cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Sellers and Internet Sales Tax

I am planning on winding down my Ebay store this Fall. Just found out that by October there will be 21 states in the Union paying online sales tax. That is going to kill online sales. Also by 2020 all the states in the union will charge internet sales tax. Those good ole days of no internet sales tax are over. Paypal and Ebay are already separate,but Ebay will be setting up separate accounts for Sellers and their income tax. Just not something I want to get into. Hope everyone is getting ready for the big change coming. Info was from Ebay. cry

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Ebay Sellers and Internet Sales Tax

they act like they're "winning" by stealing from the government.

The are actually stealing from other taxpayers who have to make up for the shortfall.

The OP is basically saying "I don't pay taxes, I let other people pay them for me" and they are saying this directly to the "other people".

Message 76 of 87
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

they act like they're "winning" by stealing from the government.

The are actually stealing from other taxpayers who have to make up for the shortfall.

The OP is basically saying "I don't pay taxes, I let other people pay them for me" and they are saying this directly to the "other people".

And they likely use the public roads we pay for and many other things that the people that actually pay their taxes pay for.

This is not to say that most of us take every single deduction we can find.  I know I look for every single itty bitty thing I can deduct so that I can reduce my taxes, but I have ALWAYS paid my taxes on my income.  It matters not to me if a 1099 was generated by some company in support of what I earned through that site.  The 1099's for internet sales has only been around the last handful of years.  I've been selling on multiple sites for a couple decades now.  And my sales from ALL sources has always been represented / reported on my federal tax returns.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 77 of 87
latest reply

I appreciate your kinds words. At least your not bashing and just throwing stuff out there. I mean the things is lets be honest here. HARDLY ANYONE ON EBAY PAYS TAXES. I mean we can go all day and jump out and say this and that,but probably only about 30% of Sellers at the most on Ebay pay taxes. I would bet anyone a $100 on that one. It is not my business though. I don't care. I mean you gotta do what you gotta do. It is tough out there. The thing is you only pay taxes on your PROFIT anyway not on YOUR what you SELL. Then you have to subtract all your expenses. There is alot you can subtract also. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!
Message 78 of 87
latest reply

IRS can only go back 3 years. 

Message 79 of 87
latest reply

You only pay taxes on profit. My profit is about zero after my expenses. 

Message 80 of 87
latest reply

@faithfashionfriends wrote:
I appreciate your kinds words. At least your not bashing and just throwing stuff out there. I mean the things is lets be honest here. HARDLY ANYONE ON EBAY PAYS TAXES. I mean we can go all day and jump out and say this and that,but probably only about 30% of Sellers at the most on Ebay pay taxes. I would bet anyone a $100 on that one. It is not my business though. I don't care. I mean you gotta do what you gotta do. It is tough out there. The thing is you only pay taxes on your PROFIT anyway not on YOUR what you SELL. Then you have to subtract all your expenses. There is alot you can subtract also. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!

As I've said, I have always, from the day I started selling on the internet, claimed my income on my Federal Income Taxes every year.  I of course take deductions for what I can.  That is normal for any business, big or small.  

Because other people may choose to take the risk to evade paying taxes is NO defense for others.  I have no idea what percentage of sellers claim their sales here on their income tax reports nor do you.  Your guess may be accurate and it may not be.  You nor I have any way of knowing that.  I suppose it can be used as a way to justify to yourself why you don't claim the income.  But like I say, if you get caught it won't be a defense that will get you very far.

Message 81 of 87
latest reply

Not exactly.

Generally, the IRS can include returns filed within the last three years in an audit. If we identify a substantial error, we may add additional years. 

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/irs-audits

Message 82 of 87
latest reply

You only pay taxes on profit. My profit is about zero after my expenses. 

Then you shouldn't be fighting claiming your income on your yearly taxes.  Seems like a no brainer to me.  Why risk penalties if there is no need to risk it.  

Message 83 of 87
latest reply

Yes,Sales are finally picking up again after a terrible June sales month. I was down 39% from the year before. I was worried I was going to have to shut it down. WOW.
Message 84 of 87
latest reply

Those 3 states you have mentioned will have state sales tax by 2020 I promise you. Check with your local Congressman to find out when it will happen. 22 states are having it in two more months. Do you really think only 3 states are going to hold out?? LOL. I don't think so. Money is Money and the government is greedy.
Message 85 of 87
latest reply

You CHOOSE to pay sales tax. I'm not paying and never have. Not going to pay it either. 

Interesting!  Since states that charge their residents sales tax have usually also had a use tax statute on the books to cover items purchased outside the state and shipped into it.  Until the advent of online shopping this primarily affected mail order and catalog shopping.  The popularity of buying online has greatly increased these types of use tax liabilities.

However, the buyer has always been responsible for paying the use tax to his state if it wasn't collected by the seller.  It appears that you are saying that you never paid the taxes that you owed on such purchases.  You were not alone and it was the difficulty in getting their residents to pay these taxes that went a long way in states enacting Marketplace Facilitator laws, once the Supreme Court ruled that it was constitutional for them to do so.  While these laws do not levy any additional taxes, they do require that sites like eBay collect them, thus insuring that the state receives more of the money owed to them by their residents.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 86 of 87
latest reply

They can go back twice that long if they find you have not been reporting income correctly.

Message 87 of 87
latest reply