cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

Message 1 of 258
latest reply
257 REPLIES 257

I think I see where you are coming from summerland, I have repeat keywords, not specific duplicate items. But I still don't see why it would make the difference all the sudden. I am still not convinced the new managed payments don't have anything to do with something going on.
I will keep the repeat keywords in mind for the future. Thank You
Message 31 of 258
latest reply

Thx for your advice! I changed the titles (don't know if it's enough). Will see if it helps.

Message 32 of 258
latest reply

Its just a theory that i have atm and i thinks its only became relevant the last week, ebay did say about it in autumn newsletter...its anybodys guess what is being classed as a duplicate {apart from the obvious}

Here is the duplicate tool ... http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/DuplicateListings.htm

pop your names in , you both have issues {though only 1 or 2}

Message 33 of 258
latest reply

I am in the same boat. Great sales during the summer, which was unusual, and then at the end of September nothing. I have read on some blogs that there is a new CEO; and he is changing the categories, which appears to be messing up things. Still not for sure that is the problem. My sales slowed long before the hurricanes, the stock market dive, or any other disaster. I am thinking that eBay has done something to their searches. Possibly the paid to be seen fee is a priority and all others nothing. Many years ago, eBay forgot who pays who. We pay them they do not pay us. If there was another site trust me I would leave eBay in a heart beat.
Message 34 of 258
latest reply

Well I haven't noticed an overall downturn over the past 5 days - but then my sales have never been consistent.   I have four ebay non-store accounts (had two accounts with stores before Feb.) - three of which have been doing OK - sports, books, and crafts.   Except for July, this collectibles account has been slower than the previous 18 years - in part because I moved all book and craft listings to their own accounts in Feb/Mar, in part because the collectibles market has been evolving.     

I downsized my glass, china, and decorative inventory two years ago  when I moved to Florida - largely because the market on ebay had been slowing since the recession, and shipping had gotten too expensive especially with Florida as the point of origin.    

Your $17,000 in sales considering today's collectible glass and china market is impressive,  but if there is one thing I've learned in both brick & mortar and online businesss - it's that what happened last week, last month, or last year is always subject to change - sometimes for no apparent reason. 

I also think sellers complaining of a slow October are underestimating the impact of first Florence, and now Michael - not only to the victims of the storms, but those doing their part to help out. 

As for the K in Korner - I can't take credit for that.   I wrote a column for a local newspaper many years ago and the editor decided to call it Kathie's Korner with a K, and I've just used it for my thrift and gift businesses ever since. 

Message 35 of 258
latest reply

I always avoid promoted listings like the plague when buying because there always seem to be lots of other listings for the same product for significantly cheaper.
Message 36 of 258
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

Well I haven't noticed an overall downturn over the past 5 days - but then my sales have never been consistent.   I have four ebay non-store accounts (had two accounts with stores before Feb.) - three of which have been doing OK - sports, books, and crafts.   Except for July, this collectibles account has been slower than the previous 18 years - in part because I moved all book and craft listings to their own accounts in Feb/Mar, in part because the collectibles market has been evolving.     

I downsized my glass, china, and decorative inventory two years ago  when I moved to Florida - largely because the market on ebay had been slowing since the recession, and shipping had gotten too expensive especially with Florida as the point of origin.    

Your $17,000 in sales considering today's collectible glass and china market is impressive,  but if there is one thing I've learned in both brick & mortar and online businesss - it's that what happened last week, last month, or last year is always subject to change - sometimes for no apparent reason. 

I also think sellers complaining of a slow October are underestimating the impact of first Florence, and now Michael - not only to the victims of the storms, but those doing their part to help out. 

As for the K in Korner - I can't take credit for that.   I wrote a column for a local newspaper many years ago and the editor decided to call it Kathie's Korner with a K, and I've just used it for my thrift and gift businesses ever since. 

Sales stopped for me on the 6th, then I had a push on Friday and Saturday. Today has been a bust so far.

Message 37 of 258
latest reply

Biggest slump I have ever had with ebay.  Last 31 days down 74.5%.  Year ago sales down 90.2%.

1 sale for last week.  So far this weekend, NADDA single sale.   Weekends have always been my best

sales.  hahahaha not no more!!!

I tried the FREE SHIPPING AND FREE RETURNS.  Not any more.

