cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Ebay not take BUYER scammers serious?

I 1000% caught a buyer trying to scam me out of my Ebay Motors listing.  After he paid Deposit Via Pay PAL he REFUSED to pay.the balance Via Pay Pal. he also refused to bring cash, use Venmo, Or let a Personal check, Certified Bank check, Or cashiers check clear before picking up the car.  The only thing he would Agee to was he bring a Check on a Sunday and that I give him the title and the car?  This buyer lives 900 miles away.  NO ONE would agree to that....Ebay has done nothing nor even asked to see the texts or verify the emails through EBAY?   Thoughts? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

My advice is to read and understand the rules. If a buyer asks for something outside the scope of the rules that you think is unreasonable, you can say no.

Ebay has a process. While I don't know anything about selling cars on ebay, I can guarantee that they aren't going to read your text messages to verify your story, presumably in order to decide something in your favor.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I agree with the above.

Never communicate with another eBayer, outside of the eBay message system.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You are probably 100% correct in your assessment, this has scam written all over it. Variation of a common scam ran on Craigslist where the buyer will send somebody with a cashiers check to pickup the item you are selling. My response is if they can bring a check they can bring the cash and I will have local law enforcement present to witness the transaction. If you go along with what they are proposing $5 will get you $10 that the check will never clear and you will have no money, no car and no title. I would assume you can just cancel this transaction because buyer is attempting to skirt the policies and rules. For sure report the buyer as potential scammer. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

IF, this is the 69 lincoln that sold on the 10th, I'd  cut my losses and walk away from the deal.

under payment terms

Deposit of US $1,000.00 within  hours of auction close
Full payment is required within 7 days of auction close

YOU ARE PAST THE 7 days. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I did say no and to only contact me though eBay.  He refused to pay, got his deposit back, then gave me negative feedback!!!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I did....   What Im most upset about is They know he tried to scam me and he left me negative feed back?!?  They are "looking" at removing??  Scammer has more rights than I do.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@tommyniner5rq9 wrote:

I did....   What Im most upset about is They know he tried to scam me and he left me negative feed back?!?  They are "looking" at removing??  Scammer has more rights than I do.

You did the right thing, GREAT!!!  

Unfortunately, not many do. Most get scammed, lose their money and item. 

Keep your eyes open and GOOD LUCK with future endeavors.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

some buyers are trying to scam. When you got the order check their previous feedback.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

At the end of the day EBAY knows he tried to scam me. They even said what I did was the right thing but they continue to protect a scammer.  They will monitor his account. whatever 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Ebay has nothing to do with vehicle sales past the 'deposit' portion; how you agree to meet and get paid and what you are willing to do is completely outside of their scope or care. 

BTW, you mentioned he refused to pay you via PP- good thing; because they can easily 'reverse' that payment stating anything from 'the item never shipped' etc. and you would have had no proof since you would've handed him the car and pink in person. NEVER take an electronic payment for a vehicle, except a wire transfer into a bank account that you open just for that transaction (not personal checking). 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Titled property sales on Ebay (vehicles and real estate) are NON-BINDING.

Either party can walk away from the deal at any time.

Be very, very happy he didn't want to pay by Paypal. The deposit is fine, the balance? No way, no how.

Here's how it should work: Buyer pays the deposit by Paypal. Buyer comes to see the car. If he likes it, he hands you the CASH (which you verify with a counterfeit detector pen) and you hand him the keys and title.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 12
latest reply