cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay cracking down on variation listings

Looks like Ebay is cracking down on variation listings and I'm hoping that includes sellers who have variation listings that include unrelated or inexpensive accessories added in the mix to get more click thrus - ex: shoe laces mixed in with sneakers thus deceiving buyers when they see a price of $1.99 - $49.99 and the only item on the drop down menu for $1.99 is the shoe laces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kQJl0LM_aU

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Variation listings have made the site almost unshoppable in many categories, so any move to clamp down is good news.

I wonder if the crack down will apply to off shore sellers who in my experience are by far the worst offenders? 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

As noted in the video, games with similar titles are usually completely different games.  Actual Variations on a game would mean the same game for different platforms. Why does customer support just not "get it" so often?

I've also seen a post from a seller whose Variations listing was blocked because there was too much difference between the price of the lowest-price item and the highest price.  In this seller's case, the strategy was OK because it was different-size packages/quantities of the identical item.  

You can see examples of this type of variation in the listings for eBay's official packaging seller, where they offer a specific envelope in quantities of 100, 200 or 400, and of course the price for 400 is more than 3 times the price for just 100.  

Somehow eBay has to differentiate between legit big differences versus those that are just keyword spamming. But if they just set a ratio, the scammers will figure out what it is, and set up their imaginary item's price accordingly. So maybe this seller's experience was just some sort of test.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply