cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SUpplies now a real joke

So on top of having to pay tax for the supplies even if the total is under the coupon total amount they do not ACCEPT PAYPAL ! Are you kidding me ?

Message 1 of 95
latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

@mam98031 wrote:

@computeraidllc wrote:
Usually eBay does as well but with the new managed payments system you end up committing to pay then see the final price afterwards
but before entering in payment information. The problem is the buyer is now stuck having to pay because if they don't they get a nonpayment strike on there account. This can cause an issue because of sale tax isn't on the original page showing before committing to pay. It only shows the shipping and price of item combined. eBay needs to fix this for it new managed payments as this will surely get them in trouble with most states because the buyer has to know the sales tax before being stuck paying for it.

Ebay usually does what as well?  

Are you saying that ebay doesn't allow buyers to see an invoice before paying.  Lets get some clarification on that to be sure as the Managed Payment program is relatively new and I'm certain there are things I'm not aware of since I'm not in the program.  

So you are saying that in Managed payments the buyer is not allowed to see the total price of their purchase until after they pay?!?

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

Hi @mam98031 -  thanks for the tag!

Sales tax should be displayed in the shopping cart before committing to purchase any items, and the Managed Payments process doesn't impact that at all. 

I'll take a look at the reports of not seeing the states in which sales tax is charged, and get that submitted for review. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 61 of 95
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@computeraidllc wrote:
Usually eBay does as well but with the new managed payments system you end up committing to pay then see the final price afterwards
but before entering in payment information. The problem is the buyer is now stuck having to pay because if they don't they get a nonpayment strike on there account. This can cause an issue because of sale tax isn't on the original page showing before committing to pay. It only shows the shipping and price of item combined. eBay needs to fix this for it new managed payments as this will surely get them in trouble with most states because the buyer has to know the sales tax before being stuck paying for it.

Ebay usually does what as well?  

Are you saying that ebay doesn't allow buyers to see an invoice before paying.  Lets get some clarification on that to be sure as the Managed Payment program is relatively new and I'm certain there are things I'm not aware of since I'm not in the program.  

So you are saying that in Managed payments the buyer is not allowed to see the total price of their purchase until after they pay?!?

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

Hi @mam98031 -  thanks for the tag!

Sales tax should be displayed in the shopping cart before committing to purchase any items, and the Managed Payments process doesn't impact that at all. 

I'll take a look at the reports of not seeing the states in which sales tax is charged, and get that submitted for review. Thanks!

Perfect, thank you.  I'm sure this will help.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 95
latest reply

I am not sure, but I just bought an item, and taxes were added right before you clicked on Paypal to pay for it. So, you can see how much in taxes you are going to pay. 

latest reply

With the new managed payments it does not show sales tax until you have committed to pay.  You have to commit to pay before entering payment information, meaning if you don't pay you will get a non-payment strike.

When you get the first screen it says you are committing to pay for this item. It tells you the amount you are committing to with no tax. When you go to the next screen where you enter in payment information then it shows you tax.  It is a legal issue because the buyer doesn't know they are paying sales tax. Also when you get past the first screen you have to pay or you get a strike for non-payment. The old payment system would take you to the second screen with tax showing before committing. This must be corrected.

Also for whatever reason, this sellers listings is collecting tax for shipments to New York but in the listing it only shows Minnesota, Washington and Iowa. So the buyer doesn't even know they will be paying sales tax. This is a must fix.

Message 64 of 95
latest reply

Yes. It only shows the item price first with shipping and without tax. You then have to commit to paying meaning you must pay. You click the commit button and it will take you to the old ebay checkout screen to enter payment information and then it shows tax, if applicable. The problem is the buyer doesn't know the actual amount until they get to screen two. Screen one only shows the amount of the item plus shipping that you are committing to pay for. It isn't showing sales tax. If you choose not to enter payment information in you can get a strike for non-payment.

The old checkout system didn't do this. It would take you to screen two with the payment information meaning if you wanted to back out you could without getting a non-payment strike.

Message 65 of 95
latest reply

The problem isn't with using the cart but the Buy It Now. With the new managed payments it makes buyer commit to pay before seeing sales tax so you cannot back out without ether getting the seller to cancel the sale or take a strike on your account.
Message 66 of 95
latest reply

Yes because you are using the old system not the new managed payments system.
Message 67 of 95
latest reply

I am showing you what you get. One has the buy it now screen and one has the cart. The cart shows you tax before committing and the buy it now doesn't with the new managed payments. You don't know the actual total until after committing to buy. It will show you the final amount when you enter payment information in.

Message 68 of 95
latest reply

This is the checkout after the review and commit to buy. Problem is that you are now committed to paying whether you want to or not.

Message 69 of 95
latest reply

If you go thru the cart you can back out. Buy it now you cannot.
Message 70 of 95
latest reply

I recently went to use my coupon, and only AFTER clicking "commit to buy" did I find out that they no longer take Paypal.  I will not use a credit card ever on this site, so now I am stuck with an unpaid item in my cart with no visible way to back out of the purchase. This might be my first ever UPI in many years on eBay.

ymmv.

Message 71 of 95
latest reply

In the commit to buy screen it does say "Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express." You have to be careful now because any sellers in the new managed payments will show this. Also on the listing itself, at the top it does say the same thing.

If you act quickly you do have the chance to cancel the sale providing it is done in the 1st hour and the seller accepts it. Also you can message the seller to cancel the sale as well.

I had to do this because I wasn't expecting to pay sales tax and didn't have my bank card handy at the time. The coupon would have covered the price of the item. The listing didn't even give me sales tax for New York and the commit to pay screen didn't show this.
Message 72 of 95
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

This is the checkout after the review and commit to buy. Problem is that you are now committed to paying whether you want to or not.

For this particular seller you are showing checkout screens for, I believe they have IPR on their listings.  So you have not committed to purchasing the item until you submit payment.  The tax shows on the screen you provided which is BEFORE you purchase the item.  The purchase doesn't happen until you click on the Confirm and Pay button.

Message 73 of 95
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I am showing you what you get. One has the buy it now screen and one has the cart. The cart shows you tax before committing and the buy it now doesn't with the new managed payments. You don't know the actual total until after committing to buy. It will show you the final amount when you enter payment information in.

I see the difference here and this is a very good point.  Thank you for bringing this to the threads.

Message 74 of 95
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

I recently went to use my coupon, and only AFTER clicking "commit to buy" did I find out that they no longer take Paypal.  I will not use a credit card ever on this site, so now I am stuck with an unpaid item in my cart with no visible way to back out of the purchase. This might be my first ever UPI in many years on eBay.

ymmv.

So, you completely ignored the first section where you choose the payment method? Wondering whose fault that is...

Message 75 of 95
latest reply