cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY BAIT & SWITCH SCAM aka changed my listing to best offer

My eBay Item number:  123391436598 changed to best offer by eBay (I NEVER USE BEST OFFER).  Asked eBay rep what I should say to poor buyer and since she did not give me a straigt answer, I sent buyer the following (sincerely hope they don't take it the wrong way...but did not know what else to do??

"Hi,

I just got off the phone with the Ebay rep. I told her I DID NOT CHANGE this listing to best offer or that I have EVER USED BEST OFFER in any of my listings. I don't like to play eBay games when I list an item, so I put the price I can accept in the BIN price so people are clear what is being offered and won't have their time wasted and can find a price they are looking for. She told me the revision was made on Oct 1st at like 11 am, which I was not even home when this happened. She suggested that I should changed my passwords to prevent this from happening??? (who would even hack someone's account to do this??). I asked her what I should tell the poor buyer who now thinks there is a best offer listing and she was just all cold and was like just cancel the offer. I told her that this does not seem very friendly or customer oriented and that the buyer is of course going to think of it as my fault and not eBay's.

Basically she is lying, because I have now read on the message boards where they are doing this now to ALOT of sellers and you can see posted here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=changed%20to%20best%20offer&sort_by=-t...

This IS UNACCEPTABLE and just deceptive on eBay's part!!!!! Sadly, I will need to decline the offer you made as I never accepted a b/o in the first place. But I would sincerely appreciate if you would also call eBay that as a buyer what they are doing is extremely deceptive and nothing short of a bait and switch scam!! You can reach them directly at (877) 322-9227 (call time should be short as I got right through in like 30 seconds), Until we as a united community start making a point to clearly complain to them (since they don't even read their own message boards) they will never stop their deceiving practices!

And I am so extremely sorry you got caught up in all this. Unlike eBay will ever do, I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,"

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: EBAY BAIT & SWITCH SCAM aka changed my listing to best offer

Not sure why they are doing this.  Will only hurt the eBay site in the end.  😞

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You sent a potential buyer all that? They don’t care! Just decline their offer.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Also (this is kind of off topic, but still an ebay **bleep**), I have quite a few buyers.  And I totally understand if they don't want to be bothered leaving positive feedback.  So I would estimated (compared to actual sales) 80-90% of buyers don't leave any feedback.  YET, eBay judges me on the actual 10-20% postive feedback left against the negatives!  This makes sense to them how!!

I may be wrong about this....if anyone knows any different...input would be sincerely appreciated.  Makes me feel like I am back at school being picked for teams for gym class, but instead of being picked from the WHOLE class, I am only being picked from 3 other classmate (two of whom are like 5 feet tall and total atheletes...I'm sure we all had those types of classmates in school...not that I cared they were like that....just don't like the fact that I am blatantly being judged against them when I was more of the scholastic type).  😞

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

My understanding is that if you use the Advanced listing tool that Best Offer will NOT be used unless you add it.

Patd

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No, I sent the buyer ALL THAT because NOT ONLY did they send me an offer, they ALSO sent me a separate message:   "What's your max offer price I really would like to buy the eyeshadow from you".  I am not here just to make a buck (I have been in business for 30 years and have enough of that), but I wanted to have a business where buyers are sincerely happy with their purchases.  I always go out of my way (even when eBay asks and it's not really fair to me) but will refund a buyer, just in the end so they will be happy with their transaction.  As a buyer myself, I would be made as h#ll if this kind of tactics were being implemented to me wasting my time with these shady tactics.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

EACTLY, so why was it changed?  I listed the item (even looked it up few times to see how it was doing in the listing search), but I did not change it to best offer.  This was not a user error ( I have been selling on here for 5 years.  I do not nor ever have used the best offer feature).   I sincerely appreciate your response on this tho.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Oh and I was just trying to kind of make the same point you were with your posting "The New And Improved Ebay NOT".  As you stated (AND BELIEVE ME, I TOTALLY 100% AGREE WITH YOU):

"I'm know there is more, too much to remember really, but i'm sure you get the gist. What in the heck are we sellers paying for??"

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

eBay has occasionly (not all the time) changed my listings to "Best Offer". It is irritating when they do that because I have to go in and correct them. If I had wanted "Best Offer", I would have added "Best Offer". My night lights are priced at a reasonable price, and if you look at my history, you will see that they sell (with no problem) at that price. I don't want "Best Offer" added to my listings. I went several months without them adding it to any of my listings, but they started doing it again last night. I have decided that I will close my store if they keep adding it to my listings. I have several other stores (off of eBay) that are doing great. I don't need the aggravation of having to always check my listings to make sure they are correct.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ccc-carolynscosmeticscorner wrote:

Oh and I was just trying to kind of make the same point you were with your posting "The New And Improved Ebay NOT".  As you stated (AND BELIEVE ME, I TOTALLY 100% AGREE WITH YOU):

"I'm know there is more, too much to remember really, but i'm sure you get the gist. What in the heck are we sellers paying for??"

That wasn’t me that said that on that thread. I mentioned ad block.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

This happened to me.  New account, listed 10 items with 5 day auctions late at night on Sept 4.   Next day, notification  that an item sold, was paid for and I need to ship item out.  I was surprised because (1) auction time hadn't expired and (2) sold for under my beginning bid.  E**ay had added "make offer and automatic accept offer of $2 on all 10 listings.  I changed my listings to a more acceptable offer price (I generally don't do, but I allowed it because I think they were promoting those types of listings and I need to get sales history).

I shipped item out because I didn't want to get a defect right off the bat.  My first sale netted me $1 after fees, but I now have my first feedback.  I wondered why I didn't get notification that I needed to re-list my auctions when they ended and found out that the automatic re-list box was also checked.  I also couldn't change from auction to BIN listing.  I had to wait until new month to get my listings the way I wanted them.  I also had to mess around with account settings because paypal preferred wasn't showing up in listings.

Don't know why it happened the way it did, I work off desktop application, not mobile app, but I don't like having to monitor items to make sure they stay the way I set them up.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Which listing tool are you using?

Are you using the Quick List tool?  If you are stop and switch to the Advanced Listing tool.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 12
latest reply