cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay cancelled my transaction

Last night, I sold an item via auction.  The buyer e-mailed to say that she would pay me the next day (today).

She paid this morning, and my dashboard displayed the "PAID--SHIP NOW" notification.  I also received verification of payment via Paypal (and I checked my account independently to confirm).

Shortly afterward, I received an email from Ebay customer support (with the title "Suspicious buyer for item") saying that they had cancelled the transaction because the buyer was no longer registered on Ebay.  The email said not to refund the buyer without conferring with them.

So I called and spoke to an Ebay rep to inquire further.  This is not a knock on foreign speakers of English, but frankly, I had difficulty understanding what either she or her supervisor were saying.  I gathered that they were advising me not to do anything, that the transaction may just be under review, or possibly the buyer would request the refund through Ebay or Paypal, but if that was what they were saying it was communicated with great difficulty.

Further, from the e-mail that they sent, they indicated that my FVF would NOT be refunded.  So they're the ones who cancel the transaction, but I still have to pay the fee.  

Anyway, has anyone ever encountered this situation?  I have been selling here for over 20 years and this is the first time this has happened to me.  It was a low-value item, so I doubt this was part of a scam, but I guess you never know.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes we have had this same thing happen and we also read of it here in the forum on a regular basis.  I would do nothing until eBay asks you to.  The buyer will not be able to contact you through eBay since they are not registered here any longer.  They could open a INR case in paypal at which you contact eBay and or paypal at that time per the directions you were given.

Good Luck Selling1

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi, I believe the reason you do not get a Final Value fee reimbursement at this time is because no refund took place. Therefore you still have the funds for the sale, and thus owe the FVF as usual.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Well.... you can’t keep the money AND the item.

Go ahead and send item to the PayPal address of record, or refund via PayPal.

I’ve actually done the former with no issues. My buyer was no longer registered on EBay, but their money and  PayPal account was still good.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Had this happen to me too recently.  But mine is even crazier...

4/8/19 Sold an item Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required.  Buyer payed immediately, I sent it and it was received.  No problems, nothing strange.

5/6/19 Ebay sent a "Suspicious buyer for item" message to me stating that they had to cancel the winning bid on my "auction" for this buyer since they were not a registered user anymore.  The message stated to not send the item to the buyer and that the transaction had been deleted.  They also stated that I should consider listing my items as Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required (um, that's how I list all my items including this one - I NEVER do auctions).

I was immediately paid via Paypal by this buyer for this item on 4/8/19 (Buy It Now with IPR) and the funds for this payment are still there in my Paypal and are fine as of today 5/10/19.  The transaction has been deleted from my solds list and has been deleted from Ebay entirely.  Crazy stuff happening these days!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

But if the PP account was hacked, or if it was using a stolen credit card....

The seller could be out the item and the money.

Personally, I'd err on the side of caution.

Do not ship.  Hold on to the refund for a few days, but don't take it out of your PP account.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I have no intention of keeping the money, so I'd rather refund.  But I don't want to run afoul of ebay.  I can't help but think someone screwed up somewhere . . . 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

EBay is rather irrelevant now - they’ve banned the user and don’t own PayPal anymore.

your only issue at this point is the PayPal user agreement - which protects you when you ship to the address on record, and does not issue a demerit if you cancel/refund.

Ship or refund. What’s to wait on?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I've had something similar happen as well but since I had mailed the package a week or two before that I didn't worry about it and in the end, nothing happened. I kept my money, the buyer got their package. That happened a while ago so I'm not certain but it seems to me that when I looked at the buyer's ID, they were still  a registered user, not naru'd as ebay had said.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Arrrrgh. Don't do that! The reason why eBay canceled the transaction was because someone using a hacked account bought the item. Don't ship anything  and don't refund nothing. As eBay says, do nothing. 

@this*old*attic wrote:

Well.... you can’t keep the money AND the item.

Go ahead and send item to the PayPal address of record, or refund via PayPal.

I’ve actually done the former with no issues. My buyer was no longer registered on EBay, but their money and  PayPal account was still good.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply