cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't feel comfortable selling to buyer

Hello, I sold an item to what appears to be...not necessarily a scam but not really a person. I've done some research into these types of accounts and read anything from "I got scammed" to "everything was fine." I don't really feel comfortable sending my item to this "person" but I'm not sure about the etiquette of refusing to send something to an account I don't trust.  I'm not sure about reporting this account as I don't see that they've done anything wrong per say. It just smells fishy, so to speak. Any advice? Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Don't feel comfortable selling to buyer

@mtn.vintage wrote:

will often report items as not received or damged upon arrival.

Look at their number of FB. Now factor in that they have several eBay accounts all with high FB. With that many transactions under their belt, it's inevitable that a portion will have issues, no? Laws of percentages?

Not received is not a concern if you have tracking confirming delivery - you will win a not received claim. If your package isn't delivered then insurance would cover you.

Damaged upon arrival - well I've shipped plenty to Shop Airlines and never had a single issue with them so I'd venture to say that many of the damage claims are legit either from sellers' bad packing or from carrier damage. Pack well and it's the same as any other transaction to any other buyer. There is no greater level of risk involved. In fact, it's probably less of a risk because they're so solid.

@mtn.vintage wrote:

Aaaand now I've accepted my own reply as a solution. I'm such a nub.

That really doesn't matter, but if you'd like to change it you can. Go to the solution post, hit the little arrow in the upper right corner and there's an option that says something like 'this is not the solution' - select that and you'll be free to mark any other post as your chosen solution.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You've said nothing about why you're concerned. Did the buyer send a message?

If it's a 0 FB account, that by itself means nothing. I ship to them daily - often people using guest checkout. New buyers should be encouraged.

You're not selling high-scam items.

You can't cancel without an account defect.

So what's the concern about @mtn.vintage?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

They're not a 0, quite the opposite. They have over 84,000 reviews. I get the impression they're a foreign entity that employs massive amounts of people to buy products and will often report items as not received or damged upon arrival. And when I went into their profile they had a positive review from me which I definitely haven't contributed. It's very strange.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Is it Shop Airlines? They're great. They sell to Japanese market.

GLORIOUS!

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

It is indeed. I'm still a little hesitant but it's nice to see something good said about them. It's odd to see a positive review by "me" on their review page though...that's a little offputting. How does that happen?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

You must have sold to them in the past without realizing it.

I've probably sold 100 items through them over the years without any problems.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@mtn.vintage wrote:

And when I went into their profile they had a positive review from me which I definitely haven't contributed. It's very strange.

Did you set auto-feedback? Or maybe you did have sales with them or bought from them before and you forgot? I'd think an account with over 84000 feedback should be pretty safe to sell to.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm just a little cautious as I've only been doing this for a year and my very first "sell" ever was an attempted scam lol

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I don't understand why yourself and some other people feel this way, and when they do, why they don't reach out and try to communicate with the buyer? If the buyer will not communicate, then that could be a red flag. One sale for me, a very good sale had some really un-orthodox conditions, but I went ahead and sent them the thing. The buyer stated that he was on his touring bus and want me to send it to the front desk of a famous hotel in las Vegas in care of his name, so I did, and it did not come back, but it seemed bizarre to me because they had a zero score. I had confidence that if anything happened, eBay would stand up for me, and make it right, if things went bad, but nothing happened, and I made a good sale. I learned that it is not up to us sellers, we must do are duty and be ready to take a hit when and if we are hit, then we are to reach out to eBay, good luck with your decision.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

They're probably just resellers themselves. When I've sold to someone with massive amount of feedback, everything went fine, and I never heard a thing from them.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm just a little cautious as I've only been doing this for a year and my very first "sell" ever was an attempted scam lol

Not sure which item this relates to but if this was your first sale not sure whether it was one of the 14 items you have sold in the last 90 days or something before that. Looking at your recent sales there is nothing in tht group that I would consider to be a high value or high target item for scammers but everything seems to be fair game these days. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@mtn.vintage wrote:

will often report items as not received or damged upon arrival.

Look at their number of FB. Now factor in that they have several eBay accounts all with high FB. With that many transactions under their belt, it's inevitable that a portion will have issues, no? Laws of percentages?

Not received is not a concern if you have tracking confirming delivery - you will win a not received claim. If your package isn't delivered then insurance would cover you.

Damaged upon arrival - well I've shipped plenty to Shop Airlines and never had a single issue with them so I'd venture to say that many of the damage claims are legit either from sellers' bad packing or from carrier damage. Pack well and it's the same as any other transaction to any other buyer. There is no greater level of risk involved. In fact, it's probably less of a risk because they're so solid.

@mtn.vintage wrote:

That really doesn't matter, but if you'd like to change it you can. Go to the solution post, hit the little arrow in the upper right corner and there's an option that says something like 'this is not the solution' - select that and you'll be free to mark any other post as your chosen solution.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

You have sold nothing recently that would be a scam target.  There is no need to refuse to ship.  I assume it is being sent to a freight forwarder.  These companies are not problematic unless you are selling an item that is always problematic selling on Ebay like an expensive gaming equipment.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@mtn.vintage wrote:

It just smells fishy, so to speak. 

This sentence made me giggle because I checked your sold items as soon as I opened this topic but before I even finished reading your OP! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 19
latest reply