cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Paypal charge a fee if you refund a buyer through your credit card?

For the past six months or so I've been transferring my Paypal funds to my bank account ASAP. I've been wondering though, what happens if a buyer requests a return/refund and my Paypal balance is empty?

I'm not comfortable refunding someone through my bank account so the refund would have to go through my credit card. Does Paypal charge a fee for this type of refund? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Does Paypal charge a fee if you refund a buyer through your credit card?

PayPal may require that it come out of your banking account.
Besides it doesn't matter the money doesn't go from your bank to the buyer it goes to your PayPal account and buyer is refuned from there.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

PP charges a 30 cent transaction fee on every payment you receive.  That fee they keep even if there is a refund.

If a refund for any reason happens on your account and it takes you to a negative balance.  PP will notify you of the issue so that you can transfer money if needed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@rock.star wrote:
PayPal may require that it come out of your banking account.
Besides it doesn't matter the money doesn't go from your bank to the buyer it goes to your PayPal account and buyer is refuned from there.

I've never had this happen when I didn't have the entire funds available in my PP.  They have always given me the opportunity to transfer the money to cover it.  IDK if there are different rules for different size accounts.  I do know how it has worked for me.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I may be mistaken, but for some reason, I don't think that you can fund a refund with a credit card (and I don't recall why????). When I have had a zero cash balance and had to process a refund it was refunded as an e-check, charged against my bank. Buyer was not a happy refundee.............

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:

(and I don't recall why????).

Because it would cost PayPal money to do so.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:

I may be mistaken, but for some reason, I don't think that you can fund a refund with a credit card (and I don't recall why????). When I have had a zero cash balance and had to process a refund it was refunded as an e-check, charged against my bank. Buyer was not a happy refundee.............

It is simpler to just transfer money into your PP account.  Faster and easier.

They don't allow refunds from another CC because then PP has to pay a CC processing fee.  So they aren't going to want to do that.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:

I may be mistaken, but for some reason, I don't think that you can fund a refund with a credit card (and I don't recall why????).

Can you chargeback after using that credit card to fund a refund at PayPal? Or if you cash-advance to fund a refund, how punitive would the credit card fees?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@daw365 wrote:

@mansons2005 wrote:

I may be mistaken, but for some reason, I don't think that you can fund a refund with a credit card (and I don't recall why????).

Can you chargeback after using that credit card to fund a refund at PayPal? Or if you cash-advance to fund a refund, how punitive would the credit card fees?

It's not a question about how much the fees would be.

Basically funding a refund with a credit card would be like getting a cash advance on your card, only the company that issued the card can or will do that. Just like if you can get "cash back" at a grocery store if you use a debit card, no merchant is going to do that with a credit card, a) it would cost them money and probably b) it's not allowed by the card issuer.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the replies, makes sense that they wouldn't allow refunds through CCs with the fees involved.

Does anyone know if Paypal charges fees for transferring money from your bank account to your Paypal account? Google is only showing me results for transferring money from Paypal to a bank account, not the other way around.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

They don't charge you money.  

I haven't done it recently, but it used to take a couple of days.

I had a return opened once with too low a PP balance as I had recently swept it.  As soon as the request came in, I initiated the transfer.   It worked out just fine by the time I got the return.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@uzumakey wrote:
Google is only showing me results for transferring money from Paypal to a bank account, not the other way around.

First, add your bank account to PayPal, then:

https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2017_06/paypal.png.737dacfe6682fd62b2b1a6fec9d37fc2.png

Message 12 of 12
latest reply