cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay admits recent changes are so your products/listings don't get found/viewed.

We have been questioning ebay recently about the lack of listings products getting found, or seen anymore at all, etc. Here's what they stated today: 

The drop in views is the experience a lot of sellers because eBay recently updated the technology in May behind how page views are counted to filter out of various types of automated traffic on listings.

We've implemented new technology that provides improved non-human/bot traffic filtering. Since bot traffic on the Internet is huge, ongoing page view counts will likely decrease.

If the above is true, most of us can not survive here with that. Whoever is making these changes is ruining it for sellers and ebay will not survive either very long. Whatever they did last month is just terrible and should have everyone here pretty upset. 
Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Ebay admits recent changes are so your products/listings don't get found/viewed.

I think it may be a ploy to get everyone to start using promoted listings

Message 16 of 66
latest reply

I agree ! I have been selling on Ebay since 1999 and haven't sold anything in 2 months because NO ONE can see my listings. Them money -hungry jerks have struck again. They get a cut on shipping ( which I think is totally illegal ) they charge 13 percent and now they are forcing us to use the promotion process which is just another way to take our money. I will NOT be forced to promote any of my items now or in the furure. Bring back the bots, PLEASE !!!

Message 17 of 66
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many changes have been made with improvements to increase sales! This is NOT one of them and should be reviewed again. Listings need views for all members!  The  results are not acceptable. Thank you.

Message 18 of 66
latest reply

Let's not forget the USPS price increases coming in early July....

Message 19 of 66
latest reply

Ah...

I miss Emily Litella.

Message 20 of 66
latest reply

@mac19521 wrote:

I agree ! I have been selling on Ebay since 1999 and haven't sold anything in 2 months because NO ONE can see my listings. Them money -hungry jerks have struck again. They get a cut on shipping ( which I think is totally illegal ) they charge 13 percent and now they are forcing us to use the promotion process which is just another way to take our money. I will NOT be forced to promote any of my items now or in the furure. Bring back the bots, PLEASE !!!

I promise you the bots are still here.  They have NOT gone away.  

Also, not illegal to charge fees on shipping. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 21 of 66
latest reply

@mac19521 wrote:

I haven't sold anything in 2 months because NO ONE can see my listings. 

@mac19521 

Please give us an item you say no one can see so we can agree to YOUR facts, or we can set you straight and show you it is untrue.

Message 22 of 66
latest reply

That idea might actually have some merit.

Message 23 of 66
latest reply

A cut on shipping is "illegal"? That's funny.

Message 24 of 66
latest reply

What if eBay added 1000 phony views (which is what bot views are) to each of your items. Do you really think you'd get more sales? Bots don't buy, my friend.

Message 25 of 66
latest reply

@wrong66 wrote:

What if eBay added 1000 phony views (which is what bot views are) to each of your items. Do you really think you'd get more sales? Bots don't buy, my friend.

From my experience they would get LESS sales. Buyers who see tons of views and no sales usually hit the back button.

Message 26 of 66
latest reply

How can some sellers be so clueless?

The bot views have NOTHING to do with sales.

Let me see if I might be able to explain it.

BEFORE THE CHANGE:

Bots looked at your item 100 times.

Human beings looked at your items 10 times.

Ebay would report 110 views.

AFTER THE CHANGE:

Bots looked at your item 100 times.

Human beings looked at your item 10 times.

Ebay now reports 10 views.

HOW IN THE WORD WILL THAT AFFECT SALES?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 27 of 66
latest reply

@norskmediashop wrote:
Whoever is making these changes is ruining it for sellers and ebay will not survive either very long.

Ebay would do just fine if they showed buyers what they are looking for and not what Ebay thinks they should be looking at.

Have a great day
Message 28 of 66
latest reply

I'm not going to make any assumptions or allegations as to what eBay's intentions are, but I do find it curious that they would change how views are counted and shortly thereafter raise the standard promoted listing rate from 1% to 2%.

Message 29 of 66
latest reply

That thought crossed my mind, as well. I'll admit I know little about PL and I have no intentions at this time of using them. I personally think it's just another major money grab. I also wonder if it's easier for eBay to just decrease visibility for those who don't use them, rather than to increase visibility for those who do. Just a thought and I'm likely way off base, but you never know with eBay.

Message 30 of 66
latest reply