cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ebay "double dip" on international fees?

I try to avoid selling anything outside the USA, but I recently had a buyer in Ontario Canada.  Ebay charged me $10.00 for an international fee, and after talking to the buyer, they also charged him about the same amount (this is in addition to the shipping fee we always pay whether international or not).  Is this just another case of a greedy ebay again or am I missing something?  It feels like some more unethical fee policy to me.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Does ebay "double dip" on international fees?

This just happened to me. I have blocked all International sales since the beginning yet a buyer in Toronto Canada made a purchase using a freight forward shipping address in the US and I was charged an "International Fee".  SO... even if a Seller blocks International sales, if a buyer circumvents the Seller's policy Ebay will collect a fee. The only way out is to cancel the sale-reason being "issue with address" and refund the buyer which is what I will do from now on. Ebay will refund fees to the Seller.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

If you are an eBay seller in the United States
And you agree to ship to addresses in the United States

You MUST ship any sold item to an address within the United States.

You cannot be in the State of New York
and refuse to send an item to a paying buyer who has a mailing address in the State of Delaware  
by "cancel[ling] the same-reason being 'issue with address'. "  

There is no inherent "issue" or "problem" with a mailing address in the State of Delaware.  

My selling ID loves my buyers with names like Olga and Tatiana who have mailing addresses in the State of Delaware.  Just as much as I love my buyers with names like Kate who has a mailing address in California, Laura in Iowa, Arthur in Pennsylvania, and Dorothy in Arkansas.  Their money is all green once it gets into my checking account and out through an ATM.  

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

They didn't charge him "international fees"

EBay Canada is now required to collect sales taxes, just as they do in the USA, UK. EU, and Australia

Many buyers are surprised by this.

Ontario's HST (combined federal and provincial tax) is 13% .

Sales tax is collected by the shipping company (usually Canada Post).

The Canada Post service charge for this is $9.95(Cdn).

Imports with the new NAFTA are charged  duty on any shipment valued over $150 and sales taxes over $40.

So what he is seeing is likely the Canada Post service charge.

If you used GSP all those fees would be lumped in with shipping and he would not get a surprise on his doorstep.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply