would be eaten by their own kind. Shameful

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

The problem is they are not responding to The Seuss Organization.  These books have been around for ages and read by Adults of all races to their Children.  So why now are they being demonized.  Now the Seuss Organization has every right to stop reprinting these books for whatever reason they may think they have. but for Ebay to esentially ban these books while they allow all sorts of books that offend certain people to be sold is proof in my opinion that they are caving into the Crazyness that has infected our World!!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

They can't very well work with  Dr Seuss to change his books because he died in 1991.  And as for this not being 1955 The books written then reflected the reality and culture of the time.  Its History!!  You can't Change history by banning it!!!  So Do you not go to the movies or watch tv?  Are they going to ban The movies that are filled with every kind of insenceability know to the human race.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You are right in that Ebay is not Government, but you cannot say they are not political, as this idea of canceling history is definitely political. and as a major Market Place Ebay is definitely a Leader.  You may not consider yourself a book burner but if you stand by the fire to keep warm It is impossible to say if you were one of the burners!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

quin-1988
Adventurer

I have now decided to boycott Ebay. I refuse to purchase anything from a totalitarian liberal fascist Web site controlled by radical Democrat subhuman vermin. I hope Ebay headquarters get stormed like what happened to the Capitol. The Marxists censoring and destroying American culture need to be taught a lesson...

Message 14 of 14
latest reply