cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't you just love it when...

...a user asks you a question on an item they have no intention on buying? Example:
-"HeLLo, R tHeR nE fLaWz w/ ThIs ShIRt?"
-Well the description says its in great condition but whatever, they just want to make sure. Thats fine
-*walk down to my basement*
>*dig out the tote the shirt is in* yes they're heavy
>*go through the tote to find the shirt*
>*find the shirt at the bottom of the tote*
>*examine the shirt closely*
>"I just looked over the shirt and the shirt is in excellent condition, no flaws"
>*crickets*
>Never hear from them again, no sale, back in the tote you go

Or how about...
>"LoWeSt PriCe?"
>Boy they put a lot of effort into that one, but I've had these jeans for a while & I really want to get rid of them so...
>"How does 50% off sound?"
>*crickets*
>Never hear from them again

My personal favorite though:
"HeLlO, WaT cOlOr iS Th ShIRT"
>SMH. Well the Item Specifics state "Red" and there are multiple pictures, so...
>"Hi, the shirt is red"
>*crickets*
>Never hear from them again

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

-Well the description says its in great condition...

@mordecai8614   

Perhaps it would have been better to expand a bit on "great" when writing the description.  "Great" is relative and not as descriptive as 'no tears, rips, pilling, or stains' just for an example. 

That is not to say you still won't get annoying questions from users with spelling issues, but it may cut down on some of them by being a bit more explanatory instead of saying "great".    As a buyer I really dislike generalities such as "great condition for its age" or "good vintage condition" which tends to suggest that there is something wrong with it that you don't want to talk about.  Another favorite is to simply say "see pics for condition" when there are blurry photos taken six feet away in a closet with the lights out.  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I would simply look at the pictures on my listing and read the condition on the listing before answering.

As for the other questions, one should not assume all Ebay buyers are able to read English. Or have the attention span to read the description of the product. And the pictures may be unreadable on their smartphone and the Ebay app.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I do elaborate and put "no rips, holes, or stains" if applicable for most of my clothes. I just didn't mention it because that really wasn't the point of the story. I don't mind people asking questions about my items, even dumb questions, because it does sometimes lead to sales. But when they get the answer they wanted & then don't buy, its like what are we doing? lol

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@mordecai8614 I know what you mean, I have this exact thing happen to me but not over clothing. It leaves me wondering why they didn't purchase after I made sure to answer all of their questions and spent the extra time on them. My conclusion is that they are sending multiple messages out and end up purchasing from another seller. Either that or they just got distracted by something else and forget to come back- look something shiny. Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

If that is exactly how those were sent to you; I would just respond

eyeHvNOidea becuzI'm jes sellingAsis

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers

Solid. You're speaking their language & since there are already red flags from their question, you're not commiting to claiming anything which could be used against you when the inevitable return claim comes. I like it!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I have found people who ask questions seldom ever buy the item.  And those that ask more that one round of questions can be real trouble if they do. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

But when they get the answer they wanted & then don't buy, its like what are we doing?

@mordecai8614 

I totally get it.  I sold here for over 24 years.  I did not mean to call you out on descriptions, but merely to give a buyer's prospective on certain occasions.  I am just a buyer here now, and sell elsewhere.  You still get the stupid questions and the non-buyer results in other venues. The F.Book  "is this available" is an example.  I get at least 40 or 50 of those a day.   It is a strain to still remain "nice" when asked 'do you ship?' when the exact cost is the FIRST FREAKING LINE of the post.......!!!!!!!  

My all time favorite was on eBay, of course......"How tall is your 4.5 vase?"   

Me:   Hello, and thank you for taking the time to ask. The vase is four and a half inches tall. Thanks for looking, and have a great day!

Me thinking:  #@$%#### not again &%##@%

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

99.9% of people who ask questions, especially questions that are already answered in the description, such as what is inseam … do not buy the item … we answer questions promptly and professionally, but rarely does it lead to an actual sale.

If they send several messages, especially with questions that could be answered by just reading the description, get blocked. Experience has taught us that those buyers are going to cause future headaches.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

For Best Offers you can set parameters to automatically refuse lowball offers.

The customer gets a polite Message from eBay telling them to try again.

You can also set an Acceptable parameter to automatically accept a reasonable offer.

I rarely have to communicate with any customer because I have those parameters set.

And interestingly, often the accepted Offer is higher than my acceptable price.

Telling a customer the red shirt is red, is not really very helpful.

Some boilerplate about computer monitors giving different colour values probably should be in there along with a more accurate colour name - scarlet, cherry, vermilion, ruby, cardinal, carmine, wine, for example.

And sometimes the question lets you know what you might have left out- like a 4.5 tall vase. Is that inches, centimeters, feet, meters?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I guess that I'm lucky. The last few that sent questions were valid, like no width of an item in my listing, or a pic of the back of the item. The vast majority that ask a questions buy it, tho the one that was missing the width didn't. That's okay. Just don't expect an answer right away if you are asking me at 2:20 A.M. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Some boilerplate about computer monitors giving different colour values probably should be in there along with a more accurate colour name - scarlet, cherry, vermilion, ruby, cardinal, carmine, wine, for example.

@reallynicestamps

Yea and then when I tell them "it looks scarlet red" and they get the item and say "ackshully, it looks more like cherry red 0257", then I'm on the hook for an INAD. Nope, not playing that game lol

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

As a seller I answer all questions, but they almost never buy. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. As a buyer, if I ask a question, especially on something like inseam, I always thank them if I don't buy it, and let them know it wouldn't work for me. Trying to pay it forward.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

If you are sure of that, your answer should be to ignore the question and immediately Block anyone who asks a question

Perhaps adding a note "If you don't see the answer in this listing, do not ask for further information because you will be blocked. Have a blessed day."

Because you should give them fair warning.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply