cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY Does NOT Protect Seller

I had a ring I sold returned to me  and she did Not return the Ring Box I sent it in. Now she is using the ring box to sell a ring on her site. Ebay would do nothing about it even After I spoke to them and they told me the return was Incomplete and not to refund her money until I get the ring box back. Then EBAY went ahead and refunded her the money and she will not return the ring box and then to use it to sell on her site. It cannot get much worse than that. I am closing my account on EBAY in about a week. I made them Approx. $1400.00 in 6 weeks. Apparently that is not enough to help me, the seller. Very Poor of EBAY not to protect Sellers Rights.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: EBAY Does NOT Protect Seller

Last year two bible quotes from eBay administration each seller must to repeat quiet:

1. "At eBay, we are always looking for better ways to serve our members".

2. "eBay is built on trust, and we want our marketplace to be safe for both buyers and sellers"

amen

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

gemstogo wrote:

I had a ring I sold returned to me  and she did Not return the Ring Box I sent it in. Now she is using the ring box to sell a ring on her site. Ebay would do nothing about it even After I spoke to them and they told me the return was Incomplete and not to refund her money until I get the ring box back. Then EBAY went ahead and refunded her the money and she will not return the ring box and then to use it to sell on her site. It cannot get much worse than that. I am closing my account on EBAY in about a week. I made them Approx. $1400.00 in 6 weeks. Apparently that is not enough to help me, the seller. Very Poor of EBAY not to protect Sellers Rights.

First off - "it can't get much worse than that?" It sure can - the buyer could easily have stolen both the ring AND the box, not just the box. 

That aside ... 

You are correct; eBay does not protect sellers. The only choice sellers have is to take steps to protect themselves. One of those steps is to build a reserve against losses. 

If you made $1,400 fro eBay in six weeks, that means you sold about $14,000 and would be on pace for $120,000 over the course fo a year. Setting aside just 2% of your sales for a "loss fund" would provide you with a $2400 buffer for such cases. 

But there is no way to prevent fraud and every seller has to make a risk vs. reward calculation and decide whether the venue is worth selling on. Only you can determine whether the loss of that ring box is enough to consider giving up $120,000 in potential business. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It is not the loss of the ring box, it is the fact that EBay would not help at all and I was lied to by EBay. I don't accept that from anybody. There are other places to sell. Thanks for your input

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

EBay does not even know what either of those quotes mean
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Ha Ha. That is Great, Unfortunately, I am not that kind of person. I did block her already, Thanks. And she is asking way to much for the ring she is selling.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

"..LOL It is amazing how low some people will stoop in this world..."

..and for Kay Jewelers ring box... or any other item...Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

".. I am not that kind of person.."

Sometimes you have to fight fire whith fire....Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Your Awesome
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Everyone, except my mother in law, thinks so...Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

That is Ebay it sucks here dont expect much this place is a dirt hole.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You didn't make eBay money.  You made yourself 15k and paid eBay for services you chose to purchase and have obviously suffered only 1 loss in more than 200 sales...less than 1% loss is fabulous in jewelry categories. And you lost a box, not even the ring!

You're lucky you got the ring back. There is nothing eBay would have done if you hadn't gotten it back!

Manage your risk. It's not eBay's problem.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I have been selling on ebay for 15 years and they have always protected the buyer.  The seller pays the fees but ebay cares more about the buyers even when the sellers get SCREWED.  I just had a non payer and ebay will not allow me to post negative feedback.  That is crazy.  So the next seller gets screwed by this buyer and no one is aware.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Yes - it stinks that you cannot leave negative feedback, but the buyer (even if they are using the system) can say whatever they want about the buyer.

We are always happy to accept a return or send a new item to our buyers if something is damaged or broken.  We want them happy.  However, it sucks when we have had those over the past few months that have asked to return something just because they don't like it or the packaging (and we are very detailed about what kind of packing it comes in).  eBay has sided with the seller every time, even when we have proof that they buyer is using the system.

No protection for us as the seller at all.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

"There are other places to sell."

--------

To my knowledge, there is no other place to sell which has a 0% loss risk to sellers.

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 15 of 17
latest reply