cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ebay Global Shipping re-package my item?

I'm in ebay global shipping. I have a buyer who is international who is complaining that their item was ruined because of the way it was packaged, has to do with tape on the packaging ruining the item.

The way I package, there is no tape touching the item inside. The buyer provided photos (within the return details) but for some reason they don't load, I can't see them. I've tried uploading a test photo too and neither me or the buyer can see it. It just shows that we uploaded a default "broken image" thumbnail.

Do any of you know if ebay can sometimes re-package an item during global shipping program? I'm wondering if that could be the case and they caused the item to get ruined. I asked the buyer to just email me the photos, but he says he doesn't know how yet... weird.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Tell the Buyer to open an Item Not as Described Case in the Resolution Center and indicate in the case details that the GSP shipped the item.  You will need to respond to the case that the GSP shipped it.  Then a follow up call to eBay may be helpful.

You are covered.  The GSP is responsible.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@godzilla_gooose Yes I totally agree with you about this now. I didn't even know GSP would re-package your item. I can see how this can be a big problem for me if they do this every time.

One problem about if I were to just not use GSP and ship to international on my own is that the shipping price to another country (with actual tracking to protect me against INR with successfully delivered scans) costs about 20+ dollars already. I doubt anyone will pay that much s/h for my t shirts.

But then again, I don't know how much the buyers pay in addition to my prices to get their item by ebay GSP. I don't even understand how GSP works for buyers. If they pay 20 extra dollars, then they might as well pay it to me to not mess up their packages.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Oh, by the way. I just called ebay and without hesitation they said they will close the return the buyer opened and refund them for me and let me keep my funds.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@porcupid_63 wrote:

@godzilla_gooose Yes I totally agree with you about this now. I didn't even know GSP would re-package your item. I can see how this can be a big problem for me if they do this every time.

One problem about if I were to just not use GSP and ship to international on my own is that the shipping price to another country (with actual tracking to protect me against INR with successfully delivered scans) costs about 20+ dollars already. I doubt anyone will pay that much s/h for my t shirts.

But then again, I don't know how much the buyers pay in addition to my prices to get their item by ebay GSP. I don't even understand how GSP works for buyers. If they pay 20 extra dollars, then they might as well pay it to me to not mess up their packages.

Quite often, they pay much more than it would otherwise cost to receive if you shipped directly.  Buyers purchasing from sellers using GSP are paying taxes even on items that are exempt.  You as a seller only see the domestic costs they pay to get it to Kentucky, unless you go into the listing, change your location temprarily to the buyer's country, and then have a look at the shipping and payments tab to see the real cost they pay.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

So I jumped the gun when I said ebay agreed to just refund the buyer and let me keep the funds. The buyer just told me that ebay refunded them for the price of the shirt and not the s/h that they paid. Is this normal when ebay "covers" me for GSP? Why shouldn't the buyer get their s/h refunded on a damaged item caused by GSP?

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Refunding shipping is just a ebay thing. Not something done by USPS the transportation has been done correctly and the damaged item was covered by the refund...

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

As far as not knowing what a international buyer is going to pay for shipping just go into one of your listed items and click on the see shipping and reset it to any country and it will show you the cost for shipping the buyer sees. A Canada buyer is charged $13.73 priority mail for a LA Dodger T shirt and if you check I don't think without GSP a seller could send it that cheaply on their own...

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Refunding shipping is just a ebay thing. Not something done by USPS the transportation has been done correctly and the damaged item was covered by the refund...

So if the GSP program caused damage to the item, ebay will only cover the cost of the item and not the s/h cost? I understand that the act of delivering the item was completed... but what's the point of that when they are delivering a worthless/damaged item that they caused in the first place?

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

USPS can destroy items and if you're lucky and they award you the insurance claim all thats refunded is items price. They won't refund for the part of the transaction that was successful I.E. the getting the item there....

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

The silver lining is had you used anyone else other than P.B. you're be eating the entire loss due to someone else along the line making a error. You did your part correctly and weren't punished for someone elses mistake...

Message 25 of 25
latest reply