I do not follow what ebay wants me to do any more.

I do not offer FREE SHIPPING

I do not offer FREE RETURNS.

Sure I don't get the 10% discount from ebay,  but BIG deal.

For what I was spending for the FREE RETURNS, it was no big deal to get that 10% from ebay.

With being 90.2% from a year ago....guess I will be saving alot, not having to pay ebay any money.

Guess the new CEO doesn't care if the sales are down.   Maybe he should think....if it isn't broken don't fix it.

Good Luck Sellers!!!

Message 38 of 258
latest reply

Same.  Few sales, no questions, no offers.   

Of the 19 sellers my husband and I watch, this weekend they have had a total combined 7 sales for a combined total of $71.50.  

Frankly im tired of the excuses. 

Oh, its not Ebay.  

Its the weather.  

Its the stock market.  

Its the market thats changing. Collectibles are a dead or dying market.  

Its sellers who are mean.

People are worried about paying their a/c bills.

People are worried about paying their heat bills.

Its back to school.

Its school letting out.

Its vacation time.

Its gas prices.

Just be patient.

Check your metrics.

Its you.

Change your listings.

Change your key words.

Change your pictures.

Offer 30 no 60 no 90 day returns.

Offer free shipping.

Oh your price is $1 more.

Lower your prices.

Its you being negative.

You just dont want to change with times.

Dont suggest its Ebays fault.

Just wait, they will fix the glitch of the week.

Its their platform.  You agreed to their rules.

All sites have glitches.

No other site has such traffic.

Sellers only come here to complain. Its a small section/percentage of sellers.  Everyone else is doing well and doesnt have time to complain.

What utter rubbish.

Sometimes it is Ebay's fault.  

Remember the "apology" from July 3rd?  The one without an explanation or transparent disclosure of what went wrong and corrective measures to prevent this happening again.

To me, this downturn seems too widespread across categories, duration, and geography to be anything but Ebays fault just as was the July incident Ebay apologized for.

I got the message, intended or not, and am listing on 2 other sites.  Collectibles surely arent dead either place.  In 2 weeks, ive sold more on those 2 sites than than in the last 2 months on Ebay.  

I just need the cha ching sound and ill be happy.  😉

Message 39 of 258
latest reply

@delawareoutdoordecor  Please advise what you sell ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 40 of 258
latest reply

I sell on 4 eBay stores....

DelawareOutdoorDecor, BrandywineDecor, BrandywineDecor&More, and MisterManCave. 

After I wrote my initial post, I had good sales on Saturday (10/13, with another 4 sales and questions today (Sunday 10/14). I’m curious to know why sales were detrimentally low on Thursday and Friday (1 sale each day), which has. Never happened to my stores before. It’s the odd down-turns that have me concerned....and when sales spontaneously shoot off the map I wonder if eBay has my store listings completely available for everyone to see. I have read the conspiracy theories on here and elsewhere, and when sales drop to low and stay there for a few days after great sales the days before...something seems off. My gross sales last year were over $125,000.00. I never I had “death spiral” set of days with 1 sale a day. It bears explanation. 

Message 41 of 258
latest reply

@mister-collectible  Thanks for the info ... hard to explain your particular drop in sales but keep in mind a good part of the southeast just went through two rather nasty hurricanes and who knows what ripple effects that might have in the buying community.  Sales in collectibles, antiques, vintage, etc. seem to be relatively consistent with most purchases coming on weekends ... with 2 IDs and one being much newer the split between the accounts seems to be consistent too with the older account always outselling the newer one by 1/2 to 2/3s ... can't explain that because they sell similar things PLUS items are shifted back and forther between  the accounts so 1/3 of the listings appear on each account (taking turns being listed of course NOT for sale at the same time).

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 42 of 258
latest reply

Yes I am having slow sales despite having one of the best summers I have had selling here? I dont now what's up maybe the "getting ready for winter" thing Heating oil,new winter tires, etc..though most of my sales are from Texas and Ca...forget about the southern states for a while as they have been hit hard w/ weather.

Message 43 of 258
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here , dramatic sales. Worse ever month since 10 years.

Message 44 of 258
latest reply

ditto on the sales. Sales rate plummeted on Sept 27th. for me. anyone know of any updates that were implemented? 

Message 45 of 258
latest reply