cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay charging 20+% fees for sales?

I was recently running some numbers on my latest sales on Ebay, and I realized that as of January 2024 I'm consistently being charged ~20% fees for every item I sell.

I deducted the standard $0.30 per sale from the transactions and ran a percentage off of the remainder, and found I'm consistently being charged 19.25% for every transaction. 

Example item sale:

- Item Price: $28.75

- Sales Tax: $2.37

- Fee: $6.29

That brings the fee to 19.248% ((6.29-0.30) / (28.75 + 2.37)

What is the reason for being charged 19.25% all of the sudden? Has Ebay updated their rates?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Ebay charging 20+% fees for sales?

You may want to update your Per Transaction fee.  Not a big difference, but it is now 40 cents.

Thanks I will do that just have to figure out based on each transaction whether it is $.30 or $.40. EBay couldn't have just made it a standard $.40. 🙂

Message 61 of 67
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

You may want to update your Per Transaction fee.  Not a big difference, but it is now 40 cents.

Thanks I will do that just have to figure out based on each transaction whether it is $.30 or $.40. EBay couldn't have just made it a standard $.40. 🙂

Final value fees

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a per order fee. For orders $10.00 or less the per order fee is $0.30, for orders over $10.00 the per order fee is $0.40.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 67
latest reply

LOL.  They’re going to become 0% for me soon too.   Not just because of a general eBay sales slowdown relative to all the other platforms, but because e-commerce sellers’ futures depend on leaving sites that pay monkeys tens of million of dollars to “go through the motions of management” so they can babysit a seriously bloated stock price.

Message 63 of 67
latest reply

If you're unable to determine the reason for the fee increase or suspect an error, reach out to eBay's seller support for assistance. They can provide clarification on fee calculations and address any concerns you may have.

By thoroughly analyzing your eBay fees and understanding the factors influencing them, you can gain insights into the reasons behind the observed increase in fees and take appropriate actions to optimize your selling strategy.

Message 64 of 67
latest reply

When eBay explains their final value fee in several different ways, they specify that the FVF, 13.25% in most categories, is calculated basically on the item cost, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if applicable.

If you were charged more than 13.25%, can you return and show us the actual figures?

The item price was $50, the shipping fee was _____, and the state sales tax was ______.  

Message 65 of 67
latest reply

When eBay explains their final value fee in several different ways, they specify that the FVF, 13.25% in most categories, is calculated basically on the item cost, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if applicable.

If you were charged more than 13.25%, can you return and show us the actual figures?

The item price was $50, the shipping fee was _____, and the state sales tax was ______.  

And that one other important piece what they actually paid for the shipping label. 

Message 66 of 67
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

You are on the nose.  I find the easiest way to explain what the FVF is charged on is whatever TOTAL amount the buyer pays without exception.

I don't understand why some that use promoted listings hold against Ebay the amount they pay in FVFs, when they are the ones that have voluntarily decided what percentage of the sale they are willing to pay in addition to normal FVFs.  Somehow this decision that they made on their own somehow becomes a fault of Ebay.  That doesn't make sense to me.

And then there are some sellers, that for whatever reason they have consider the cost of shipping is also a fee charged by Ebay as they lump this cost into saying how much they paid Ebay for the sale.  Never even considering that the money paid for the carrier is given to the carrier and that the buyer paid the seller for the carrier costs.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 67 of 67
latest reply