cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay ever allow the inclusion of artwork and/or text in listing photos?

The official eBay policy expressly forbids the inclusion of artwork, text, and watermarks in listing photos, yet I see several sellers doing this repeatedly. This practice appears to be especially common among high-volume sellers. Do they have special privileges in this regard that low-volume sellers do not have?

Various eBay CS agents have given me all sorts of conflicting answers to this question, some of it total rubbish. Many of them seem to have a complete misunderstanding of the rules for listing photos.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Does eBay ever allow the inclusion of artwork and/or text in listing photos?

One of those oft-ignored and scoffed at rules, even when brought up here on the boards.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Does eBay ever allow the inclusion of artwork and/or text in listing photos?

Seems there are plenty of other eBay rules that are often scoffed at and ignored -- like the rules for returning items; plenty of absolute horror stories there...

Interestingly, when I first began listing vintage IBM keyboards on eBay, some of the photos I tried to upload were rejected by eBay's photo-scanning software because the letters and numbers on the keys were interpreted as "text" and therefore not allowed. An eBay CS agent told me to rotate the keyboard to an odd angle so the scanning software would not "see" the letters and numbers.

If the no-artwork, no-text, no-watermarks rule is not enforced when it is clearly violated, then that rule should be rescinded by eBay. Rules that are not enforced are meaningless. If return-item rules are similarly not enforced, those rules should also be rescinded and eBay can then officially become a den of thieves.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Watermarks are OK . . . for now. Lots of legitimate complaints from users forced eBay to reconsider.

Artwork or text that are part of the product or the photographed background are OK, too. Decorative borders added after the fact are not permitted.

Text added to promote a specific seller is not allowed, although an identifying user ID or copyright line at 50% opacity is acceptable. Likewise, buyers find some text on photos useful (size, color, etc.) when they are reviewing a search results list.

Personally, as a buyer, I would prefer that a listing's main gallery photo include a brief "title" as assurance that the seller knows what he/she is selling and that the photo belongs to the actual listing.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@1avid_collector  From your post I assume you have read at least one of the Help Pages below on the subject.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that certain things can be added to help clarify dimensions or issues with the item ... just can not recall which page I saw it on.  Anyway, I will combine pics to get more info on an item (sample below) and either use a solid line separating the panels or leave it white and add text and arrows to point out issues.  I think it "enhances the Buying exprience" to be honest.

I think when eBay outlawed "boarders" it was when photo programs added fancy boarders as a file extension which became a potential avenue for viruses (if my techno memory serves me correctly).  When I first started I knew nothing of the Policy and used Paint to add a colored boarder then saved the entire file as a .jpg file ... so NO file extension appeared with that type of formated picture.  Then a Member pointed out my violation and it took some time but I eventually corrected them ...

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/picture.html

TANKER ROCKET 6.JPG

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Re: "Watermarks are OK . . . for now. Lots of legitimate complaints from users forced eBay to reconsider."

Can you tell me where this OK for watermarks appears in print on eBay? A screen shot of the page where this appears would be helpful.

"Artwork or text that are part of the product or the photographed background are OK, too. Decorative borders added after the fact are not permitted."

Does the eBay definition of "part of the background" include the placement of artwork/text in the photo, such as a logo and/or text printed on a piece of cardboard and included within the photo? If so, where in eBay rules is this clearly stated? As before, a screen shot of the page where this appears would be helpful. I've been through the rules many times, and cannot remember if I've ever seen this. I do know that eBay encourages plain backgrounds, preferably white or grey with no distracting visual clutter.

"Text added to promote a specific seller is not allowed, although an identifying user ID or copyright line at 50% opacity is acceptable."

As with my previous comments, can you indicate where this is stated on eBay? Again, a screen shot of the page where this appears would be helpful. I thought they recently stopped permitting watermarks -- even the ones eBay would add to your photos if you indicated in your account settings that you wanted this feature.

No intention to be argumentative here, just want to be sure I understand the photo rules as they seem to change from time to time.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Attached is the only set of rules I've been able to find on eBay that pertain to what is allowed and what is not allowed in listing photos. If exceptions have been recently introduced by eBay, please tell me where to find them.

FirefoxScreenSnapz127.jpg

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

1avid_collector wrote:

Re: "Watermarks are OK . . . for now. Lots of legitimate complaints from users forced eBay to reconsider."

Can you tell me where this OK for watermarks appears in print on eBay? A screen shot of the page where this appears would be helpful.

link--> Watermark Removal Policy Enforcement Update

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@1avid_collector wrote:

No intention to be argumentative here, just want to be sure I understand the photo rules as they seem to change from time to time.

When in doubt, leave it out.  Lots of rules are interpreted even if not stated in print.  In general anything to promote the item or the seller, or to attract attention is not permitted.  As noted above, some marks and indicators to notate flaws or characteristics can be used.  Also I believe call outs like dimension lines and measurements can be included.  You'll sometimes see a ruler laying beside an item, but you may also see lines and arrows added in graphic form.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@1avid_collector wrote:

When in doubt, leave it out.  Lots of rules are interpreted even if not stated in print.  In general anything to promote the item or the seller, or to attract attention is not permitted.  As noted above, some marks and indicators to notate flaws or characteristics can be used.  Also I believe call outs like dimension lines and measurements can be included.  You'll sometimes see a ruler laying beside an item, but you may also see lines and arrows added in graphic form.

I agree with the when in doubt common sense practice of operating on ebay.  It saves sellers lots of time and work redoing listings later when ebay makes changes they hinted about earlier.

It has been obvious that ebay wants photos that they can use in catalog if they want to.  And ebay has hinted that they do not want any watermarks manipulated into the pixels of the picture.  But more and more I am seeing ebay ids and a few email addresses typed out on a separate item and placed in the picture as part of the picture.  The most ingenious I've seen recently was an email address and id on the ruler the seller was using to show size relation.

What I am finding interesting about the up to date rules posted, is that used items are not allowed to use stock photos. 

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

The most ingenious I've seen recently was an email address and id on the ruler the seller was using to show size relation.

What I am finding interesting about the up to date rules posted, is that used items are not allowed to use stock photos. 

'Twere it up to me, the ID would be OK, but not the email.

I'm good with prohibiting stock images for used items. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for posting the link to eBay's update on watermark policy. BTW I have no personal objection to the use of seller's identifying watermarks, artwork (such as a seller's logo) or text (depending on the content, of course). I would just prefer that all sellers comply with the same rules in the interest of fairness.

There are several issues that arise when such material is added to listing photos:

1. It can make the affected photo(s) look cluttered and less attractive.
  2. If placed over the for-sale item in the photo, flaws or other details may be concealed and the condition or features of the item may be more difficult to discern.
  3. An issue only for eBay: It becomes highly unlikely that the affected photos will be placed into the eBay catalog -- certainly not a problem for me as I don't want my photos to be made available to my competition anyway.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply